Forums > Social Chat > Independent Research Project

Login/Join to Participate

TroikaSILVER Member
The official unofficial purveyor of cake
26 posts

Posted:
Hey Everyone! I'm working on an independent research project during my senior year of highschool (I'm in the US). My projects "goal" is to find the possiblility and economic potential of a fire troupe including performing and teaching. I've done research on permits for my area and specialty insurace and what not. but now I'm working on pricing and choreography. I've gotten into my schools talent show (which wasn't hard since 90% of the people are singing and they were more than glad to have something different) so I've started this process a little by reading some posts already on the forums about this. On another note, I'm somewhat loss on how to price performances and what not. So what I'm asking for is a couple people I could email or talk to in this forum about how they choreograph or how they price/what their prices are. Even if you're in a different country I'd be more than happy for you to help me. Essentially I need a mentor or mentors, someone I could ask any questions that might pop up throuhgout the rest of my project.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
This thread is relevant to my interests. Always wondered about pricing for performance.

I guess it's kind of complicated as it boils down to time and skill. I guess it all depends on how good you think you're worth, and how good you actually are.

Good luck with the talent show. Kick those gleeks collective asses smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
A large part of it comes down to what you think you are worth, yeah. Also, remember that this is still relatively non-mainstream (or has gone back under if it ever was), so people may be willing to pay more for your talents than for even a very good dancer (say).

If you have not done so yet, have a look in the technical section for choreo advice, I suspect there is also some in the help section.

Also, what people are not looking for is pure technical skill. They are looking for a show, to be entertained. Being able to do extension vs pentagram hybrids will not help unless it is something that they like seeing. Basic moves will work, and if you can drop in something insane (preferably something that looks insane/dangerous) at the right place, great.

That said, I am sure other people can tell you more. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

nico_BaeyensSILVER Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
people like to see you burn XD
i always got the feeling people are just waiting for you to go up in flames XD

Dancing with the flames,
Fire in our hearts, fire all around
We feel the breathing of the fire, we feel the spirit of the fire,
we hear the rhapsody of the fire’s wild flames…

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: aston
Also, what people are not looking for is pure technical skill.

Yep. All you need to learn is how to spin really, really, really fast.

Civilians love that...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
and buzzsaw, you get people practically throwing themselves at you if you can do that tongue2

Seriously though, if you're gonna perform, make it showy and awesome to see. Being overly technical will get you kudos points from people who know how much would have gone into learning that, but most people would still be caught on the fact you're waving fire past your ears sadly...

EDITED_BY: Seaspray (1295444265)

Just a dancer in the dark

TroikaSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
So I'm really pushing for fire during the Talent show, but its still looking like I'll have to do LEDs, even with our safety protocal.

I'm going to go back through and re-read a couple posts about choreography because I have to start laying it all out today! the show is in about two weeks but the song, I have picked right now, is only three minutes long so I'm going to work my butt off to finish laying it out this week.

I'm going to play pricing by ear at the moment. though I never thought about people paying more because it's not a weel known talent. I'll shoot some emails to performers in the area, only one fire troupe that I know of but they are some bellydancing troupes and other various performers, to see what they charge.

the3rdchildthe kid down the street
10 posts

Posted:
My friend charged a hundred bucks for fifteen minutes, but thats pretty steep. If your doing fire than think about the cost of fuel, insurance and travel to the place of the show. If you using l.e.d.s to preform than it'll cost less to preform. But it all depends on how far along you are, if you want a crazy crowd i'd suggest learning angel wings, buzz saws, anything behind the back, and lots of variations on old tricks.

who are you callin wierd, you catch balls, i just swing'em

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I say that lots of people aren't gonna put their prices up here on the website. My suggestion is find some fire performers in your area, pretend to be a client and ask for a quote...

TroikaSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
So the talent show was a couple nights ago and it went great! We didn't place in the top three, but from what I heard everyone's mind was blown. My friends were in front of the judges and said there were only good comments. First place was taken by a comedian, and truthfully he deserved it.

Anyways I'm going to get a video of the performance from someone and I'll post it as soon as I can.

CalibudGOLD Member
φωτιά
49 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_DogOriginally Posted By: aston
Also, what people are not looking for is pure technical skill.

Yep. All you need to learn is how to spin really, really, really fast.

Civilians love that...

Civilians... LMAO!