Forums > Social Chat

Login/Join to Participate
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 1,399    Replies: 1
"Do any of y'all have a document outlining what you need from a producer/venue for a performance? If so, what does it cover? Diana "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,991    Replies: 10
"...it looks as if though i might consider starting to use a few behind the back moves in my routine - i guess they are not so bad after all, just annoying to learn!!! well i've tried f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,017    Replies: 7
"Prom and I both palm spin our staves, but the other day we noticed we do it differently.I enter it from a finger twirl and can get the staff to travel around the palm of my hand, from t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,556    Replies: 14
"I mostly swing alone 'cos the nearest people to swing with ain't so near at all. Now mostly it's just fine by me.....I n-joy doing it alone....u get to spend a lot of time on a move wit..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,900    Replies: 5
"Hello everyone! Just ordered my fresh pair of poi the other night and I cant wait to get them! Ive been spining for a month now and I tell you no lie (ITS LIKE THERAPY!)Does anyone else..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,892    Replies: 1
"Hello funksters,Come play with us tonight! Informal gathering, Camperdown Park Newtown @ 7.30pm.All welcome: new, old, spectators. Questions? email me.We'll be the ones playing with f..."
Views: 1,870    Replies: 0
"Hi Flavio, Yes I would love details of how the Fire Hoop is done, especially the wicking, and what stops you getting burned?The picture I saw, the girl was wearing nothing over her wais..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,469    Replies: 1
"Last night i was watching 'You've been framed' (yeh, i know, i was very bored, had essays to do, but at least it has now proved useful for something) which is a show where people who ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,382    Replies: 6
"Um, A friend of mine reccomended me this site to work on my glowstringing technique... There's alot of rad stuff here about flire twirling, but I don't see that much about glowstringing..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,137    Replies: 4
"call be ignorant, but what exactly are clubs, and in what way are they spun. this is the only web site i have heard them mentioned, but i have yet to see any pictures, videos ect of th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,121    Replies: 4
"i changed my wick today, and realied its a bugger to get the screws over the holes directly, and realised its a think that will come with practice, and realised to ask the experts. tha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,070    Replies: 6
"As advised by the good man, Shawn Fumo (_very_ nice guy by the way), I've decided to take up poi (also contact juggling, but that's a whole other board). ^_~ though I've never seen anyo..."
Views: 2,902    Replies: 0
"The workshop at the drome is switching back to Tueday this week. Just a little warning that there is a play going on in one of the arches and for the next three weeks they are going to ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,703    Replies: 4
"For eveyone elseWe have a website!! Wahoo!!! It is not completely finished, pictures and the rest should be up in a couple of weeks, but check it out and send me your feedback. The url ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,440    Replies: 26
"Hmmm....so I recently did an interview for a performance job. When I do this I walk in wearing my business type clothes (especially for this gig...it's corporate). I have our portfolio ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,888    Replies: 3
"Hey Guys.This is going to sound a bit daft, but with the windmill are the pois comming in front of the body at any time?"
Last Reply by
Views: 7,410    Replies: 25
"I've been thinking that taking a martial art to complement spinning would be a good thing as far as learning body movement, balance, and technique goes. My question to people out there ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,193    Replies: 14
"Someone mentioned a while back about the size of my poi. (insert your own joke here) I can't find the thread now, but I wanted to get back on that. I've got two sets of poi. One a bit o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,901    Replies: 4
"Hey one and all. Right well right now i've managed to get the butterfly moves, the weave, reverse weave and turns down , and am just practicing getting them flowing nicly and not hittin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,418    Replies: 35
"I'd like to pose the question, what matters to you? What are your values? Where do you find meaning? Relationships matter to me. Connection matters to me. I so honor the amazingly close..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,532    Replies: 4
"oops&lbr;This message has been edited by Alexlexex (edited 01 February 2001).&rbr;"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,309    Replies: 6
"Yo Yo waz up people, hope yall ok. Anyway going off the subject that is all dear to our hearts (hope I don't offend anyone here ha ha ) was wondering if anyone has any advise on how o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,333    Replies: 20
"How often do you change your wick when it's kevlar?I use kevlar poi and I have burned them quite a few times, when do you know it's time to quit? Does kevlar burn forever?I have it on m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,836    Replies: 25
"well the doc says i have tendonitis in one shoulder and the other was parshly dislocated.he says i am out of twirling for 3 weeks. and since i have been twirling for about a month, wil..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,366    Replies: 11
"I've been twirling for almost a month, and have decided that I eventually want to progess on to fire, but my parents aren't quite as enthusiastic. I don't want to use fire right now, b..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,184    Replies: 4
"Hey Guys.I've just started poi recently and i've got down sm basic moves down. But i can't get the cross over behind the back right. Is there any advise out there.Cheers.stumpy"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,615    Replies: 6
"We are a traveling group of performers that have a revolving door membership. We play shows in citys all over and not all of the fire performers can make it due to work etc.. so this le..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,371    Replies: 6
"Hey everybody!I've noticed a lot of discussion of Good and Bad technique, but mostly it seems to be based on the individual techniques...Does just being able to pull of a reverse seven ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,429    Replies: 3
"Just thought I'd let all you Sydney people know about the meetup we've organised.About 5 of us have managed to organise a meetup in Newtown on Monday night. Quite amazing seeing as non..."
Views: 2,567    Replies: 8
"I'd like to address some concerns I have with some practices in poi construction. First, I can't remember whether it was here of another board, but there's a great deal of concern on th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,655    Replies: 10
"the screws came loose on my fire staff, and the wick can now slide, but it cant come off, any sugestions on how to fix it, or should i just dump it and buy a new one, cause the last thi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,925    Replies: 16
"Hi, I'm just a rookie at learning Poi but am learning fast. Can't wait to do Fire. Any hints from the pros what 'not' to do when learning and of course what 'to' do. Thanks..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,088    Replies: 18
"OK, It finally warmed up enough to swing, but I've been out of practice for a few months, and I'm finding that it is definetly NOT like riding a bicycle, perhaps more like a unicycle. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,966    Replies: 33
"to whoever it was that said their dreads were their 'friends' ??!?!?!!? okay...(1) its ONLY *HAIR*. Dead cells.... "oh dead cells won't you please be my friend".(2) you need to serio..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,261    Replies: 3
"I've mentioned elsewhere that I make firedancing equipment commercially, so I've got a special interest in finding out what works. I have built a simple test rig that allows me to compa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,740    Replies: 22
"O.K. I know that this has NOTHING to do with poi, but i'm in desperate need of help. I've recently got dreads put inmy hair, and I was wondering a few things;1-how and can you wash your..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,509    Replies: 2
"O.K, sorry, but this is another non-poi subject. I'm sorry but I HAD to know, does ANYONE on this site like old school music? Ice-T, Rappers delight, ANYTHING. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!sighni..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,103    Replies: 7
"How do you put skills together? What is the "long line" of your show like? Do you use characters, themes, stories? When you're not doing freestyle, how do you create a performance? Than..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,706    Replies: 11
"Hey guys, I have been playing my fire toys with Kerosine forever, but lately I have been fire dancing next to the pool at an outside club for some work, and a few older people have been..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,322    Replies: 8
"Happy New Year EveryoneI was watching a program on here in Japan on New Years day. A guy was twirling a small fire staff between two sticks - anyone know what this is called? Then anoth..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,494    Replies: 11
"I'm just curious. How long does it take most people to learn Poi? How long before you could do 5 beat weave? How long before you could do behind the back stuff? How long before you ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,033    Replies: 2
"Very cool strobe poi for those of you with money...check out this link:http://www.cyberthings.com/java/ffly.htmit's a shame about the price otherwise I would but two of them, wrap the w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,587    Replies: 2
"Does anyone out there know of any good martial arts movies one could learn a thing or two for poi from? Or just any old video out there that would give some of us some new insentive to ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,027    Replies: 27
"howdy folksive been a fire bug for some time now and have bee having fun staff poi and clubs for some time ive also been into fire breathing but have always been curios about eating fir..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,475    Replies: 6
"how do i make poi that do thishttps://www.homeofpoi.com/images/jason1a.jpg"
Views: 2,112    Replies: 2
"Just watched top of the pops and almost fell off my chair when i saw poi performers during some dance tune called Komodo. It's the first time i've seen poi on tv.Three performers swapp..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,146    Replies: 19
"Why, why, why is everyone so damn obsessed with fire poi??Am I the only person who is sick to death of showy, smelly, messy, more-trouble-than-it's-worth fire?If I see one more person s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,708    Replies: 4
"hello, currently i am only a back yard fire twirler who needs to get out, i am just wondering if anyone knows when the next moon fest event is on, i am looken on the net and all i can s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,225    Replies: 2
"I was just wondering if there any other older (ie 40yrs+) poi or staff twirlers out there.Live long and prosper "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,763    Replies: 8
"Diana and the Cabiri,you mentioned 'snakes' when talking about clubs, and I've looked for websites. Lots mention them but none actually explain them at all. And if, as you said, Diana..."

HOP Newsletter