BouweSILVER Member
stranger
15 posts

Posted:
hey guys,

I just started playing around with poi, and i decided i'd try learning the buzzsaw, but it's proving a little difficult: the poi don't stay in the "buzzsaw-plane" if you know what i mean; they keep going diagonally...

Frisbeetarianism: the belief that when you die your soul gets stuck on the roof.

whatever you do, DON'T - oh nevermind....

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Pay attention to your hand paths and try not to get distracted by the weight of the poi. If you can keep your hands moving in neat vertical circles, the poi will follow. Really that applies to a lot of plane control issues; if your planes are wonky, it's probably because your hands are tracing a wonky circle.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Ash3sSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Is there a nice, *simple* way of getting into a buzzsaw? I can do them, but have to stop spinning before I can get into them.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Well, if you can do a weave you know how to switch which side of your arm your poi is on. Just use that motion but instead of going to the other side of your body you put it between your arms. Then you can do it from a weave or whatever.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

BouweSILVER Member
stranger
15 posts

Posted:
i don't really have a problem with my other planes, just the buzzsaw... but i'll put your advice to use and see if it helps, thanks!

Frisbeetarianism: the belief that when you die your soul gets stuck on the roof.

whatever you do, DON'T - oh nevermind....

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Saloon doors vid on youtube by meenik will help you with planes of all kinds, including buzzsaw planes.

hug

oscurochuSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Begin by swinging one poi to your side. Invert (to "buzzsaw" plane) the poi to the inside of your arm. Now switch the poi back to the side of your body ("side" plane), outside of your arm. Try with your other hand. This should be easy. Now spin both poi. Invert one poi at a time. Just like with any move, it takes practice to make perfect. The buzz saw is probably one of the easiest moves, but just like with any move, going from one variation to the next can be the most difficult part.

Spend about 10-20 minutes going from side plane to buzzsaw plane, one poi at a time. Put your poi down, or practice another move for a few minutes, and try practicing the buzzsaw again. This time, try inverting them both at the same time.

I hope my advice is helpful. Keep practicing, and have fun spinning!