Forums > Help! > Where do I get lamp oil?

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Where can I get lamp oil? I live in Michigan, and the stores near me are Meijer, Big K, Target, WalMart, a hardware store, Dunhams doesn't have it though, and I think that covers it. So, where can I get it and what would be the brand names and pictures of the bottles would be infinately helpful. I want it for my poi, but I used to fire breathe and Dunhams gave me Coleman's when I asked for lamp oil and it came back to my face, and from what I've heard, its not good for poi, so there goes my 1.5-2 gallons of fuel that I have and hate for what it did to my face. But don't worry no scars. grin But please tell me where I can get fuel and what it is called.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can use Coleman's I think. (White Gas?)

But there are a bunch of threads detailing which fuel to use in various countries though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
i was told that using white gas can be dangerous, and if it isnt so dangerous compared to lamp oil, then I have also been told it gives a short burn time. i was thinking of mixing the to for a decent beginners burn time

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
any fuel is dangerous. why are you concerned with your spinning fuel choice while being so lackadaisical with fire breathing?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I think the reason white gas is usually recommended against is because it's pretty volatile compared to something like kerosene or lamp oil. Not bad enough that you'd notice under a lot of temperature/pressure conditions, and I know plenty of people who use the stuff. But nothing will take the place of looking over and understanding an MSDS for yourself.

That said, I don't actually know where to get either lamp oil or kerosene. If you don't find another answer first, I'll try to ask some fire performers I know (most of them prefer the lower volatility fuels).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
For poi, I am more worried about the burn time that I get out of it, and people have told me it's bad to use white gas for idk why. I was thinking about using a mixture for a good beginners burn time. And btw I'm done with this because my mom just magically remembered that you can get it at Home Depot so I'm good.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
FWIW: Tiki/citronella oil is NOT lamp oil

only place i've seen with Kero is Ace hardware

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Try looking at equipment rental stores for kerosene. Places like Pioneer or RSC if you have them. A lot of portable heaters burn kerosene so usually any place that rents them, has the fuel.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Is kersine the same thing as lamp oil?

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Kero is messier than lamp oil. Use lamp oil for poi if you want, both petrolium products, lamp oil is parrafin, like the wax. It is the only thing you should ever use for breathing. White gas has a better burn in my opinion for poi. I think your friends say its bad because if you hit yourself early in the burn it will leave some fire on your clothing. Easily brushed out, but still dangerous.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

2,280 posts

Posted:
what about a mix of lamp oil and white gas, I've heard of ppl using that for poi and firebreathing. What kind of properties does that have?
Edit: What is different about using white gas for poi as opposed to lamp oil? Is it brighter? Louder? Bigger flame? Or just 'cause?
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1258584191)

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
For fire breathing the ONLY fuel you use is lamp oil. I'm not going into the warnings and such, look up the old posts and use your imagination or just take my word for it.

As far as fuel mixtures, its up to you. Lamp oil has a higher flash point. That makes it good for fire breathing because you won't set your face on fire if it trails back. This also means you can put out a torch in a bucket of lamp oil... not something I suggest, but it's something I do to show the difference in fuels when teahcing new people. In relation to poi it means that your prop will light slower and take longer to heat up. It will also leave a greasier mark that's hard to remove should it get on your clothing. That all also means that you get a bit longer burn.

White gas is more volitile due to the naptha in it. This means the vapors will ignite instantly from a heat source or spark. This makes blow backs almost certain for fire breathing. for fire eating the vapors are used for those nifty tricks everyone likes. It will stay lit, so it makes transfers possible. Transfers are bad when the fire transfers to from the poi to your clothing. This usually happens if you hit yourself with a freshly dipped poi. Its the fuel of choice though mainly because it is easier to work with. A blended fuel is a good option. It will light easily like white gas and burn a bit longer because of the lamp oil. Play with ratios, that part is really about preference.

Hope that helps.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I just bought a gallon of lamp oil today at a place called Cash 'n' Carry. It's basically a big food service supply outlet. I don't know what the Midwest equivalent would be. I've also found it before from a small town sporting goods/camping store.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
I get mine from lamp light. Ace.com will ship it for free to a store near you. I live central east coast but I think they have aces or affiliates all over.