Forums > Technical Discussion > Antispin weave vs Butterfly weave

Login/Join to Participate

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Butterfly is an antispin when they're parallel to your sides, but if you do the butterfly, would it still *technically* be an antispin weave?

A technical tidbit I want some clarification on because it's biting me.

Thanks!

This statement is false...?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I think you've gotten a little mixed up in your terminology here... antispin is where your arm moves in the opposite direction to your poi.

Does this clear things up?? If not, you'll need to clarify your question a little better.

hug

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Oh, I was under the impression that anti spin is when the pois spin in opposite directions to each other.

Alrighty.

Weave is, in short because I have no other way of explaining it, a figure 8 where the pois cross from one plane to the same plane on your other side.

Opposite spins are when the pois are spinning in opposite directions to one another.

Butterfly, when taken from in front of you to your sides, they are in opposite spins.

Would the butterfly weave, being a weave with opposite spins, be an opposite spin weave?

This statement is false...?

Anthony_LameratoGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I think of a weave sort of like the poi are chasing each other, as do your hands. they make what amounts to identical patters, or at least mirror images.

So if you do a regular butterfly in front of you and separate your hands, you can see that the poi are moving in opposite directions. So yes, i guess you could call the BFW an opposite spin weave, but so what?

But it isn't an antispin weave.

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TideOh, I was under the impression that anti spin is when the pois spin in opposite directions to each other.

Alrighty.

Weave is, in short because I have no other way of explaining it, a figure 8 where the pois cross from one plane to the same plane on your other side.

Opposite spins are when the pois are spinning in opposite directions to one another.

Butterfly, when taken from in front of you to your sides, they are in opposite spins.

Would the butterfly weave, being a weave with opposite spins, be an opposite spin weave?

You could think of it that way, definitely. All butterflies are in opposite motion but not all opposite motion is a butterfly--this mainly happens when you're trying to get the two hands and poi to coexist as close together as possible. You could just as easily do an opposites weave where your hands were a couple poi-lengths apart. To your audience, it would look like you were turning with flowers.

True antispin weaves are both difficult and honestly I don't think that visually impressive. They're essentially buzzsaw antispin flowers in which you move the hand in dominant position to the outside plane. There's a tutorial on how to do it here:

There's no reason it couldn't be possible to do antispin opposites weaves. I've never seen it done, but with a bit of practice, there's nothing much more conceptually difficult about them than there is antispin weaves in same direction.

Peace,
Drex