GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if anyone could advise me what I should be working on to advance past the basic beginners moves. I am fairly good at most of the basic moves, weaves, butterflies (inc btwn legs), btb, windmills, corkscrews, mexican waves etc, and I have worked at transitions between the moves.

I have been working on flowers, are there any other things that anyone feels are worthwhile moves to move onto after the basics?

eykanalSILVER Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
You'll definitely want to work on stalls as well. Those are a crucial component of lots of routines, and they'll help make transitions between moves much easier.

GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
I have done some basic stalls and I like using them to move between weaves and butterflies etc, but my repatoire seems small, but thanks Eykanal as I need to improve them!

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
Hip reels, butterfly reels, crossers, meltdowns and then variations which are a big part of poi such as float weave, archer weave. i have a small repertoire but if you look at all the variations its quite sizable

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, FLOWERS! Give you a large range of movement. Turning with everything you can do. Doing many different types of stalls cleanly. Waistwraps, under the legs, and meltdowns are big concepts. Crossers, wraps are always nice to know, mostly spiral wrap is a great fun one.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the suggestions, I have to remember to work all moves forward and reverse, I have a bit of a tendency to learn either a move in forward or reverse then forget to learn it the other way!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
My suggestion would be flowers and reels. Also, make sure you can move into and out of everything smoothly.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
ISOLATIONS!!!!!! They are freaking unreal and you will probably need a good month of steady practice to get them good.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yup, tis true. Isolations are one of my favorites smile Isolated buzzsaw took forever to get good, it looks so cool grin With isolations, you just give everything a look that it's floating with no real attachment to anything. That is, with fire, not socks.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
Heh I love isolations too, strange that I could isolate a buzzsaw before I could do buzzsaw proper, but then I could do a btb butterfly before I could three beat weave. I just find it facinating how one person can find one move easy and another difficult and a friend can find the opposite!