Forums > Help! > help I'm running out of ideas

Login/Join to Participate

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
ok guys so heres the deal, this is everything I've taught myself and done that I remember, there may be a few forgotten ones but that doesn't matter. The reason I made this post is cause i'm getting bored and looking for new skills but i can't seem to think of anything that isn't on my "not gonna happen list" without delving into pyrotechnics. I was hoping that a few of you might be able to suggest some new skills, something challenging, mind bending if not breaking. Heres the "not gonna happen list" anything not on it will be considered: sword swallowing, uni-cycling, stilt walking, cross dressing, quad staff(it's just more of what I already do) theres probably a couple of things I'm forgetting but you get the point.
• Staff

- Stalls - Catches
- Slaps - Static contact
- Weaves - Pinwheel contact
- Finger twirling - Rollover contact
- Passes - Aerial contact
- Body wraps - Contact fire spitting
- Throws - Double staff

• Poi

- Stalls -Air wraps
- Butterflies -Isolations
- Buzz saws -Throws
- Weaves -Catches
- Flowers -One hand
- Corkscrews -Quad poi

• Meteor/rope dart

- Stalls -Flowers
- Weaves -Air wraps
- Wind ups -Throws
- Butterflies -Catches
- passes -One hand
- Isolations -Double meteor

Other Props and skills
-Fans - Nun-chuku (single/double)
-Swords - Buugeng
-Flags - Garrote
-Tonfa - Juggling
-Bolas throwing snare - Soccer juggling
-Halberd/Quan do - Fire spitting and eating
-Kama - Tae kwon do, capoiera
Best Achievements

- Fire spitting capoiera -Aerial contact
- Contact fire spitting -Jetty jump fire spitting
- Four poi with four staves

I don't particularly care if you don't believe that I've done any of it, i just want a new challenge.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Mind in particular? Or something like rock-climbing which is more all-round? A lot of that is a mind-game of whether or not you can control yourself in a (moderately) scary environment. So fairly mental, but with a nice physical aspect to it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
well it would help my parkour training and there is a group at south bank, thats an idea thaks, keep em comin guys I learn super fast so i need a small list to start work on
EDITED_BY: burning_ninja (1251725425)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
clubs/juggling

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Acrobatics? Dancing?

Kupo!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Contact juggling.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
sorry guys most of that stuffs covered in the list of things already learnt and well contact and fire spitting are my specialties, any one got any ideas of something they think simply can't be done, some weird illusion that I may not have heard of other than making something dissapear cause thats too easy, I'm looking for mental breakdown kind of challenge

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Fire double dutch skipping wink I thought about it 3 years ago but I'm only now getting into the kind of shape I need. visually probably quite cool and probably suicidally dangerous, will get people going wow.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
with that very long list of stuff you already know, I demand a video wink

anyhow, triple staff contact?
or design your own mega prop and learn some stuff with it

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
if I had the ability to upload videos on here don't you think i already would have and learn to read, triple contact I'm looking for something more original than basic maths I specificly said not four staffs contact meaning i'm already doing contact adding and subtracting staffs doesn't make it a different field. Besides I may have found what I'm looking for, I'm going to use that huge speed advantage I seem to have and run on water, no illusion it'll be a 6'8" ninja runnin over water, any one else think that a 100kg guy running across water would defy the laws of physics
EDITED_BY: burning_ninja (1252033637)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
what Like that Jesus fella in the news a while ago lol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
ah see its already been done

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
tight rope/slack rope/trapeze in general

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
On your hands! Blindfolded!

Kupo!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well there you have it then.

Get a camera, learn how to film and edit videos so your can share your overall awesomeness with us all.

Walking on water/ Nah, Chris Angel did it earlier this year, you need to figure out how to break dance on water.

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
yeah I know it's been done by midgets or regulars which are midgets next to me anyway and chris angel does nothing but illusion I'm talkin a giant running fast enough to travel across water via my own means no illusion and as for a new prop act I've deciced to try for duel nun-chuku and contact so it should look kinda like diabolo's but different oh and as for blind folds I already do that during my contact training and most prop work
EDITED_BY: burning_ninja (1252242599)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well...if Jesus lizards can do it, then I don't see why you can't do it. Seriously though, I get on track with the camera and editing thing, an event like this HAS to be preserved and shared with the world.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Learn to do it all upsidedown.

shocked

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
surely with just Juggling there is so much out there you can't do. Have you seen any of Wes Pedens Videos?

Have you tried any tricks in this video? Wes is very good at abstract composition. try using that to make a prop you are good in completely different. or have you tried stuff with joined parallel double staff like Rob bluecat? that toy looks fun. Buugeng?
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1252405327)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
contact kite flying

seen a good parasol manipulation, and My mate si is the only tent manipulation artist I know.

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Do themed performances: Fire ninja, Masquerade, circus, fairy, pirate. Just have fun playing with what you know!

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Myncicontact kite flying

seen a good parasol manipulation, and My mate si is the only tent manipulation artist I know.

Now that I would like to see. *wanders off to look for some*

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yeah... You know, a good way to buy a camera, so you can film yourself and put your awesomeness up here would be busking, no?

Get to it, I'd like to see what you're working with.

Also yea, don't just know how to do something, redefine what that something is. Like when I first saw contact poi moves, or "sloulder pads" when juggling clubs.

Be creative. B-E creative.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You might have don all this... the part that I personally don't believe is:

Originally Posted By: BNthis is everything I've taught myself

though it is possible - but extremely rare - to have a metaphysical connection to the aether in which all skills are stored.

However

Originally Posted By: BNI don't particularly care if you don't believe that I've done any of it, i just want a new challenge.

apart from the fact that camcorders are fairly cheap these days and - if anything - "other people have them", vids can easily be uploaded on YouTube...
back to topic

how about .... teaching? wink

I mean - if you never ever drawn from (a) community and truly just tapped your very own well - fair enough. But if you accumulated all these skills with the help of tutorials and/or individuals, then it might be time to return or pass on the favor - before next level opens up itself.

wink

just putting this for consideration... call me "moralist"

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
trick concepts is selling quality fire knives and donating half the sale to recently homeless samoans. runs until end of october... sorry for advertizing of HoP but fire knife has a totally different feel than staff does.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
I like the sound of contact kite flying, especially since i've always wanted to string up some kevlar to the back of my friends kite and see how that goes, you might be onto something there thanks

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
why not stripping some kev to your own? wink

(consult an experienced pyrotechnician beforehand)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
See I have all the best ideas! laugh3

ooo numerous kites with burning kevlar string swooping about the night sky in amazing displays, With small children strapped to them raining down on burning parachutes in memory of the blitz, right I'm off to pitch my idea for the olympics opening ceremony for free tickets and mucho cash *runs to london*

I don't think our opening will be as good as the one in my head now..