Forums > Social Chat

Login/Join to Participate
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 1,641    Replies: 2
"i'm not sure if this idea has been done before, but i was just making my first staff last night and i'm not too big on the whole fire idea. so i came up with a different plan. i'm going..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,197    Replies: 2
"The way I see it, everyone has their own individual style. I can watch differant people do the same moves but on each person the come accross totally differant. I have noticed particula..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,608    Replies: 12
"Sigh, This really upset me.I figure maybe this has happened to some of you, so maybe you can relate, I kinda need to vent. I go to a small liberal arts school in rochester NY. I was ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,143    Replies: 3
"Ok Here's one. Was thinking about performances and was wondering if anyone put anything else into a performance to add dramatic effect. Was thinking about stuff you see on tv etc where ..."
Views: 788    Replies: 0
"hey, i was just curious if anyone had any pics they felt like sharing. ive already seen a few of you from your websited and from videos youve submitted to the video section. anyway, if..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,789    Replies: 13
"Hi Lads and LassiesThis topic has probably been discussed before but since there are quite a few of us registered now I would like to ask - How did it all begin? How did you find out ab..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,676    Replies: 29
"hey hey all.I got to thinking the other day and realised a common factor in all the longest threads. (appart from pele starting most of them :P )They are all about topics that you ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,891    Replies: 3
"I have one poi going forward and one going backwards, I want them to both go forward. How do I transition without stopping?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,645    Replies: 19
"hey y'all planning on coming to eastcoast firetwirlinfest at ykaterina's place...we have a webpage now! its sort of done and can be found at http://people.atg.com/~willb/poifestso for t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,802    Replies: 5
"Ben from Pyrocussion here.Saw a guy in Silvers Circus do the two in one hand (opposite directions) trick and then held them in his teeth!!!! Very niceCan anyone do this???Also does any..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,353    Replies: 5
"I will be in San Francisco May 18-25. I was hoping to get together with some of y'all while I'm out there. Please let me know when/if this would be possible, if there will be any fire e..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,870    Replies: 3
"I was wondering...When I first started twirling, one of the things that really seemed to help me was the idea of 'following the poi' rathr than forcing them along some path of my choice..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,800    Replies: 1
"hey i am not the proud owner of a hole in my head last night after playing with my poi i got my staff out.... having lodsa fun then whilst spinning beking my back decided to throw it o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,568    Replies: 3
"i was on the peninsula over easter and used the rosebud library to axcess the net and this site. i noticed that someone had been on this site the same day i had been. you know who you a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,669    Replies: 4
"Hi guys, had an awesome day yesterday and thought I'd share it with you. Went mountain climbing (Mt Warning - QLD) in a rainforest and took my staff along. It was so amazingly beauti..."
Views: 4,112    Replies: 4
"Anyone know what materials and methods traditional Maori poi were made with?As far as I know, flax rope, peat moss weight, but what was that wrapped with?-ryan"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,333    Replies: 4
"Hey all,I'm having a problem doing continuous wrist rolls (ie you release the staff and let it roll over your wrist - then you catch it again..)I can get it to do one, but does anyone h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,679    Replies: 19
"Today was the nicest day we have had in a looooooong time so we went out to practice.We had a small audience and my friend videotaped us. We practiced single moves and small routines an..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,638    Replies: 11
"i am currently loosig intrest in the staff and to get intrest up i was thinking of attaching the fire poi on the then ende and taking the staff wick off cos that would open up so much m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,230    Replies: 5
"Okay i have the forward weave down pat, and most of the other moves up until i get to reverse weave..i just can't do it..maybe if there was a video with only one poi going around the ot..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,348    Replies: 1
"Wow today was a great day. i started by learning corkscrews, and then got windmills and chasing the sun too. i have been working on this combination that i think will look great once i ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,969    Replies: 2
"hey guys yep it's me the one who just can't seem to figure out the really simple moves.. I have a long staff, maybe that's the problem it's too long, but I don't think so. Anyway, how..."
Views: 2,601    Replies: 0
"Ok, so today I was kind of bored and decided to do a big search of the internet. I remembered seeing some instructional videos for batons and other stuff a while back and wanted to see ..."
Views: 1,021    Replies: 0
"Does anyone recognize the title of the song that is playing in the "54 seconds from the Christchurch Winter festival poi performance. A great show. Video also has music." video that is ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,049    Replies: 5
"Heya all, My name is BongoCIH and I'm from Newcastle Australia. I'm pretty new to the scene as I only got my poi around 2-3 weeks ago. I'm pretty excited about getting into this field a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,571    Replies: 34
"Bish mentioned in one of his posts how much he has grown in the past year and a half, partially due to spinning.I have been wondering, if spinning or adding yourself to this board has c..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,488    Replies: 3
"My Fellow Fire Spinners and I are trying to get a Fire Production together, and want to do stuff inside. However we are stuck with Insurance Problems~! The owners are iffy with having..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,329    Replies: 4
"Anyone ever attempt to do stunts with poi? flips or tucks? Im too chicken to try! Even with my little tennis balls. what about ground moves such as rolls and stuff? I mean, if peop..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,087    Replies: 12
"I'm trying to get a local spin meet together in my home town. When I go out with boyf to local park all the local kids (and some adults)come over and tho most are really friendly/intere..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,796    Replies: 1
"Hi everyone!!!!Just to let you know Just Jugglers is back with the people who use to run the drome!!!! The new venue is Every Tuesday44-46 Newington Cause WayNr Elephant&Castle Tube.3£..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,743    Replies: 7
"Prom and I were hanging at the mall, looking for leather (Got some great stuff on clearance) and Diablos and Devil Sticks (Didn't find any we likes). Our search took us into the Discove..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,389    Replies: 21
"Ok. Last year the people of the UK (Simos originally)started a discussion about all of us meeting up for a big gathering with a day of spinning and a night of fire.https://www.homeofpoi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,150    Replies: 7
"Hey everyone, i was just wondering if i could get some opinions on what kind of poi to get? I plan on eventually working my way up to fire but for now ill stick with something that won'..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,131    Replies: 12
"When you guy get to gether to spin fire, do you go through any rituals, or ceremonial type things. Do you breath fire first to make offerings to the fire Gods or something. Or do you ju..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,527    Replies: 6
"Yikes... two new threads... I'll stop, I promise.....actually, this was motivated by Diana's comment under the cool "places" thread...Another good opportunity to get some real life cont..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,439    Replies: 4
"Hey all, I'm a newbie from Aus, and was wondering if you guys have any info regarding staff's. What are the best sort to get for a beginer, do I get one with a wide wick or a thi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,412    Replies: 1
"Anyone going up (down?) to Confest this easter? For THE BIGGEST (yes way bigger than Flashpoint!!) Fire and drums party in Australia, aswell as all the other confesty stuff, see you at ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,283    Replies: 8
"hey malcom, i hhave a small request for you, that is to put some kind of clock on the site so we people in other countries can see when the posts were becouse it can be a little disores..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,217    Replies: 1
"Hey y'all...I just wanted to inform everyone that sydney is really the Home of Poi hub! Last night we had myself, Finn, Frenzie, Monkeykat, Bobrob and &lbr;Josh&rbr; all twirling toget..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,758    Replies: 1
"Does anyone know of a store, or a website where you can get stuff w/ flames on it?!?I've been trying to find the floormats and seat covers specifically w/ flames on them for my new car...."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,491    Replies: 13
"So, I ordered a pair of "Nomex Fire Resistant Gloves" from an army surplus mag and several feet of the cord used for finger torches and fire eating......the current idea is to wrap a 2"..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,512    Replies: 2
"Hey people, just wanted to say hi. I'm new to this board, and to poi. Been going at it for about 4 days now, got most of the basic stuff down..i'm going in order on the lesson list and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,142    Replies: 2
"---If anyone else from the Newtown fire group gets this, please pass on asap everyone else, hit back on your browser button bar, NOW. ---Flash,Left your number and email at work - plea..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,345    Replies: 3
"ok pplhow about staff moves which take the staff between the legs in the vertical plane?I have the front to back pass and the back to front pass and various combos...can anyone tell me ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,726    Replies: 15
"would you guys like a magazine strictly about fire? and if there was one what sort of content would you be after? i think im going to do my magazine brief on twirling, (for my computer ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,149    Replies: 3
"Hey everyone,I've been working a lot on my staff skills, and I was wondering if anyone has any staff moves which take the staff between the legs while spinning in the horizontal plane?I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,056    Replies: 8
"Hi all,I'm a newbie and have some questions regarding length of your cables/chains/whatever. I've been using the old standard "arm's length" rule, but I notice in some of the videos an..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,764    Replies: 2
"this thread was inspired by Pele's "Auidence perspective" thread.From what was said in that threaD...when you guys perform for an audience, do you do a routine that would be different f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,268    Replies: 7
"So I was at gathering on Saturday night at a talent show to raise money for Habitat for Humanity and I got to see *real* Poi in action by a cool NZ chick that lives in Akita. She is Mao..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,751    Replies: 4
"well, after a 10 week wait, i finally got my set of krill lights. i was super exctied, until i turned them on. the led was nice and bright, but the "glow stick" part was waaaay less pow..."

HOP Newsletter