Forums > Other Toys > My Poi Design... feedback?

Login/Join to Participate

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
This is My concept for balanced 'handles' [pedlelum] poi(based on flowtoys handles and Henrys glowstick poi).

>>> Ande's Design <<<

When using Orange 'Ultras' (a type of glowstick that is SUPER bright) the effects should be similar to holding fire in your hands while spinning. The holder for the glowstick is steel (with plexiglass tubing).

hopefully the weight of the glowstick and holder will be almost exact to the weight of a fueled-up fire snake.

just slip the wrap over your wrist for safety and spin away.

Also, you could very possibly do string manipulations very similar to glowstringing because of the shape of the snakes.

*Note: this is just a concept, has not been made yet. Feel free to make them, or improve on the idea. Tell me what you think.

Areas of concern:
Asthetics, safety, versatility, unqiquness, practicality.

qwertycoderBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
that is really cool i was thinking of something along these lines but with 76 mm contact balls as the handles, these balls are great you can make a 2 inch slit in the bottoms and shove an led taped too 2032 batteries in the slit for a lit counterwieghted handle that looks great and is functional for tossing.

AranorGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
That looks sweet! But general advice that helped me is t try using another type of chain with swivels on each end. That way orbitals would be super easy.

And instead of the cole-cord thing, what about just attaching the tube to the chain/swivel, and hand loading it from the back, and closing it off with a screw on cap that's attached to the wrist wrap. So, the wrist wrap is the cap for the tube.

Only real issue I see is the durability of the tubing...but I really have no idea what that's like. But otherwise it looks awesome. Maybe a way to detach the poi heads and use different heads?

PhatRobSILVER Member
Nocturnal Arts
2 posts

Posted:
I love it...I want to try to put together a set. Any luck as far as coming up with materials the right size/weight thus far?

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
At first I was wondering why you would want tubing for glowsticks, but then thought how the extra weight would be great, also, with your design you wouldn't need to mess with tying a glowstick onto cords or shoeleaces, some sticks have different sized holes and its a pain with different cords, so I actually do see a really good use for it. My only question would be if the case stayed pretty firm over the glowstick and didn't slide around or shift during using it, or even during transport. With no end cap I could see how just maybe the sleeve would shift, and if the glowstick came out enough it could unhook from the hook on the cord, causing you to lose a stick. (Does that all make sense... on pain meds here and may not be making the best sense, lol)

But honestly I really like the idea a lot and would probably buy that design once finalized smile

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
sounds good have you had any progress as of yet?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Have you seen the effects of glow sticks on Polycarbonate??

Something about either the wavelengths of light, or gasses emmited severely weakens polycarbonate (a.k.a Lexan) to the point of shattering without any form of trauma over time.

Have not tested with standard acyrlic but the long term result may be the same...

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
esters from the glowstick reaction can degrade polycarbonate badly, they'll crack and shatter without warning.

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
finally, science has the answer.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
What is science?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Why would the esters escape the glowstick tube to get in contact with the Polycarb? I have just as hard time imagining that the lightwaves are doing that much damage either, I'm pretty sure glowsticks are pretty middle of the spectrum, nothing too high frequency. Anyone care to offer any peer reviewed papers on the subject?

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
OMGWANT

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
ask flowtoys, it's on their disclaimer page as they use polycarbonate in pretty much everything

'REGULAR MAINTENANCE: Maintain this product with care. Store this product in a clean, dry environment. Avoid exposure to sunlight, as UV rays compromise the integrity of all plastics.

DO NOT USE NEAR OR WITH CHEMICAL GLOWSTICKS: Do not put chemical glowsticks near or into the tubing as the esters from glowsticks will cause the polycarbonate tubing to become brittle and crack.'

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
As an a-level chemistry student the only thing i can think of is if the polycarbonate had certain types of bonds present (non-polar) then the prescence of UV light can spilt these bonds forming free radicals. This free radicals are very reactive and can attack the rest of the polycarbonate molecule weakening the chain. As to the esters question i have no idea.

More knowledgeable person feel free to correct my chemistry trying to apply something i have a good understanding of to something i dont

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers