Page:
Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:

I just thought I'd blow my own trumpet and say that I've decided to stop smoking. As of yesterday.

Tis alright so far actually.

If this thread doesn't disappear too quickly I might come back and rant if it gets difficult. Which I hope it won't.

Yay!

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I've cut down from 20-30 a day to one every couple of days. I just can't see myself as a proper non-smoker though... frown

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
but one every couple of days from 20-30 every day is one hell of a good achievement!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Good luck with the cutting down approach everyone.

If, as time goes by, you find the approach is not getting you where you wanted to be, or, if you're trying any of the other traditional methods (substitution with patches/gum, or the willpower method) and they're not working, then do remember that Carrs approach is out there.

I think especially so for anyone who's tried the conventional approaches multiple times and failed to quit, they'll probably have a head start with Carr's method as they'll know from experience that what he's saying makes sense.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
down to two

tongue

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
hows is going Ali- bird... still surviving?

i quit for about 2 weeks -

but i dnt smoke much, and its just not something i WANT to quit

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*necrobump*

I smoked tobacco since age 12... at some stage being up to 1.5 packs/day... and as low as 1 cigarette a day but never really without it. Cutting down never worked for me... then (after an intense summer) I went to Thailand in September 2008...

Haven't touched tobacco (or substitutes) since... can't even imagine how it would be, picking it up again... am so happy to be over the urge to inhale tobacco for every (un)suitable occasion...

and/but what's best about it: I don't mind everybody else smoking in my surrounding (though it's banned from my house)... that in itself is the best sign for me...

How it worked? I didn't even think about quitting, just had enough of it at some stage.

Good luck everyone smile hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I was helping my girlfriend quit, for about 2 weeks she went. Then she started to question if she wanted to quit or not. Then, her mom (divorced parents, living with dad at the moment) started calling her ll the time and guilt tripping her for leaving. There were so many family problems, I've never seen anything like it. Especially all at the same time. And she just started again. She doesn't do it around me because I asked her. She doesn't even want to quit now. I hate it, and does anyone know something I could say to try and get her to quit again, or at least want to quit? She doesn't smoke a ton, but I always fear it will get that way.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Her parents smoke?

Smoking is a bad way to cope with stress. But that is nothing an addict wants to hear. What I have not been ready to admit is that I have been addicted to smoking. I pretended being able to quit when I wanted... when in fact I wasn't...

Maybe I don't know what you got to tell her, but I know what to tell you: unless she really wants to quit, there is nothing you can do about it. Trying to force someone to quit their addiction is a waste of time and effort.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen her parents smoke. She knows she's addicted and doesn't want to quit anymore.

Well, in that case, there really isn't anything I could say I guess. What I don't get and probably never will, is why she thinks smoking is a good way to cope with stress. She actually thinks it's helping her and I don't really get it. But your probably right. nothing I could say would make her try to quit.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
research electronic ciggs might be an alternative that she can try...

Didn't they tell you when you were litte, "Don't be a quitter"?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

2,280 posts

Posted:
She doesn't want to quit, so why would she use those?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
cheaper, doesnt smell, wont bother non-smokers, safer....just to name a few reasons

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
How about she does both. Combine the benefits!

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Or just smoke weed! tongue2

I've tried those e-cigarettes, those are fun. It's a different sensation for sure, but it is pleasant and completely different from a normal cigarette. All my friends that have switched to them say that they'll never switch back to regular cigarettes.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
I may have to mention that, I never even knew they had nicotine laugh3

But where exactly do you get e-cigs?
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1266028423)

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

2,280 posts

Posted:
damn those are expensive

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
IF you don't want to quit, its nigh on impossible.

brb, all this talk of smoking has got my cravings up tongue2

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
I've mostly cut back on smoking cigarettes to when I'm out in social environments like a bar or get together where there are lots of smokers. At home not so much. That's also the only time I ever really drink and even then it's cheap beer because I don't want to get stupid drunk off booze. It's strange though, sometimes I'll go for a run and while my legs are on fire and my lungs swell, a smoke suddenly sounds very nice!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
laugh3 last night I was dreaming of having smoked something big and heavy... I clearly remember how I exhaled smoke and thought "[censored], you picked up smoking again!"

One trick of the mind is this finding excuses and justifications around habits or addictions...

I feel it helped that I never said I would quit smoking. I simply took a break and am expanding it more and even more until it's now at 1.5 years. I said that I would quit many times before - and subsequently fell into that pattern of rejecting myself after when not finding the strength to pull through.. spank

Does it mean that I now quit smoking altogether?
I tell you in 5 years from now... wink

The world of smells suddenly reopens to a incredible degree and I do understand now - more than ever before - the suffering of non-smokers...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Wow dig up this golden oldie.

attempt 1 day 1 -
Got slightly frustrated realising the packets for nicotine patches are not easy tear so attempted to slowly remove top of plastic packet with nail clippers as first 12 hours nicotine free kicked in.
Then read instructions and realised I can't use the same place for my patch within 7 days so will need 7 rotary locations to stick one over the coming week.
Made it to work, where I can't smoke. should be OK now until Lunch time when I have my first food of the day and will miss my post lunch cigarette...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
this one helped me stop and go cold turkey https://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_01_tip_sheet.html
especially the bit about fruit juice, totally worked for me.
well...helped me cut down to strictly festivals and outdoor parties.. however the last one I went to I had no smokes at all, now I can officially be a non smoker!!
Good luck Mynci!! and everyone else!
Xx

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
end of week 3 and no real issues, stopped patches after 5 days this giving up malarky is easy. replacement therapy still in effect however I am not thinking about cigarettes and my triggers seem to have mostly faded.

No w to find a new vice to replace that one.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SakyubasuFlowing with the rhythm and beat of my heart.
1 post

Posted:
I just recently stop smoking as of a week ago. It has been a hard and rough journey for me but, I am glad that my car does not smell anymore nor do I have to worry about me spraying down every time I go back to work.
Still get irritated now and then but, it ain't easy. lol

Page: