The Poi RunnerBRONZE Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
All righty... I want to buy a pair of fire poi and despite going through a lot of threads I still have not decided which poi would be the best.
I know there many factors to look at when purchasing a pair of fire poi, but hey, why not see what other people use!

Thanks!

One cannot simply be good at poi

I do not do drugs, I am drugs - Salvador Dali

Gary_CifersSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
When I started spinning fire (which took me a year to get to) I started off with the 2 inch weka's and then after 2 sets of the 2.5 inch wekas i jumped to monkey fists. In my opinion it's best to start small and work your way up. when i first spun with the monkey fists i wasn't used to the weight/size and ended up hitting my face while they were lit... being punched by a monkey on fire is no fun lmao

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
I used Cathdral first. Those were okay. Had a lightish weight but no fun for stalls or slower work. Haven't had too much experience with moonblaze poi. Heard they're light and hold a lot of fuel. I like my monkeys though. Don't get huge ones. Like Cifers said, the weight can be offsetting if they're too big. The wood core of the monkey fists really makes for some nice stalls and great otbitals if you have swivels.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

The Poi RunnerBRONZE Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, I bought a pair of tube fire poi a while back (I voted the lonesome 1 for tube...) but I'm looking for something else... looks like monkey fists at the moment!

One cannot simply be good at poi

I do not do drugs, I am drugs - Salvador Dali

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
One of my good friends prefers tube poi. He likes it because of its resemblence to flowtoys and relatively light weight

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

ShockeclipseSILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Medium cathedral.... Not sure what I'm going to get next.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I prefer the poi that have a long solid stick where the chain would be wink

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
laugh3 beat me to it I was gonna say.
I like to use unique poi without tails, chains, string or handles. Wait no sorry that's balls.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I don't really spin fire much but I do have a really old set of pink furry Tepooka sock poi that are the best set I've ever owned. For fire I tend to use cathedrals. The bigger the better.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

grant_helenbrook_SILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
i like how defined the wicks are of the monkey fist but isis and twistas are great for big flames and a big surface area it all depends on the spinner

Adonisstranger
5 posts

Posted:
Cathedral,
I mostly use...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
tube wicks, but then I've had them for 10years now, though i only burn 1-4 times a year now smirk used to be a lot more, they're still in good condition though. As I'm getting back into it, methinks I may try isis sometime smile