Forums > Beginner Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 10,726    Replies: 27
"So in most of the performance videos I have seen, very few people have done much BTB spinning.How much do you use BTB stuff when spinning and do you think it's essential? Or just someth..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,246    Replies: 4
"Hi there,Picked up Poi years ago but never learnt much beyond a 3 beat weave. I've been trying some new moves like high/low and tuck turns...which after an hour of being thoroughly conf..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,225    Replies: 6
"So I am starting to learn poi but i have heard a few different things regarding ergonomics of poi. i want to make sure i'm not spinning in a way that will hurt my body, as i use it for..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,958    Replies: 3
"Hi guys- I'm writing a paper for a folklore class about poi and I need a section on the jargon. I've been trying to figure out how to define a weave and haven't really come up with anyt..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,889    Replies: 8
"Hi EveryoneI have recently taken up learning the art of Poi and thought I would do something interesting.Follow me (Bruno Kopf) as I document my journey into Poi from complete beginner ..."
Views: 2,133    Replies: 0
"I posted this a while ago in the Advanced Poi forum, I figured beginners would find it interesting too.This article covers the basics of poi throws, the physics behind throws, cleaning ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 61,833    Replies: 81
"Hi there,some of you may remember this thread from several years ago. I decided to work on it and not only release the missing chapters but also improve the ones I had written so far ke..."
Last Reply by
Views: 51,163    Replies: 90
"I cannot get my head around the backward/reverse weave.I try and fail, the video just doesn't help.please anyone, I'm begging you help me, I haven't learnt a new move for like 2 days.Ma..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,781    Replies: 10
"I can get into a buzzsaw, but I never use them because I can't get out of them without it being complete slop and awkwardness. How does one cleanly get out and back to normal from this ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,726    Replies: 19
"I'm surprised there isn't a topic for this but when attempting to do a spiral wrap I came across and old adversary which is my preferred grip. I'm not sure if this is just a question or..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,377    Replies: 14
"I just cant help myself! I hope you are all getting something out of my volumous posts...if not sing out and I'll tape a hand behind my back or something to limit my keystrokes :))Anyho..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,590    Replies: 12
"has anyone else ever thought of a wallplane corkscrew? it looks cool but its kinda hard thoughts? ideas?"
Last Reply by
Views: 6,297    Replies: 19
"Ok, I hate to make a thread for this but I am horribly stuck on the three beat weave, and I've been trying to learn it for three days now. I went through a few videos teaching it, and a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,115    Replies: 18
"So as I have just ordered my first poi balls I have some questions. Is seems that most people in the instructional video's I have watched are using a fabric poi w/ the swirling chain ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,041    Replies: 6
"well i just started poi a month, i can due the butterfly, thread the needle, wrist wraps, reverse wrist wrap, but that dam 3-beat is confusing the hell out of me, and I always crack mys..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,112    Replies: 6
"Ok, I am really starting to feel like a bit of an idiot here... I'm slowly improving in various tricks but no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get a basic backwards split tim..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,979    Replies: 7
"Ok, I can thread the needle forward and really manipulate it to many positions to rock out pretty funky with it... However I'm trying to learn the reverse so I can nail the 4 beat ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,275    Replies: 30
"i don't know if im just incapable of ever learning how to do this behind my back, but all i ever accomplish are nice bruises. if anyone could help me by explaining how to position my h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,547    Replies: 20
"So, in learning the 3bt weave I did my left hand on top first, but I get into the three beat by crossing my right poi to my left and bring the left over top.Because that's how I get in..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,813    Replies: 14
"Ok so i have been spinning for about 3/4 weeks now and have learnt a few moves(butterflys, 3beat weave, windmill etc) but the one move that has made my life soo much easier and my spini..."
Last Reply by
Views: 12,862    Replies: 32
"I went to Electric Zoo here in NY 2009, and got my first taste of glowstringing. I saw my first fire poi back in 2006, but never gave it a try. I just started a month ago with some sh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,578    Replies: 27
"so has anyone thought of or tried anything with poi and dance or gymnastics?im trying to improve the look of simple moves by combining them with other disciplines, ideas?"
Last Reply by
Views: 45,597    Replies: 84
"Ok.....I feel like an idot because I still haven't gotten the weave. Right now it is the only thing holding me back from advancing. You would think that I wouldn't be able to do everyth..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,736    Replies: 8
"Being a beginner myself, I have found that it often helps to videotape yourself while spinning.What this does for me is, it allows me to step outside of myself and see from a third-pers..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,458    Replies: 17
"Ok, for a very long time I've been trying to figure this one out. I gave up and decided to ask. How do you do the move Nick is doing at 1:35-1:40 "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,359    Replies: 13
"I've gotten pretty far into spinning. I can do a lot of things but in the course of my practice today I noticed that I might be doing reels wrong and trying to do them how I think would..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,665    Replies: 9
"Hey I recently discovered Poi and I'm really excited just got my first Poi and was wondering if anyone could help me with how to hold them?They're just the basic ones without any handl..."
Last Reply by
Views: 49,582    Replies: 53
"- - -- - --- - ---- - ----- - ------ - ----- - ---- - --- - -- - -Introduction:Our idea is to create a structured way for the global poi community to all collaborate on an ongoing multi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,326    Replies: 4
"hey! I'm Jen. I'm new here, and I was just wondering,does anybody know of any poi or fire spinning classes in Merseyside? Myself and a friend would love to learn, but we're not sure ho..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,362    Replies: 16
"okay so I've only been seriously practicing poi for about a week now and while I have been learning tricks from this site, for the most part I've just been free spinning to music, then ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,925    Replies: 2
"ok so ive kinda got the feel for this move. i can get in and out fine but staying in it consistently is a problem for me. they either hit each other or get tangled. tips?"
Views: 1,941    Replies: 0
"has anyone got any routines that are simple but have went down well in shows? ive got a list of stuff i can do to show quality but i need some routine ideas?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,954    Replies: 10
"At least I think this is what it's called, if it isn't that would be why search came up with nothing. I have such a ridiculously bad time trying to get this. I can do it, but my mom des..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,484    Replies: 18
"Hey everyone,I was wondering what were some different techniques for adjusting the length of your poi while spinning. For instance, I like slightly longer poi for doing weaves/windmill..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,303    Replies: 3
"I've had my poi just over a week now and admittedly I've been learning somewhat slowly so far. I'm not the most coordinated individual in the world but I've been having fun.Currently I'..."
Last Reply by
Views: 21,356    Replies: 54
"Hi all, I'm new to poi (picked some up when i got fed up trying to learn fish tails on my staff) and working my way though the HoP lessons. i've got up to no 13 (Thread the Needle) and..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,973    Replies: 18
"i have the butter fly , the 2-5 beat weave, the 2 and 4 beat windmill, and the fountain! i need help on were to go next!!! i have no idea on what to do next!!!! plez help"
Last Reply by
Views: 8,978    Replies: 28
"Starting a thread. Every time your poi makes you angry enough to spit nails. Just cant seem to get that poi going how you want it to? Did you just whack the crappp outta yourself? Bump ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,947    Replies: 2
"OK, I can do pretty much every move I've put my mind to, I can do orbitals of all kinds, all these things with extra beats, btb stuff, play with isolations, but no matter how hard I try..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,223    Replies: 19
"First of all I didn't want this to be just in a poi section... I think it probably belongs in technical but I'd really like people from all different disciplines to read this and leave ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,141    Replies: 35
"I'm just wondering, seeing as I'm reasonably new to Poi, whether anyone recommends doing warm ups before trying new moves, etc? What kind of things do you do, just forward spins/backwar..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,495    Replies: 17
"this topic is about the families of movement in the art of poi: what are they?there are many experienced poi players in this forum, many know the characteristics of most of the types of..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,558    Replies: 7
"Hey there everyone, I've been absent from the board for a few days due to the Flu and being wiped out from the sickness plus the medications given to me for my sickness. I'm on a week l..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,048    Replies: 8
"I have only been spinning for about 8 months, I don't think I'm amazing, or really good, but it's been a pretty intence 8 months, learned most of Adventures in Poi, Encyclopoidia and Sc..."
Last Reply by
Views: 15,503    Replies: 43
"I am just starting and I dont know what to order?? Any help would be great!! Thanks"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,850    Replies: 1
"i am expecting this DVD in the mail tomorrow. I am having trouble getting beginner moves down. Just wanted to know if anyone else has came across this DVD and was it helpful?! How many ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,740    Replies: 3
"im having real problems with my isolations, my poi just speed up when i try any advise?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,374    Replies: 3
"So past couple days ive been learning stuff and cleaning up the things i'm already capable of doing.As of the past 2 -3 days what bugs me is how do you know your stall is clean.easy one..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,034    Replies: 2
"Hello HOP this is my first post!Ive been *trying* to do wraps but I cant seem to keep my walls perpendicular to me, especially when I'm holding them farther from my body. I figured sinc..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,415    Replies: 3
"ok guys so im not too new to this.. i glowstring and i just want to learn some poi... so throw some moves at me and il learn them.. thanks"
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter