Forums > Social Chat

Login/Join to Participate
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,072    Replies: 3
"So I made my five year old a practise staff from a yard long (little over a metre) dowel rod and duct tape an the ends and as the center grip. Prom and I twirl with practise staves like..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,249    Replies: 2
"Hi guys. Can anyone put me in contact with someone who teaches poi in Sydney? Or groups that get together regularly?I've been doing fire poi for about 6 months, mostly on my own. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,992    Replies: 1
"Hey calling all Kiwi's, I'm interested in knowing what all you NZers think of your winter season... wheres the warmer spots, is rain a real bummer.. etc... I've just recieved my NZ citi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,073    Replies: 7
"Does any-one else have a pet dog who, every time you poi, thinks that you're being attacked by the dreaded 'swirly things', and rushes to your aid, in fear for your life? Has any-one el..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,613    Replies: 3
"hey glow loving people.Krill lamps are like electronic glowsticks, re-useable, and battery powered!!! All the things that glowsticks aren't, and you don't have to throw them away after ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,008    Replies: 1
"Any of you poi twirlers out there. Help i need help getting started. See in the us there is not alot of poi. So i was thinkning maybe i could get started a national craze so I need help..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,600    Replies: 17
"Hi everyone.... you all seem to be poi pros, so I'm a little nervous about posting on here.... I guess my main concern is whether or not anyone else had trouble coordinating their left ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,412    Replies: 2
"Any of you poi twirlers out there. Help i need help getting started. See in the us there is not alot of poi. So i was thinkning maybe i could get started a national craze so I need help..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,073    Replies: 8
"i'm trying to make a fire staff that i can take travelling with me. this means that i need something that i can fix the wicks on that will slide over a stick i find in the nearest hardw..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,002    Replies: 7
"does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,910    Replies: 5
"I've been doing poi for a year now and would like to give staff twirling a go. To start with i'll totally be going by the lessons on this site - any tips?I guess the answer to these que..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,963    Replies: 5
"Are there any poipeople from Boston or Cambridge MA in this group? I have recently started to spin fire and am wondering where i could do it without being bothered by the police. Cops i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 772    Replies: 1
"hey, I've only had my feeble little deads for a few days, and I'm allready loving them."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,503    Replies: 6
"If u want to add a bit more pizzazinto your fire routine just wrap a couple of those sparklers u can buy a party stores of super markets in the party sectionaround the wick. wire those ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,628    Replies: 3
"Hey. I know it sounds stupid But when I'm carrying my poi around in my bag they ALLWAYS get really tangled up, and it takes me like 15 mins to untangle them! ! If anyone knows ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,010    Replies: 5
"Maybe this isn't the right place to ask!!I've sensed a little poi vs clubs competition on this site in the past(all playful i hope).So has anyone got any tips for a beginner?I know it q..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,022    Replies: 4
"hey someone out there said that you could get kevlar wicking at micheals tried to get some and they didnt stock it said if i wanted to order id have to get the product number if whoever..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,911    Replies: 6
"If you were teaching some-one (who never has) to poi, where would you start?Tim /|\"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,895    Replies: 8
"I got poi for x-mas and I'm not toooooo bad, I'm very eager to get onto fire, as I've seen my brother do it and it kicks!! But, I no that you have to be good to do it, so, when can I s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,177    Replies: 2
"Hi everyone!I've been spinning Poi for 4 months now and this is my first post to this list.I own a pair of Zuni poi and tried to spin glow sticks with them in a club. If anybody has eve..."
Views: 2,192    Replies: 0
"I don't really know who to post this to, but maybe a "workshop" category to go along with the "meet others" category might be helpful. This means instead of trawling through all the nam..."
Views: 4,345    Replies: 0
"Ok was up people. If anyone lives in the south west then you can get small (ie not tank loads) amounts of the solvent SHELLSOL T (recommended by many many people for breathing including..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,753    Replies: 10
"So, I'm wondering. How many folx out there have a fire safety regime? Do you have any practices you'd like to share? Thanks,Diana"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,431    Replies: 16
"i guess this is a question primarily to Malcolm but i am really curious to see what length of chain other people use; basically i have been checking Malcolm's shop out and quite fancie..."
Views: 2,785    Replies: 0
"hey, anybody out there who has or is performing in japan i'd love any tips you've got for getting work etc. travelling there in a few months wanting to teach and perform....... i'm pret..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,556    Replies: 7
"I love dancing and I love Poi - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many places to combine both. I know that the Drome in London is pretty Poi friendly. What about compiling a list o..."
Views: 1,037    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Views: 2,086    Replies: 0
" Another cool idea I have found, not sure if it is new or not is to use the outdoor hockey balls that glow. These balls that you can use for an alternative for a tennis ball which is al..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,529    Replies: 1
"so i was saying in that four poi yikes discussion that i occasionaly tie two staff together and spin like a cross although this is a little intimidating at first the effect is awsome al..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,914    Replies: 2
"COME ON GUYS, someone must know where you can buy the solvent SHELLSOL T in the UK.peace out garbo "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,132    Replies: 4
"I was doin' some research the other day and came across a really cool web site on poi (will post the address later)...it said mid text that women of the maori tribe were sometimes taugh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,897    Replies: 20
"It's been more than twice now that I've been asked:' "What do you think about when you spin fire?" And I'm really stuck for an eloquent way of explaining just what goes on in my mind wh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,443    Replies: 3
"Anyone know anything about the history of staff, or where to find info??Thanks, and hope y'all had a wicked chrissymas!! "
Views: 2,977    Replies: 0
"A friend of mine, who quite enjoys watching fire-throwing as he calls it, and has been a barman for a while, is pretty good at 'flaring'. this is what you've seen in movies such as 'co..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,661    Replies: 7
"so everyone says, when you get a new poi, be sure and light it, then put it out right away four or five times in a row, to prepare the wick well...first off, what the heck does it mean ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,684    Replies: 3
"please help me i am in desperation to find out how to make one of these fire chains if anyone nows how let me now PLEASE ------------------**~~<M!DEON>~~**"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,955    Replies: 1
"i know there's heaps about coloured flames but i just want to know specifics and stuff - like is meths just methylated spirits and how much boric acid do u use??????thanx for helpin----..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,483    Replies: 1
"hey peoples I'm planning on doing a bit of a solo roadtrip soonish.....my only definite destination is Auckland, for Cirque du Soliel on the 24th, but some time before then I'm going ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,438    Replies: 2
"Hey, Pele- How long have you been doing the Ren Fair circuit? Is there a big market for fire at Ren Fairs? (I should check and see if either Penn or Pitt Renn Faires have fire performer..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,131    Replies: 4
"Hey UK people-Did anyone catch a television program on New Year's Day about 'the history of pyrotechnics' or something like that? It was supposed to be on Channel 4.Part of it was film..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,935    Replies: 1
"Malcolm, i saw somewhere on this site that this was initially going to be a juggling site. it then went in to say that you changed your mind because you thaught that there were already ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,720    Replies: 1
"Just thought I'd share my little bit of info. I took some pics of my fire group performing and I used black and white film. Everyone was a little wary of how the black and white would ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,120    Replies: 12
"When I first got my poi, I didn't know about having to light them and put them out a few times first so I never did that. My poi have Kevlar wick on them which is good quality. Every t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,742    Replies: 2
"does enybody has any idea on how to make or where to buy poi that glows in the dark.... not under uv light"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,061    Replies: 8
"OK, I read somewhere in this vast forum, a reference to electroluminescent glow stix (however, i find it kinda hard to refind posts in this place). Does anyone know of a distributor in ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,174    Replies: 7
"Hello helpful listeners,I have recently made a fire chain (a twirling friend calls it a snake) which is made of light ally & powder coated and has fairly large links. I put some giant ..."
Views: 2,316    Replies: 2
"i was just wondering do the flourescent poi that is sold on this page glow in the dark or do they glow only under uv light"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,314    Replies: 1
"I've just had a go at clubs today and found it ok except one thing...I can't seem to easily swing the club more than once on each side (eg for doing the weave).Is there somthing I can d..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,707    Replies: 8
"So by now you must all know I LOVE those smilies....so check this out Isn't it just the coolest...er...hottest?Okay...I'm done now!------------------PeleHigher, higher burning fire...."
Views: 2,555    Replies: 0
"Ok... someone commented a while ago about "if only yo-yos lit up."Someone just made this video, which has a scene with like 20 different people using two light-up yo-yos at the same tim..."

HOP Newsletter