Forums > Help! > Wanting to make a rope poi - non fire

Login/Join to Participate

kazzy79stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I want to make a rope poi. Just a normal one, not fire. I tried a normal monkey fist and it did work out for most things. At the same time it didn't seem like it had enough weight to do a few of the other tricks.

I made some new ones, however, now, I think they are too heavy to be practical for, again, a few of the tricks. They are soft baseballs wrapped in monkey fist. The balls themselves I think make a good weight, however, I think the rope just made em a bit to heavy. I like them too much to tear em apart tho so going to keep them and see what I can do with them!! smile

With all this mind, what would be good to use for a rope poi? I like the monkey fist knots, I just do not know what would make a good weight to give them to make them practical. I have seen poi of all kinds of sizes looking at videos and I'm thinking maybe a hacky sack type thing or something similar? I want it to be rope because I like rope and I want it to last me for a while, vs panty hoses or socks and such things like that. Plus I liked how it felt when I had the first pair I made... I just need to get the right weight down.

thanx for any advice!

kazzy ~

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I made a monkey fist meteor about a month ago, an then cut it in half to make poi. I agree with you, rope alone is two light for good spinning. I used golf balls as weight in mine. They provided a good amount weight in a small package. I was using 3/8" braided nylon rope, and needed a good 4-5 turns per axis of the monkey fist to cover the golf balls.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

kazzy79stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Didn't think about golf balls! That would be easier than trying to find hacky sacks lol... probly cheaper too! Thanx will give that a try!!

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Your welcome. Hope it works out for you.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.