Forums > Social Chat

Login/Join to Participate
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 6,468    Replies: 11
"I'm having a bit of trouble doing the 5 beat weave. I can do a 4 beat weave fine, butI don't know where to put in the extra beat. Its really got me stumped. Can anyone offer any help at..."
Views: 639    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,299    Replies: 1
"Hi bobrob I'm gonna be in Manchester in about a months time. Is there any clubs there that are poi friendly? Also do you want to meet up and swing some poi together?One love, Thistlefir..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,783    Replies: 2
"Ok just recieved my ultimate performance poi's (which are perfect) but i find it really difficult to swing with the tails!So i keep them wrapped up into a ball and everythings fine but ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,467    Replies: 6
"Hey all, I love spinning fire and it's undoubtfully amazing but the great disadvantage of it is that you can't spin as fast as glowsticks or tennis balls and if you have nice combos tha..."
Views: 1,591    Replies: 1
"Hey,I am doing a short film on what goes on in Nelson and I am doing poi. does anyone know an influential person based in Nelson who has "pushed" Poi?ThanxTeresa - Nelson, New Zealand"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,910    Replies: 8
"i was wondering if anyone had anyideas on how tomake home made fire juggling balls. ive seen them on the net and wondering if anyone has ideas on how i could create them. ive done thr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,363    Replies: 8
"hey hi all poiers out there! I am new to the art/sport - about 4 days - and trying to not get the poi in my face :-) 1) Are there any english speaking poiers here in Paris? 2) I read ab..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,814    Replies: 2
"I was talking wiht some Renaissance Faire friends who don't necessarily swing fire but they are eaters/breathers and we got into a discussion on wicking, what is best overall, what is g..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,033    Replies: 2
"Hi all,I just started swinging last week and I have all the butterfly moves down but I'm having serious amounts of trouble with the weave. Does anyone have any advice on learning this ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,147    Replies: 3
"anybody else get overwhelmed/inspired watching some of the videos on this site? like the one-handed poi, and all the behind the back moves? sheesh! Dangerboy- HARDCORE. you are the ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,130    Replies: 8
"I have been grappling with this for over a week now, whether to bring it up or not and finally, you guys won out over pride. I really need your help on something of a more personal natu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,380    Replies: 9
"Hi guys I have kept up on this site for quite some time now but never posted before so let me start by saying hi I know the majority of the moves listed on this site but there is one ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,565    Replies: 2
"okay, i use a lot of this trick in my stuff, and i thought everyone did, but it doesn't seem to be in the poi lessons thing. (Malcolm? should it be?)i'll try to describe it, does an..."
Views: 2,950    Replies: 0
"I've just been practicing the 4/5 beat weave, and I seem to be able to do the fifth beat, but not the fourth. Sometimes, I can do the fourth beat, but not very well, and I still dont un..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,466    Replies: 5
"I'm based in London and would like to learn the art of POI!Where do I start?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,023    Replies: 6
"ok, so i have the four-beat weave, and i can do it on the left, and on the right. but i can't seem to put the two together for a five beat. grrr. more work to do...oh yeah, and does ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,845    Replies: 4
"Does anyone have a good transition for getting **quickly and smoothly** from a forward spin into an inward/front butterfly?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,684    Replies: 3
"Last year at glastonbury (england) i saw this bloke swinging what looked like a lanton, when he span it fast it shot out huge fire/sparks, it was like a human catherine wheel! could som..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,829    Replies: 8
"On sat night we had our first gig & what a buzz it was. It was Edentity's 2nd birthday & the crowd was rocking. I did my first public body burning & fire eating act and the crowd went w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,387    Replies: 11
"I've only started spinning recently, but I've been practicing for a fair bit and I don't seem to have the coordination to do it. Anyone else have similar problems?"
Views: 1,307    Replies: 1
"i just saw that new mad staff on the front of this webpage. i am under 18, so i have no credit card, so i cant buy online. if someone finds this new 3 piece staff in a store in the br..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,086    Replies: 5
"Bonjourno princepessas and princepoos...Gathering tonight...7.30pm @ Camperdown Mem. park on Church Street, Newtown.If weather misbehaves, we'll be at the Oxford pub in Newtown.Au revoi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,341    Replies: 10
"Does anyone know if there is a place in Brisbane that sells poi? All i have at the moment is some tennis balls on the end of shoe laces and it gave me a blister on my finger . Any help..."
Views: 2,707    Replies: 0
"Hey! So, I'm part of a firedancing group that is trying to get into a local Carnaval parade. I'm putting together the promo page as we speak, but I'm wondering...does anyone have any hi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,106    Replies: 4
"This might seem a bit childish and corny to those of you who are experienced poi users &lbr;most of you&rbr;, but considering this is my first day lemme have my rant. I couldn't wait fo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,336    Replies: 1
"So lots of folks have been talking about music but being very vague. Over the last few months, I've been making a series of CDs to spin to (I'm working on Vol.5 right now). All songs ar..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,398    Replies: 12
"hey everyone...be nice...this is my first time posting and using the glowsticks and what not....im not too familiar with the lingo so fill me in....what is this Poi....im must sound ret..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,850    Replies: 1
"hey dangerboy!what's the music/song/band during your flag video? i totally dig it!-flavio"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,197    Replies: 16
"hey everybody,we're currently making a flash website to go along with our static site, and was wondering just how many people prefer de flash or hate de flash or have computers that can..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,127    Replies: 9
"I've just read something that Maeon wrote and it reminded me of something i wanted to ask everyone for ages, especially since i am quite ignorant about the fire scene around the world; ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,155    Replies: 4
"I've recently discovered a slightly different style of firedancing/glowstick twirling. I saw this couple playing with glow sticks on string but were using one string with the sticks on ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,776    Replies: 1
"And so much of that goes on at a Flashpoint. Last Sunday, St Kilda Beach, just after the festival.... There was a small rave at the seabaths just up the beach abit, and we definately ga..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,790    Replies: 9
"Ok, so one of my friends who's only beginning to learn about firedancing and poi and whatnot recently did a report on firedancing and fashion, specifically drawing her sources from the ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,835    Replies: 11
"Hey, i was bored this afternoon and my hands were numb from practicing outside &lbr;it's freezing cold outside&rbr;, so i decided to make a fire poi buddy icon since i haven't seen any ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,345    Replies: 5
"i started swinging about a month ago now and i have all the moves under the lessons section of this site except for the behind the back stuff and between the leg stuff. (the hardest on..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,859    Replies: 4
"Hey everyone! I'm new here and to the Poi scene. I got my first taste from a friend from NY who's fairly good &lbr;amazed the heck out of me and mai friends&rbr;. Thought it'd be fun to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,072    Replies: 2
"Hey, can NE1 offer NE help on the butterfly? I've been able to keep it going for 15-20 seconds, and i feel like i've got it, but for some unexplained reason, they always seem to collide..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,975    Replies: 2
"Okay, i've got the b.t.b. weave down, but i can only go backwards if i go forwards first, then turn 180, i cant actually start off going backwards, any ideas???Also, some of you tal..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,456    Replies: 4
"I just reminded my self in a previous post, that I saw my first swinger at the Pennsic War. First off, has anyone ever heard of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and secondly, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,888    Replies: 10
"Hi guys!My girlfriend and I will be staying in Sydney for the weekend from the friday arvo / night (April 20) to the Sunday morning (April 22).We are both reasonably proficient at spinn..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,740    Replies: 8
"I'm sorry, i've *got* to tell you guys about this....so i haven't been spinning much for the last couple of weeks...got frustrated after learning all the basic moves, couldn't figure ou..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,241    Replies: 16
"Hey, well as i've said i've just started with poi's and was wondering if anyones got some advice about getting started, i've been practicing a number of simple moves, where should I go ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,281    Replies: 5
"Well I went to the Camperdown Park {actually Newton Park,} last night and had a fantastic time, it was great to spend time with people who inspire you.We were blessed with a beautifull ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,976    Replies: 12
"When you use Fire what do you find so amazing about it, Is there anything you prefer more with out fire? Just practice ends or streamers or Kite, Or maybe even glowsticks that you find ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,448    Replies: 16
"This year I am happy to report our performance book is filled for Renaissance Faires. This is great. we are returning to several shows we have been at for awhile and are behelden to a c..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,038    Replies: 2
"That www.breakdance.com=pops=liquids site doesn't work... does anybody know where I can learn liquid/glowstick dancing???"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,388    Replies: 3
"OK folks it is time for that time of year agin....Flashpoint 8 will be happening after the St Kilda festival on sunday 11th of Feb. Be prepared for the usual twirling activity of a Flas..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,862    Replies: 5
"I'm sure some people here have experienced Poi in altered states of consciousness. Did that generate any good spinning sessions? Any bad experiences (especially with fire)?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,657    Replies: 3
"A friend of mine recently had a brilliant idea about colored poi flames. Does anyone out there alter their fuel to produce different colored flames, or have any information on this? If ..."

HOP Newsletter