Hawked HobbitSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I just bought a fire staff and I'm beginning to learn it. I just had a few questions--

How often should I practice with it?

Are there any good text tutorials? Video is bad for my internet.

Generally, with regular practice, how long would it be till I'd be good enough for shows, and to light it up?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Hawked Rabbit.

Big questions, and ones which you will need to answer yourself. Practice as much as you can, daily, hourly, maybe even every minute... smile

Consider aiming to keep each move tight and resist the urge to spin fast at the beginning, the slower you go at the start, the tighter and more consistent you will be later on.

As for how long it would be to do shows, that's a whole different questions. You need consistancy in your moves, for sure, but as well, to build a show that is entertaining and fun to watch for muggles (non fire-spinners). Paramount is safety through, you will need at least one full time safety, with an all-types fire extinguisher, fire blanket and fully trained in their use.

Same for the first and every time you light up, full time trained safety looking on...

Does that help?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

11 posts

Posted:
The group I've been hanging out with has very well trained, professional fire-spotters. So that's not an issue. And I've just gone to practice at Flowjo, a circus arts group in the same studio as the Ring of Steel(the stage combat group I'm with) for the first time since buying my staff, and I'm surprised by how quickly I'm picking it up. It helps that there are a lot of fire-spinners there to pick the brains of.

I haven't so much been doing set moves as just messing around, seeing what I can do. Well, a bit of both, really. I was actually offered a chance at the studio to light my staff, but I declined since it's probably a better idea to wait a bit.

11 posts

Posted:
The group I've been hanging out with has very well trained, professional fire-spotters. So that's not an issue. And I've just gone to practice at Flowjo, a circus arts group in the same studio as the Ring of Steel(the stage combat group I'm with) for the first time since buying my staff, and I'm surprised by how quickly I'm picking it up. It helps that there are a lot of fire-spinners there to pick the brains of.

I haven't so much been doing set moves as just messing around, seeing what I can do. Well, a bit of both, really. I was actually offered a chance at the studio to light my staff, but I declined since it's probably a better idea to wait a bit.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's good to hear, and is a different direction from your original question.

Let move into a different performance art as comparison. How long does a magician need to practice magic before doing shows? The real answer is not how long they have practised magic, but how much progress they have made, and how consistent they are to build their routines into a show.

But it doesn't stop there. Once they have the magic skills, they then need to progress on the entertainment factor, how do they interact with people, how do they handle hecklers, which of their routines are noticed by the public as entertaining and which routines, despite the personal opinion of the magician, are simply boring to muggles, or need to be presented in a completely different way.

The amount of practice is not as important as the progression, which only you, or people who know you, can measure.

Does that make sense?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

11 posts

Posted:
Okay, I understand that. Generally, how long should it take before I can light safely though? I already feel pretty confident, I just want to make sure I'm smart about it. And by how long, I mean should I think in terms of weeks or months?... I know it's different for everyone. Just wondering if I would deserve an epic chewing out for lighting a few weeks after starting or not.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
If you had trained safeties around, with the right equipment, no chewing out necessary. Just stick to that , even when you have progressed, and stay safe. No chewing out needed,,, smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

11 posts

Posted:
Okay, cool. Thanks.

11 posts

Posted:
Also, winter is on the way. I wanted to ask, is the cold and snow bad to spin in? Cold doesn't affect me much, so that wouldn't be an issue, but is it hard to do fire in the cold winter weather?

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
depends on where you are (varying weather patterns and temperatures) i think but generally if you wear a warm hoody/jacket before and after spinning fire then there isnt a huge issue, depending on the hoody/jacket you may be able to spin with them on but in the past the fire has kept me warm enough without needing the extra layers

just remember to keep fire heads covered so they dont get wet and snow does indeed melt so if you frequent a certain spot to spin fire then it is possible that snow one night will be ice next time you return so check the ground condition before spinning wink

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

11 posts

Posted:
I live in Michigan. You know, absolutely no logic or predictability to the weather. Case in point, earlier this spring, in the middle of he night, it was so warm my best friend who(who can't take anything remotely resembling cold) and I were walking around shirtless because it was so warm out. 24 hours later, there were inches of snow on the ground and a blizzard.

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
i know that sort of weather, in march here (northern ireland) we had a heatwave that was close to breaking the local heat records and then the week after the heatwave ended we had a few inches of snow and hailstones pelting us for most of the week

cant remember if it was january this year or last year but was doing a photoshoot and while there was no snow/hail/rain and even not much wind, it was cold enough that my phone didnt work properly and one of our group brought a duvet to keep herself warm. still ended up being nicely warm while i was spinning tho smile

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh