Page:
DeadManWalkin30member
25 posts

Posted:
I was wondering how many different styles do people on this page know??
I personally have taken a year or two in Tae Kwon Do and have recently started Okinawan Goju Ryu

Fanaticus Incendi -Pyromaniac

David_Thomas1SILVER Member
journeyman
88 posts

Posted:

Many countries and cultures developed their own martial arts long before they knew India existed.
Martial arts didn't originate in a single place. Many countries developed their own styles independent of each other. The earliest martial art recorded actually came from Egypt. following Greece. There are 100's if not thousands of martial arts Origionating from different countries and different time, saying that most of them or even 25% of them all origionated in India is just a stupid idea sorry.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
David: Speaking for myself, and I think most here would agree, I am not arguing that *all* martial arts come from India. Just that, like Mesh mentioned, many of the Asian art forms (which is what most will think of if you say "martial art") seem to have common ancestry, which appears to start in India.

Evidence of a strong Buddhist influence is fairly widespread. An example from my own limited experience is the most advanced kata in Goju-Ryu being called Superunpei, which translates to "108 steps", a number of some significance in Buddhism, which did originate from India (other kata translate to 36 and 18 hands, which are also of import in Buddhist numerology). Goju-ryu is derived from Fujian White Crane kung fu, which is where I think these kata come directly (or nearly so) from. I personally see no real reason to doubt that the spread of Buddhism, along with Indian martial arts have not had at least some influence throughout most of Eastern Asia.

On the other hand, certainly people were hitting each other, with or without some form of weapon way back. And I am sure that at least some individuals will have studied how to be more effective at that and passed it on in some way.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

journeyman
88 posts

Posted:
Oh im just saying cause all of the martial arts i know of, ive never heard of kata and those othe ones, but yea obviously kung fu and karate, and judo and what not came from different parts of asia

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Kata are the aforementioned 'fancy dances'

Basically a series of motions and drills some arts like Karate or Tai Chi like to do over and over as part of training

Just a dancer in the dark

QuestHBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Anyway just to end the debate... some history links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_arts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kata

to say that all martial arts originated in India is a ridiculous allegation, even to say all of the Asian martial arts originated in India would be just as ridiculous. To say that India played a large role in influencing martial arts in Asia would be a correct statement.

journeyman
88 posts

Posted:
Thank you!

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Noone here, ESPECIALLY not me, said all martial arts originated in India. What I said was, hold on, I'll quote myself:

Originally Posted By: meshunderlayI beleive most martial arts ideas, same with religious ideas, all started in one area and spread. As they spread they changed slightly and at times more extremely. India happens to be one of the places that you can trace many other Asian MA styles to.
I'm not 100% sure on other styles.

If you'll notice, I only say "India happens to be ONE of the places ... Asian MA styles..."

I'll thank you to not tell me something I said was wrong after misreading what I wrote. ^_^

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayNoone here, ESPECIALLY not me, said all martial arts originated in India. What I said was, hold on, I'll quote myself:

Originally Posted By: meshunderlayI beleive most martial arts ideas, same with religious ideas, all started in one area and spread. As they spread they changed slightly and at times more extremely. India happens to be one of the places that you can trace many other Asian MA styles to.
I'm not 100% sure on other styles.

If you'll notice, I only say "India happens to be ONE of the places ... Asian MA styles..."

I'll thank you to not tell me something I said was wrong after misreading what I wrote. ^_^

Was all this quoting with or without the self medicating? tongue2

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
"do" vs "jutsu" - "do" is a study of a martial art as a "way" whereas "jutsu" is study of a martial art for practical application of that art - e.g. for actual fighting or at least for the "technical" application of the art.
Example Kendo/Kenjutsu (my area) - kendo = the way of the sword where a sword-like object is used as the mechanism to progress in life, whereas kenjutsu is more the study of the "technical" ways of weilding a real sword to cut, slice and dice efficiently. A kendo practioner may go through his/her whole life studying the art and never once take up a real sword, whereas a kenjutsu practitioner would be lost without one.

Kata may be thought of by some as a "dance" but in the strictly prescribed moves lies the "frozen in time" history of the art of the ryu. Kata were developed to teach the subleties of the art in the safety of "mock battle". As you progress through the different levels, different aspects of the kata suddenly reveal themselves as your different perspective opens your mind to the new learning. Believe it or not - it's true. If you haven't experienced it for yourself then I'd say you are not a true practitioner! (or do not have a suitable level sensei perhaps).

I LOVE kata! As long as you practice with the intensity of a real battle . . .

IMHO

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Or are doing a martial art without kata/forms.

journeyman
88 posts

Posted:
Um actually look at the fist page someone said "There are literally hundreds of martial arts, but ALL of them originated from India." That was copy and paste, and who i was talking too, You just kind of saw your way into it. Good job.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I actually did not go back and re-read the posts from 9 years ago, so, I kind of figured you know, that the folks posting now were having a conversation about Martial Arts...

I guess I was wrong.

QuestHBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlaySorry, I actually did not go back and re-read the posts from 9 years ago, so, I kind of figured you know, that the folks posting now were having a conversation about Martial Arts...

I guess I was wrong.

hahaha oh snap! I read this and thought you were crazy until I actually looked at the date of page one lol... I blame phherri for bumping an ancient post!

phherristranger
7 posts

Posted:
My son is a rising 2nd Dan Black Belt and has also started combining POI into his demonstration techniques. I just posted a new video that has a sample of his working spinning into a routine. Here it is:

phherristranger
7 posts

Posted:
WOW, I did not read that I got busted for a post until I posted the last video (Above). Did I step into it and mess up the natural order of posting???

Sorry if I caused confusion!

Phil

phherristranger
7 posts

Posted:
Hey, sorry guys and lady's. I corrected the post and now have the video on You Tube. I ave also just posted another video of Ian (much closer than at the tournament so you can see him spin)

I seem to be falling into the middle of topics when I use the search function. did not mean to upset the natural order.

Phil

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Unless you are using a threaded view, it should not matter too much. smile

Page: