Forums > Other Toys > Question about breathing and skin contact...

Login/Join to Participate

KiannaRexiastranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone. I'm a long time fire performer and am just now starting to delve into eating and breathing as well as burlesque performance. I had a question concerning flame to skin contact and where I can learn how to do this safely and what chemicals to use. I'm mostly interested in creating a display much like the one in the video linked below...

I've seen many performers do the flame to skin trick yet none of them were willing to share their secrets. Is it all in the chemical or substance the wicks are soaked in? Or do you prepare by rubbing some sort of flame retardant balm on yourself? Please let me know if you have any experience or knowledge in this type of performance or if you can refer me to someone who does who would gladly share. Thank you so much!

KiannaRexiastranger
3 posts

Posted:
Ahhh nevermind I totally think I figured it out... the term is called "fleshing" and typically white gas is used. Sorry to cloud your forums Home of Poi! >____<

KiannaRexiastranger
3 posts

Posted:
Ahh still at a loss after all! Does anyone know how the trick is actually executed? Aside from paying attention to flash points is there anything I need to prep or protect my skin with?

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Only got a munite. Will try to answer you more fully later.
Guess I might as well be the first to say it. There’s nothing safe about skin contact. But if you insist. You need to minimise the length of time your in contact with the flame, you want the fuel to burn off you not the flame to burn you. No matter haw care full you are at some point you will end up in pain but hopefully with just a minor burn like a slight sunburn.

Looking after your skin Is very important. Invest in a very good moisturiser.
Got to go to work. Finish this later.

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Right ignoring the miss typing.
Good quality moisturiser nothing that’s oil based.

Fire eating. You will burn the inside of your mouth! As far as I’m aware there is no avoiding it.
I’m not going to take the censored by going into details I’ll leave you to look them up your self.
Fire breathing enough has been said on this subject before me thinks.
Hmmm guess I haven’t has as much to say as I thought I would.
You say you have been performing with fire for a while, You should be able to make your choice.
Personally I think contact is ok with the right fuel I’ve done it more than once.
Fire eating and breathing I know people who do and I think there crazy possibly not in a good way.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok I can clear up some with fire eating and breathing. The Fire Guild teaches people regularly to eat fire and it's not hard really. You don't burn the inside of your mouth or any part at all if you do it right and there's lots of cool things to do. Like you can hold the torch with your teeth and no hands without burning yourself. A certain man on here has great fire eating tutorials so I'll send you way to his YouTube channel. He also has the fire contact tutorials so consider him your new friend smile
https://www.youtube.com/user/seer5#g/u

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
No offence man but have you bothered to watch his Fire Eating Tutorial: Health and Safety bit?

First thing he says is you will be burnt.

https://www.youtube.com/user/seer5#p/u/6/R4qgTiKvZZA

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
No I have not seen that one yet. That one is new if you look at the date tongue2 I've been burned once, but you made it sound like everytime you put it out you'll get burned and I just wanted to clarify.

My example of getting burned was a minor burn on my lip when I was holding the torch with me teeth and the wind suddenly changed and the flame went towards. But yeah, don't do it a lot and don't hold it very long because of the reasons he says. But also as he says if you feel your teeth heating up, pull it out. If you have access to not very cold water (if it's too cold it could crack your teeth), like if it's just practice, just get some and put it in your mouth.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FireJinnBRONZE Member
Sage of many fires
22 posts

Posted:
Kianna the trick to fleshing is very simple. There is lit trails and unlit trails basically. A lit trail is when one runs a lit torch over the skin and an unlit trail is when one traces a line of fuel on the skin and then lights it.
One important thing to remember is "wiping". Which is wiping your flesh where the fire is. You must wipe quickly and don't flail around if the flame doesn't go out. Most fleshers can handle and average of one to three seconds of flame on their skin. Anything after three seconds results in bad burns. I have dived into fleshing awhile ago and fell in love with it. I perfer to use my whole body as a canvas for fleshing (not including private areas)but a good way to start is to practice in the palm of your hand with a lit torch and then try running lit trails on the back of your arms these areas are fairly tough. Don't forget to wipe yourself and also never put anything on your skin before you flesh if you do wait an hour to an hour and a half for it to fully dry. Hope this helps.

Mark

discowrapsBRONZE Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
i do fire eating shows quite regularly maybe 150 plus show per year and have had very very few poor expieriences more severe than burning my beard i do candeling(up to five seconds) mini blasts and the teeth hold up to 10 seconds without problem be safe and remember if it hurts your doing it wrong

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I would like to encourage any fire-breather/ eater to return to this forum in 5 - 10 years and share their experience with us in retrospect smile hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink