Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, as has been pointed out in the "Is it quieter around here lately?" the boards are kinda dead.

Things really started to turn quiet around April/May of this year and I figured it was just part of the normal cycles that we see here of flurries of activity and then periods of less activity.

It's November and the trend continues. In Social Chat, only six posts were made over a period of four days. I haven't been posting much lately because there haven't been posts to respond to. In seven years as a HoP member, I have never seen anything like it.

Even worse, Josh and Kate were going to have a mini-Doof tomorrow night at their place in my honor and it appears that very few people will be coming. This disappoints me. It means that our community is collapsing and I can't figure out why this is happening.

But more important than the discussion of why is how to fix it. This community was an amazing, active, warm, loving family consisting of tens of thousands of spinners all over the world. I don't think the blame can be placed in the hands of any individual.

Did the community move to Facebook? If so, can we use that to our advantage? Is there something that we can do to make this forum more conducive to gatherings and socialization?

What are your ideas?

And please, if you know someone who has gone silent, encourage them to come back.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
do i smell mob?

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! *grabs pointy farm tool*

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SeksuRobastranger
1 post

Posted:
Hey Doc heres my input,

i used to post here years ago but cant remember my old accounts password, anyway i stopped posting,

there are far too many smug hippies here who are too full of their own s**t, they all like to pretend they are easygoing kool people but they are really just narrowminded, dry f**kers,

thats one reason and maybe the other one is the whole poi fad has come and gone . . hey maybe it will be kool again in a few years, while you are waiting for poi to become kool again enjoy your empty message board you have all helped create peace wave

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Poi is much more than a fad for a lot of the people here. I've met some amazing people here, and I wouldn't have found the community unless I'd looked on here and found it a welcoming place to be. If the egos of one or two forum members are enough to put you off a whole forum you've either undervalued this community significantly or you're one of those objectionable egos.

Become the change you'd like to see in the world (oh Ghandi you clever boy) if hateful useless close-minded posts are bad for the community, one might enquire as to the value of posting one?

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
well said mr joe

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Ye, that was just completely uncalled for...I've been around here for going on 3 yrs, now...and it's very near and dear to my heart, because I've not only made alot of friends here...but as alot of you are aware, I met my future hubby here, also...because of my connections here, I've now traveled to the other side of the world and found a wonderful new home...and while, no, I don't play with poi anymore, meeting the performers here led me to my chosen art form of tribal belly dance...and believe me, I am hooked!!!

There are always gonna be 'transient' members on HoP, but it's the ones that stick around, even if they don't come around all the time, that are the ones that are worth even worrying about.

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I just checked to see if I'd commented already, apparently not... if I missed my own older comment please ignore!

As one of the culprits who's posted much less recently... to begin with I'm not playing with poi much anymore. That's mostly to do with changes in my life, moving a lot etc.

I was never much one for the techy forums - I looked there when I wanted to learn a move, but apart from giving the odd bit of advice to n00bs I never felt I had much to contribute there.

As for the discussions, I grew tired of it, to be honest. There was too much b!tching for my taste, all the old skool vs n00bs, let's blame member XYZ for something that actually at lest 10 people were involved in, seniors lounge and the resulting catfights just put me off. I'm aware that this happens on most boards, and anywhere on the internet, but that doesn't mean I have to hang around and watch. I tried saying my opinion and making suggestions at the time, but felt that I and some other members (stout and kathain spring to mind) who were trying to go the same route were ignored or talked to in a way that again wasn't anything I'd spend my free time on.

And I was extremely unimpressed with the way n00bs were talked down to frequently by senior members - as I said at the time, if people had treated me like that when I was new I would've deleted my account straight away. Maybe it's the way with a board full of people who feel strongly about stuff, but it was usually very hard to see a discussion that was involved and not moving into being condescending towards some participants.

So now I'm checking the meetups every now and then, I'm still up for the odd festie or meeting the people I've made friends with over the years, and I'm hoping to meet some of you on my world tour. I might be back more at some point in the future, it's not like I'm "ewww HoP sucks" now. Maybe a bit of over-saturation, too, I did post way too much for a while.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Not to promote anything here, but I belong to a forum called "ar15armory." As you can guess it is a forum about guns, however I have never posted there without receiving a reply in literally 5 minutes, the community is *very* vibrant! I attribute it to the diversity of forums, obviously it's about guns, and I know half of you hate them, but take a look: https://www.ar15armory.com
the forums there are very diverse from funnies to cooking to politics. Maybe home of poi needs a few more forum areas to spark interest in things, I don't know.

Human

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
or become more popular than firearms?

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
the 28th amendment: A man has the right to spin Poi...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: doppelGangerOriginally Posted By: Mr MajestikOriginally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_Dog
Keep on the good fight guys! grin

heyyyy chilllll-dren, its THREE DAWG!!!!!

Bahahaha, nuclear wasteland. smile

Hey everybody did the news get around of a guy named Butcher Pete!

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: BrennOriginally Posted By: doppelGangerOriginally Posted By: Mr Majestik[quote=Fine_Rabid_Dog]
Keep on the good fight guys! grin

heyyyy chilllll-dren, its THREE DAWG!!!!!

Bahahaha, nuclear wasteland. smile

Hey everybody did the news get around of a guy named Butcher Pete!
[/quote]

huh?

btw i found dad and completed the main quest over the weekend. was fun, but so short! and agreed, rediculous ending.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikor become more popular than firearms?

Wouldn't that be nice?...

*this is the opinion of a corn-fed, Carolina farm girl...turned hippie* peace

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikor become more popular than firearms?

Yeah that could be as well, but the members there don't die off, they stay and talk for whatever reason, and a lot of the posts have nothing to do with guns. shrug

Human

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Hi doppleganger, I had a look at the site you mention, and yes it seems very active.

I didn't have time to look around too much, but just wondered, and you may not know, how long has the site been going for? Cause I sometimes wonder if the HoP BB slowish sort of death might because it's old? old

or not so much old, but been around a long time, and newer shinier things are now taking people away from hop?

I also wonder about (completely unfounded in fact) the number of members here who now run their own sites and forums and therefore no longer just come here to 'hang out', they have a new home of poi so to speak...

/ah well, I'm just rambling and avoiding work.... soapbox

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
In other news..
Matt made a post on Spherculism talking about a change in the site.. huzzah!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If we were to compare my posting habits of now with those of about 6 months ago you'd see a massive difference... 6 months ago I was posting pretty much exclusively in the technical section, now I drift ever more toward the social section, mostly because theres not a whole lot of activity in the technical section.

Anyone know about why this might be??

hug

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

I'll just leave this here...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
That thread is a great thread. A proper old school thread that even has Cantus in it! I LIKE that thread. It made me laugh and everything.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

10,530 posts

Posted:
Don't get me wrong, its full of some lulz... but with talk of flame wars and suchlike?

BOund to scare of newbs if you ask me.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
TBF FRD, your sig is pretty scary to newbs too smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
whereas I've been wanting to have an online laser gun war because of yours... *ducks behind horse and cart* pew! pew!

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_DogDon't get me wrong, its full of some lulz... but with talk of flame wars and suchlike?

BOund to scare of newbs if you ask me.

Well to my mind, newbs who come flaming in like t.r.o.l.l.s with wild accusations of robbery, who are given some helpful advice from members and a full and decent answer from the head of the whole thing within 6 hours, have been treated quite well. If this person wants to 'belong' apart from not buying something then mouthing off in such an out of order way, they could apologise, contribute something positive, say something witty and/or otherwise act like someone you'd want to have around.

I'm not finding anything much positive in this woe is me the boards are quiet business. So what if the boards are quiet! Technical text has been long supplanted by acres of helpful vids here there and everywhere. A whole swodge of people have gone onto other pursuits, like getting married and earning livings etc, Facebook rules the world and meanwhile there is still a manageable community here with minimum of what I remember as pages of bounciesand threads about dross like tv shows.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: newgabeWell to my mind, newbs who come flaming in like t.r.o.l.l.s with wild accusations of robbery, who are given some helpful advice from members and a full and decent answer from the head of the whole thing within 6 hours, have been treated quite well. If this person wants to 'belong' apart from not buying something then mouthing off in such an out of order way, they could apologise, contribute something positive, say something witty and/or otherwise act like someone you'd want to have around.

Fair 'nuff. smile I remember one episode with a certain Cough and a huge chunk of bunary code. That was an epic win, and most unpleasentness seemed to stop after that. grin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SeksuRobaHey Doc heres my input,

there are far too many smug hippies here who are too full of their own s**t, they all like to pretend they are easygoing kool people but they are really just narrowminded, dry f**kers,

thats one reason and maybe the other one is the whole poi fad has come and gone

You make it seem as if hippies are the only ones who spin poi. They aren't.

Hippies are humans just like other groups and sub-cultures. And within any human sub-culture, whether it's hippies, punk rockers, gays, burners, white supremacists, Southern Baptists, or birdwatchers, there are going to be people you don't like and who are ego cases, stress cases, and full-on nutjobs. Unfortunately, idiots are a large and powerful tribe with a vast influence on human affairs. Heck, the last 8 years have even seen one in the White House!

So I don't think that's it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Doc: Birdwatchers are not really watching birds you know. They are making you think that while they observe humanity in preparation for the invasion of their alien overlords....

For the rest, I agree.

Originally Posted By: MNSIf we were to compare my posting habits of now with those of about 6 months ago you'd see a massive difference... 6 months ago I was posting pretty much exclusively in the technical section, now I drift ever more toward the social section, mostly because theres not a whole lot of activity in the technical section.

Anyone know about why this might be??

More videos?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonDoc: Birdwatchers are not really watching birds you know. They are making you think that while they observe humanity in preparation for the invasion of their alien overlords....

Curses, they're on to us! Fortunately, it sounds like our secret bird-attack training sessions have gone unnoticed.. so next time he goes outside the problem will be solved.. wink

I agree about the 'more videos' comment by the way, though it does seem odd that at a time when the number on vidoes online is increasing so rapidly, less seem to be making it to HoP.. I also spend time on www.contactjuggling.org and there the video section seems to be one of the most active.. here its one of the quieter areas..
EDITED_BY: hamamelis (1232220352)
EDIT_REASON: posting nonsense.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I quite like discussion around videos and I'll try to put videos up with my discussion posts... perhaps if the regular discussion areas had more visual aids we would be more likely to discuss the concepts there?

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
WOW !!!! 69 posts in discussion over the last 24 hours...just like the 'old days"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
haha

save home of poi: mission accomplished!

EDIT *mission accomplished, ala bush's "mission accomplished" celebration after the initial invasion of iraq* laugh3
EDITED_BY: Mr Majestik (1232355027)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: hamamelisOriginally Posted By: astonDoc: Birdwatchers are not really watching birds you know. They are making you think that while they observe humanity in preparation for the invasion of their alien overlords....

Curses, they're on to us! Fortunately, it sounds like our secret bird-attack training sessions have gone unnoticed.. so next time he goes outside the problem will be solved.. wink

Ha! Too bad for you that I never go outside. And when I do I have poi to beat birds off with.

Originally Posted By: hamamelis I agree about the 'more videos' comment by the way, though it does seem odd that at a time when the number on vidoes online is increasing so rapidly, less seem to be making it to HoP.. I also spend time on www.contactjuggling.org and there the video section seems to be one of the most active.. here its one of the quieter areas..

Interesting observation. Will need to think about that one....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: ...