Forums > Social Discussion > Benefits of the arts survey.

Login/Join to Participate

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, Im currently doing a 5000+ word report on the benefits of circus skills and circus training. As part of this I have put together a quick survey (less than 10 questions) If you would like to help out leave a comment with your answers below or if you do not feel comfortable with that feel free to pm me. Thank you in advance.

What is your age? (select one)
Under 8
9-11
12-15
16-18
18-21
21+

What age did you become interested in/training circus skills? (select one)
Under 8
9-11
12-15
16-18
18-21
21+

What is your favorite area of circus to work in? (select one)
Aerial (silks, trapeze, rope etc.)
Acro
Manipulation (juggling, poi, staff etc.)
Balance (stilts, uni, walking globe etc.)
Other (add details)

What is your favourite prop/activity?

What do you think is the biggest benefit of circus skills/training/performing? (try to add details)
Physical benefits (fitness, core strength etc.)
Mental benefits (co-ordination, reactions etc.)
Social benefits (more self confidence, new friends etc.)
Other (add details)

Have you noticed a marked improvement in yourself directly resulting from circus training? (add details as appropriate)

Do you think that circus training could be beneficial in some cases of physical impairment/learning disability? (eg. juggling to aid hand-eye coordination etc.)
Yes
No

Have you had any experience of this personally? (either in yourself or someone else, please add details)

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
21+
21+
manipulation
Juggling
Biggest benefit -
Physical - improved hand eye coordination, timing and hand speed Ideal for cricket and tennis practice
mental - relaxing and stress catharsis
Social - Great for breaking the ice or meeting new people
other - looks cool lol

Marked improvement - not massively I was already very sporty but found this a good non impact non competetive easily transportable physical hobby that had added benefits to other activities.

For Impariment / disabilities - possible stress releif and focus, although risks of over stressing / frustration if unable to master the basics to start off.

tongue2

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
What is your age? 21+

What age did you become interested in/training circus skills?
12-15

What is your favorite area of circus to work in? can you clarify what you mean by 'work in'? Personally I work in all areas of circus. And love it all..well most of it..Or do you mean taking part in? I take part in manipulation and love that.
So... Favourite to work in - probably acrobatics
Favourite to do - manipulation

What is your favourite prop/activity? I presume you mean to take part in? Mm... hard one. I don't have one specific. I love Hula Hoop because I can loose myself, but love the satisfaction of club juggling.

What do you think is the biggest benefit of circus skills/training/performing?
Physical benefits (fitness, core strength etc.) sure all of it, strength, flexibility, stamina...but it depends on what you do? If you are say a base, you biggest benefit would be strength, but to the detriment of flexibility. A juggler would probably be quite specific arm strength, a hula hooper core stability..
Mental benefits (co-ordination, reactions etc.) co-ordination, spatial awareness,
Social benefits (more self confidence, new friends etc.) becoming part of a very small community. A sense of belonging.
Other Fun! Enjoyment.

Have you noticed a marked improvement in yourself directly resulting from circus training? It's hard to say, as I started at quite an important developmental stage of my life, I can't say how I would have turned out otherwise! I would say I certainly have quicker reactions and more co-ordination than I used to from juggling, from the hooping I have an OK core stability.

Do you think that circus training could be beneficial in some cases of physical impairment/learning disability?
Yes

Have you had any experience of this personally? Yup. I'm dyspraxic, and learning to juggle was, and is a huge thing. I have a marked improvement in my co-ordination. Also, it's given me the confidence not to give up so easily.
I've seen many students come through with dyslexia, or dyspraxia and go away a lot better, a lot more confidence in themselves.
Also, we've done at work a lot of work with disabled people. There was a deaf sway-pole workshop which was great, a workshop for autistic children etc... I think the main thing it gives them is confidence. Plus the general circus community is quite open to everyone, it doesn't stigmatise people, so there's a sense of welcome and belonging no matter where, who or what you are. Other communities can be quite different to that.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
21+
18-21
Manipulation
Poi
Physical benefits - strength, movement
Mental benefits - relax
Social benefits - non at present
Have you noticed a marked improvement in yourself directly resulting from circus training? Strength, fitness, no smoking, no coffee, no fastfood.
Do you think that circus training could be beneficial in some cases of physical impairment/learning disability? Yes
Have you had any experience of this personally? Nope

ninja

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
What is your age?

What is your favorite area of circus to work in?
-Manipulation - juggling, poi, isolation hoop, kendama
-Balance - unicycle, slackline

What is your favorite prop/activity?
-Equal love for all my manipulation props. It is like asking which is your favorite child.

What do you think is the biggest benefit of circus skills/training/performing?
Physical benefits
-Flexibility, coordination, balance, knowing one's body.
Mental benefits
-not going crazy, stress relief, meditative, confidence, happiness.
Social benefits
-make friends, help teach others, making people happy.

Have you noticed a marked improvement in yourself directly resulting from circus training?
-Yes, I have lost weight. I am slightly ninja. I am more flexible. I am noticeably happier. My girlfriend thinks I am sexier. I know more about myself and my body. I am all around a better and more groovy person in general. I am better at life.

Do you think that circus training could be beneficial in some cases of physical impairment/learning disability?
-Yes, 100%.

Have you had any experience of this personally?
-No

Groovy

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
21+

21+

Manipulation (juggling, poi, staff etc.)

Clubs and Poi are tied for first place at the moment.

What do you think is the biggest benefit of circus skills/training/performing? (try to add details)
Endurance, body awareness, strength.
Patience, Improved Hand-Eye Coordination, Supposedly good for your mind.
In terms of taking your skills in front of an audience, I do think self confindence can be raised.

Have you noticed a marked improvement in yourself directly resulting from circus training? (add details as appropriate)
Yes, as someone who is often anxious and depressed, I've become quite a bit more comfortable in front of others, and quite a bit happier.

Do you think that circus training could be beneficial in some cases of physical impairment/learning disability? (eg. juggling to aid hand-eye coordination etc.)
Yes

Have you had any experience of this personally? (either in yourself or someone else, please add details)
No.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
21+

18+

Manipulation (juggling, poi)
If mountain unicycling counts as circus, that as well. tongue2

Poi and uni.

Just the fact that you need to be generally active.
I am more comfortable in my own body, although it may have overlapped with the end of growing as well. Happy meeting people and learning new things.
Interesting, usually friendly people.
Other:
Juggling allows me a greater chance of catching things I drop. Usually I drop them because I am trying to juggle them though....

Not sure about marked improvement, but it definitely helped me through a dark patch or two.

Yes. Provided that you are aware of your own limitations, for example shoulder injuries and such.

No.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland