Forums > Meet Others > Canberra Twirling Groups?

Login/Join to Participate

Cool SamwiseBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Helloo everyone,

Im a Sydney twirler (poi mainly, bit of hoop and staff) who is finding herself having to move to Canberra next year (2010) for uni and was wondering if anyone knows of some twirling/circus groups or regular meet ups in our fair country's capital?

Please help me people! Im trying to compile a list of why moving to Canberra from Sydney won't be as painful as I fear it will be!

Cheers all, please save me!!
Sam

*Geo*SILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
apart from the cold weather in winter, canberra is not nearly as bad as people would have you believe. And if you really need to spend time in sydney, you can drive there in 2.5 hours. Tho the snow and the sth coast beaches are equal distances away so...
I don't know if there are regular meets but people used to gather on a friday evening at the chess board in Garema Place to spin. But like most uni's, I bet if you started spinning poi on one of the lawns you would find other spinners pretty quickly smile

gerardoGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Cool Samwise,

I live in Canberra and was just wondering the exact same thing. When I googled Canberra poi I found this thread.

I know there are/were some guys with fire staff and poi in Garema Place - don't know if they still do it, haven't been in Civic on a Friday night for a while. Don't know if they're a group as such or just some friends.

If there isn't a group, maybe we can start one. I would love to meet up with other interested people and practice, share moves, and introduce other people to poi.

One really good thing about Canberra is there are so many lovely parks to practice in. What month are you coming? Do you know where you'll be living (north, south, etc - no need to be specific)?

Cool SamwiseBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I just remembered that I posted this tongue2 So clever am I.

Im moving to canberra mid Feb, probably around the 17th. Location atm is uncertain, but hopefully on the ANU campus (because Im lazy and dont want to have to travel when the only reason im in canberra really is to do my Masters degree.

It would be awesome to start some kind of meet up if there isnt one already. I now have a fire hoop to add to my repetoire of fire fun. As well as led poi and my prized possession- my led hoop. (love love LOVE!)

Anyways, lemme know! Where bouts you located in Canberra? And where the hell is Garema place?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
There is a facebook group for canberra fire twirlers
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=ts&gid=165535498376

Thats listed in the Global Fire Guide
https://apps.facebook.com/globalfireguide

Theres recent discussion around a fire meets on the discussion board for that group

smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

gerardoGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Nice work posting the links ben-ja-men. I just found them myself the other day. Well it looks like a Canberra group is getting itself together. We met up in Glebe Park (not far from ANU) on Thursday night, and are doing it again this Thursday, and hopefully regularly after that. Check out the Facebook group! And how good is the Global Fire Guide? That's how I found the Canberra Fire Twirlers on Facebook. Hope to see you soon Cool Samwise.

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
hehe just thinking what a happy little story this is ubbrollsmile

Thanks Benja for the global fire guide and being totally awesome!! grin
thankx

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Kylie YatesBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Does anyone know the name of the LED poi twirler who performed at Jazida's Decadence and Debauchery at The Abbey last year? And how do I get in contact with him? I'm interested in hiring him to perform.