CrazyMeBRONZE Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
i just got a question, now dont get me wrong i know how important to the saftey of yourself and those around that spinning off is but i got a few guestions, i know the whole spin off bucket thing, anyways i spin staff, and i know u can do the who spin in the bucket thing, but alot of the people i know dont do the bucket thing, the 2 people i learned from fuel up and then light and the throw it in the air horizontaly while its spinning once or twice to get the exesse fuel off. i had my first burn 2 days ago and i did 4 or 5 burns that night but every time i did my friend did the whole throw in air and spin thingy spun for a bit then handed it off to me, i was just wondering about this beacuse the tuesday coming up i am planning on being able to light up and spin off myself and i was just wondering if it really made a differance if you spin off in a bucket or with it lit in the air, i must admit it looks really cool, but idk just dont wanna be doning somthing i dont know anything about so any advice or suggestions? or even just if anyone could tell me how much hotter it is then just the spinning> sorry if it sounds newbish but....better to ask then go into somthing not knowing, thanks guys

Pie Cake Spork Avocado Guacamole Cheese Cake FIRE!

salkaarstranger
7 posts

Posted:
erm
u may think you sound newbish but im a staff spinner myself and ive never heard of a spin off in a bucket?? can you elaborate please it sounds interesting and fun.

your just jelous cos the voices only talk to ME!!!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i think shes means spin off into a bucket before it's lit.

What your talking about is generally (as far as i know) called a burn off. I would not however suggest dipping your staff and doing a burn off without spinning at least some of the fuel off of the wicks. the easiest way to do this is to dip one end of your staff and then let it drip back into the dip can for a little bit, maybe adding in some small shakes. once it's not DRIPPING anymore move away and swing the wet end towards the ground....like if you were sweeping...same motion. dip the other end and repeat. I usually do 3-4 "sweeps" to get a safe amount of fuel for the burn off.

Dont worry about shaking too much fuel off, you really dont need the wick to be super saturated to get the burn off fireballs.

Next....
Burn offs are HOT I'm sure you could feel a dramatic change in temp when your friends did the burn off right? The REAL trick to getting a good burn off is to hold the staff between yer hands, one on top of the other, palms facing each other, then pull back with your top hand so the staff rolls between your fingers. you wanna do this without throwing the staff up try and keep it in front of you. please practice this before it's on fire, just try to get the staff spinning along it's long axis as fast as you can. you may have seen them throw it up as well, but when you do this you lose power in the actual spinning of the staff...if you try it on fire, and it kinda suprises you (it will ;)) just let it drop to the ground, no harm. goodluck

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
and shameless self promo, this was a really good burn off, nice and smooth, notice my hand position and how high the staff goes.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

salkaarstranger
7 posts

Posted:
whoa!
just saw that vid on utube. jesus they look awesome. not quite understanding how you do it tho. u would hav to dumb it down abit for me im not great with the staff terminology yet.

your just jelous cos the voices only talk to ME!!!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
pretty much....you make the staff roll in place really fast

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

CrazyMeBRONZE Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
thanks you guys for your help grin i'll keep everything in mind and hopefully i'll have a vid up after tuesday grin

CrazyMeBRONZE Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
so i did it grin me and my friend stood a few meters apart from each other and did it at the same time, it looked amazing, real crowd pleaser grin all my friends from school were there to so that was a bonus. and ya it was really hot, i ALMOST dropped it beacse i wasnt expecting the spary of fuel in my face XD. first i just got my friend to do it and then passed it to me right away so i could get the feel of when the flames were still big and bright and then within ten minutes i went up and did it myself grin and then again and again and...well..you get the poin XD anywyas thanks everyone and i look forward to this sunday so i can burn again grin

kory_mitcheffSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
u get any vids bro??

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
just remember to check wind direction if burning off wink safety first

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

CrazyMeBRONZE Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
ya wind direction is a tricky one lol. my friends and i went out spinning on friday night down by lake ontario in a park and i went to light up and was facing so the flames would go away from me and then i lit up and the wind shifted and then i had to fidgit around for like 3 minutes trying to figure out the best angel, then i did the burn off and it was like nothing casue most of the fuel was already gone wich was frustrating casue burning off is now one of my favorite parts (expecially when u see urself on video and the fire ball is huge ^_^ ) anyways ya its frustrating with the burn off and wind but once u start spinning wind dosent really effect it to much so it was still a awesome night.

Ohh and interesting thing grin

FLAMING HACKEYSACK grin

My friend JQ actully got a hackeysack made out of kevlar and we played hackeysack and volleyball, probibly stupid idea, but really fun if ur carefull and have a spotter standing by tongue2

Anywyas yeap great weekend grin Spinning Tonight Again at Cherry Beach grin hehehe See you guys later <3