Forums > Technical Discussion > I could use a little advice on my first toy

Login/Join to Participate

AaronMNewbie
8 posts

Posted:
So... I have found the site, introduced myself... and now I am looking into get my first toy to try out. I have seen poi a cpl times and it is mesmerizing... but I know next to nothing about it. Thus... I am asking for help from a community that knows about it, or at least I hope knows about it lol. Where is a good place for someone that has never done anything like this to start. I saw a cpl starter kits in the go shopping area and I assume that is a good place to start, but I want opinions from the people who have been doing it. Thanks for the feeback.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
probably your best bet for starting out is sock poi

great to use, forgiving when you're learning etc
check out nicks page on youtube or on playpoi.com for a great series of beginner tutorials to get you started smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
socks for sure. I still use cheap juggling balls inside mine, but bags of rice, millet birdseed, sand, or other grain are all very good because they're soft when they whack you upside your head or other delicate parts.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

AaronMNewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Ty for the tip. I checked that link on making sock poi and I think I will try that. Gonna look ridiculous buying long songs in a fruity color... but hey, its alright, its all for a good time. Thank you very much for advice

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend 100-150 grams of rice in each balloon.

hug

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
It costs a bit more, but I'm a firm supporter of cone poi. They're a bit pricier, but they don't stretch and they're a fairly sturdy set. They're my favourite practice poi to be honest.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Onepiece-Cone-poi

This statement is false...?

NightheronsGOLD Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Sock poi are a good start, but I second the recommendation of the one-piece cone poi from HOP. They aren't expensive and they've lasted me for ages. Just put some rice balloons or water balloons in them (I like at least 100g).

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend something like popcorn rather than rice - the larger grains means the individual parts are more able to move around which absorbs the impacts more gently.

Cake or Death?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Another vote for none stretchy socks. Stretchy ones will stretch a lot when you spin fast, which most people do when they are learning. Hyper means popcorn seeds. Though cooked popcorn may also work - if it doesnt you can eat it after, depending on the socks used of course!

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I like socks with a little stretch/spring to them. I've played with some really stretchy ones and they can be fun but are going to be harder to practice with (especially as a beginner).

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
My first set were these on crappy nylon leashes:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Single-MultiColor-LED-Glow-Ball-with-Attachment-Ring

I put them on some colecord and as far as looks go they're my least favorite, but they're still my favorite to spin with.

These might be the way to go:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDet...ks-of-Batteries

Comes with both socks and leashes, then you can play with both and decide what you like best.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
My first poi were socks with tennis balls in. Worked great.

First bought set were some 'glow' poi. It was a small led surrounded by beads that lit up. The beads all fell out though and the cords broke! I took them back and got some juggling balls instead which are still in my hyperloop cones from gayle smile

Id ay for socks, go with the hop cones or make some yourself with juggling balls. Glow - go with rainbow strobe and either put in white socks or buy 2 meters of colecord (or just get the colecord handle rig)

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
really, you can't go wrong just because once you get into it, you are going to accumulate a ridiculous amount of poi sets just to try out the different styles.

My first set was tennis balls with a rope stuck through them. Non-stretchy does have an advantage in learning because you can judge length consistently whenever you do your cross points. Stretchy socks change back and forth and force you to really think about it and compensate for speed, weight of the heads, and types of manuevers you are practicing.

I still prefer stretchy ones for wraps, stalls, and whip catches because the bounce back aids in the reversal of direction, but my overall favorites are ones that have thin rope/cords with heavy weights on the heads and a slight counterweight in the handles because I get a better tension in keeping the poi straight and can concentrate on the angle and direction of heads and the ends (when thrown). Thomas Johannson and friends made some poi under the Nevisoul title that are probably the closest to what Im talking about.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
for learning i would recommend sock poi, stay away from anything with lycra in it, if possible use 100%cotton and in my sockpoi i make them with 2 socks to each poi so they are a double thickness, gives a nice weight distribution and low stretchiness. still a tiny bit of stretch but in some ways i think this is helpful as you learn as the poi are constantly adapting to your speed

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

AaronMNewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Wow, ty for all the ideas. I went ahead and got the rice and the balloons but sincr the socks are kinda a seasonal thing I am gonna have to use ebay or something like that. I am getting there slowly. I dont think I will mind the little bit of stretchyness, I can adapt pretty well and for now I am just gonna be messing around until I can get a feel for the way things move so I wont be doing any fancy moves just yet.