Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How to get out of a buzzsaw

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I can get into a buzzsaw, but I never use them because I can't get out of them without it being complete slop and awkwardness. How does one cleanly get out and back to normal from this inward motion?

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
what do you call "normal"?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

alex alexstranger
6 posts

Posted:
If you haven't done it yet,i would advise learning to do the weave (with one hand) where your poi goes not one side of the body-other side of the body,but side of the body-inside plane-side of the body-inside plane-etc. that is that is ,you start as normal weave,but at the moment where you would cross your arm to the opposite side of the body ,instead you just carry the poi along your body's centerline (that is the line along which the buzzsaw is done),then back,etc. damn,it's hard to express movement with words,does this make any sense? if it does,than learn it with both hands separately,and then when you join the two,you can transition from weave to buzzsaw and back.

787 posts

Posted:
"normal" = standard forward or reverse swing position.

So I mean from the buzzsaw which involves the hands spinning the poi on the insides of the arms smoothly going back to an outside wall plane and releasing the shortened chains cleanly.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i always come out in a 3 beat

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

787 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'll try putting that plan into action...

I guess I re-lengthen the chains while weaving for maximum smoothness?

~Rock on!~

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
yeah i would practice on just coming out into a 3 beat for now then after you get that down good then i would work on releasing back to full length while going into the 3 beat

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
In my mind the easiest way is to simply think about how you got in to it...

From wheel plane, you simply do a fig-8 which instead of coming up across you, comes up in the buzzsaw plane.
To get out, just continue this fig-8 motion to get out again on your open side.

To un-wind shortened poi, you'll need to either turn yourself, or change the poi direction smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
dope! you just spoke my thoughts and ruined my entree..

on a more serious note: You simply note how you got into the mess and you'll instantly have the way out wink (split time provided)

As Durbs suggested: practice figure 8's with extended arms... going into the buzzsaw is only cutting the figure 8 into halfs - result= a circle inside (or "in front of your body" = half a buzzsaw)- going back to wallplane is doing the figure 8 once more and next staying on the "outside" (wallplane)...

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1279020731)
EDIT_REASON: elaborating

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Footwrap with one poi works nicely too.

Can then slip the other out while the first comes up in the opposite direction and go straight into a butterfly. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

lilBrobecBRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: alex alexIf you haven't done it yet,i would advise learning to do the weave (with one hand) where your poi goes not one side of the body-other side of the body,but side of the body-inside plane-side of the body-inside plane-etc. that is that is ,you start as normal weave,but at the moment where you would cross your arm to the opposite side of the body ,instead you just carry the poi along your body's centerline (that is the line along which the buzzsaw is done),then back,etc. damn,it's hard to express movement with words,does this make any sense? if it does,than learn it with both hands separately,and then when you join the two,you can transition from weave to buzzsaw and back.

just wanted to say that was an excellant description. I'm new to spinning, never heard of buzzsaw, but related it perfect to poi i've seen projected through your description.

<><