Forums > Beginner Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,048    Replies: 7
"I'm relatively new to spinning, and I just started learning the alternate butterfly. I have no problem bringing the hand that is on top in the regular butterfly behind my back, but whe..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,698    Replies: 21
"I'm spinning fire at this year's Burning Man as part of the Conclave. I recently read up on the routine, VERY simple stuff, hardest thing being a Mexican Wave really. The more I read,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,279    Replies: 6
"Already posted it on Spherculism, imo a very nice concept when done CLEAN. Nothing more than a weave-hyperloop tangling at the handles. The difficulty is not only to keep the Poi in con..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,598    Replies: 22
"This might sound odd, but has anyone ever lost the ability to do a move they used to be pretty competent at? I only ask cos I think I just have :SAfter reading the thread on hyperloops ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,905    Replies: 40
"Sup Fellas?Alright, I've been spinning for quite some time now, and I just read the post about slow versus fast, and some of u mention going with the beat of the music.Now I do this as ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,360    Replies: 18
"I was just wondering when you've learnt a move, do you insure that your mastered that move in both directions and sides of your body before moving on? Or do you move on to the next move..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,081    Replies: 6
"With the upcoming of throwing and one-handed moves a category that hasnt been mentioned so far is becoming more important: How to hold the Poi.You can change the grip while passing the ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,317    Replies: 4
"wov, I saw some Wu-Shu exhibition on video with single chain.......nice, cool......I have been inspirated......is anybody here who is trying this style with fire?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,993    Replies: 5
"is it now impossible to edit threads past a certain time span? i'd like to change the title and maybe a sentence or two in the buzzsaw weaves thread but it won't let me anymore. "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,993    Replies: 13
"I have been trying to get this move for weeks and have just been whacking myself in the head (thats what seems to happen when you mess up this move). I figured out what I was doing wro..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,659    Replies: 82
"I was just reminising about my first EJC two years ago... and I remember the coolest kid there was Glass doing a very bad buzzsaw isolation. Sometimes he 'kinda got it' and sometimes h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,754    Replies: 60
"I'm going to describe the isolated version as it's probably a bit easier to learn. Doing it unisolated is a bit trickier timing-wise.I found it easier to learn in reverse by a fair way,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,084    Replies: 35
"yes folks, its a whole lotta fun.its not backwards weave, its 'reverse', against the grain.it goes a little something like this.poi spin forwards wheel plane, right poi crosses to under..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,937    Replies: 48
"theres been alot of talk of inventing moves on this froum recently. but can you really invent poi moves or are they there from the start waiting to be discovered?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,095    Replies: 15
" Reverse!!!!!!!!I have Just Learnt the Five Beat weave. Its awesome, but i went to lessons and see the Reverse five beet weave. IT looks like a butter fly move being swung aro..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,607    Replies: 21
"Im kind of new to poi, but basically im looking for a list of thigs/moves. i have looked through the lessons and talks to a few people but was wondering if u lot can help me out.oka wh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,166    Replies: 9
"all right. at the risk of being flamed and beaten and blown up and hung and having paper planes thrown at me, here is, what i think and hope will be the easiest description of a 4 beat,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,025    Replies: 12
"Okay, I've just posted a vid on under the photos/vids section here on HoP. This is the link for it.Now, I don't know why, maybe because I figured this out 2-ish in the morning.. this ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,748    Replies: 15
"Was messing about with my poi the other day, and came across a startling discovery. Now you can stop me right here if this a already an established move, but what I did was swing my ri..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,991    Replies: 5
"Right so far I've refrained from asking anything here, thinking that most things can just be worked out logically so why bother, but this is bugging me so here I am. For the record I'm ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,344    Replies: 11
"A possible new trick (?) unless it already has a name and i just dont know about it yet. Anyways, this is the easiest way to explain it:1. left hand swings the poi in a backward rotati..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,168    Replies: 26
"I've looked over most things on the site and forums about the 4 beat weave. Now, I understand what I'm supposed to do, but I'm constantly running into the problem of when my hands are ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,976    Replies: 15
"i no this is really big headed but someone please congratulate me on finally conquering the weave!! as im the only person i know that spins all my friends looked at me like a basket mak..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,700    Replies: 17
"Finally it is there (but probably not the intention of the programmer..) : Computer PoiWhat we would need now is a second mouse, a decent background and a 3D patch!Thx to snoop from www..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,022    Replies: 38
"Addressing the experienced spinners:People sometimes think that they know Poi or can do every move . . . so a question that crosses my mind from time to time: How far are we at the mom..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,503    Replies: 3
"So this is about buzz saw hyperloops, yes i'm sorry. but there are so many damn posts about them that I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Right so I can do them but I have a l..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,168    Replies: 8
"just wanted to say yo!i just started to POI and i would love tips for starting out.. BTW- the lessons on this site is really great!"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,593    Replies: 1
"Ive been playing around with wraps and I found that if you start with the forward swing butterfly then wrap your right poi around your left forearm then pull it back behind your back an..."
Views: 3,682    Replies: 17
"I am a little bit obsessed with proper plane control and have a really nice mindf*** for the more advanced spinners among you.Do a reel (which I formerly called parallel weave but any..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,648    Replies: 14
"Okay basically since i saw some jugglers 2 weeks ago and i was poi i ng with them i started introducing throws and well juggling type moves i spose. I found i can do a 7 beat weave if i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,918    Replies: 1
"I've seen this move in pics but never saw it in a vid or saw a description.if someone can upload a vid and write a description I'll be thankful "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,004    Replies: 3
"Hey , ive just started doing poi after doing some raving for a while. I was wonderin what the best learning site was. Also what ages are u guys...just for a general idea of what age of ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,078    Replies: 14
"Is anyone doing split time butterfly hyperloops?Would it involve tangling at 3 and 9 oclock? How does that work then? "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,152    Replies: 6
"Been practicing this move recently and it looks quite good when it works, though the poi have an annoying tendancy to hit each other behind my head. So far my best with this was three ..."
Views: 1,713    Replies: 0
"This just happened by accident when my boyfriend was teaching me a high turn, maybe the first time I picked these things up. From a backward swing, do a crossover, high, by your face...."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,534    Replies: 23
"Easier than I would have thought.If you can do a 5 beat, just keep it in-time. You probably already know a 4 beat in time (When you do two circles on each side with each hand at the sa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,039    Replies: 24
"what do they call this? i was practicing turning from a foward weave to reverse last night and just kept turning. it feels like so much fun that it's got to look impressive ;&rbr; "
Views: 1,425    Replies: 0
"Nothing to exciting here but I figured I would post it, this isn't like the other isolated pendulums thread, this is isolated in the sense like with contact juggling or most other prop ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,065    Replies: 11
"I figured out a move where you wrap two poi at the same time going opposit directions.it looks like you stick your head in the way while you do "cages" and the poi wrap around the fron..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,383    Replies: 5
"Hey All: So, here's more of an exercise... More Zen/Tai Chi, than Mad Max Flame Throwing... We're gonna talk about phasing the count: A standard butterfly at regular time has the poi pa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,516    Replies: 1
"What stretches can I do to improve my back and shoulder flexibility so I can do behind the back moves easier? Ive been doing a few obvious ones, but I have found with stretches there i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,411    Replies: 6
"I am really new to poi, (I'm a staffer) but have recently decided to pick up this habit to help feed my firepoi addiction. I figured out the butterfly and the weave pretty quick, and I ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,684    Replies: 31
"What???? How????? "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,479    Replies: 16
"Normal Thru Wrap: e.g. A wrist-wrapped 7 Beat. Left hand Poi wraps around the Right wrist and the RH Poi is changing sides first"Passive" Thru Wrap: Wrap the RH Poi arund the left wrist..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,168    Replies: 5
"i know this sounds and makes me look utterly dumb but i don't understand any of the explainations of the 3,4,5 beat weave?????? (and yes i have done a search b4 UCOF kindly reminds m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,077    Replies: 5
"I'm still playing with my sucky timing and I stumbled upon something that I never realized. There are different manners of creating a split time effect on any move. I'm using a butter..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,789    Replies: 9
"recently while spinning some serious poi, i actually took off from the ground and flew for 3 1/2 metres for about 11.5 seconds, covering a distance of roughly 72.8 cm.i would be really ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,480    Replies: 24
"oooow! help! i can do a bit of it on one side, but just cant seem to get it on the other. im thinking im not co-ordinated behind my back..hm. any1 any tips? i dont think the back of my ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,078    Replies: 42
"Because I like wraps I want to try to explain how to do any wrap.All you have to do to pull off any wrap of any kind is put the part of your body or random object in the flight of the c..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,618    Replies: 2
"I'm fairly new to the world of poi. I've been spinning for about a year now, and although that's not long, I consider myself a pretty fast learner, and I'm mostly self-taught. I came ..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter