Forums > Technical Discussion > I need a good video editing program

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I did a search, and didn't find anything so sorry if it's been repeated.
I remember hearing about a video editing program where you can change the exposure during the movie to make the trails longer.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Define good...

I think that Windows Movie Maker is quite a good one as it is easy to use and has almost all the features of other ones.

Windows Movie Maker 2 comes automatically with Windows XP.
actually WMM1 comes automatically, you have to update to WMM2.

Devil - Dmember
72 posts

Posted:
On my school I use Stormedit, it's a nice edit program!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
adobe premiere is simple enough.. you just have to figure out compression settings.

make movie is crap... batch creation is far a better way to control your output settings.

get a copy *illegally* and get a crack for it. its worth it in the long run.

If you can get your head around transparency layers you can have heaps of fun... also using it in conjunction with flash or swish and photoshop you can put any thing together oh and you have after effects too by adobe.

WMM 1 or 2 is ok... i use them all in conjunction with each other to create my desired effects in each video i make.

normally WMM2 for simpler stuff then export to premiere to tweak... and batch all my files together.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bender said he'd send me premiere once.

but then someone hugged him a bit too hard and the thought just clean popped out of his head - landed in a cup of tomato soup i heard.

it was never seen again...

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'v got it...

it would be against the law for me to send it to anyone though.

so pm me your email address so that we may discuss the matter further.

Love is the law.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I would say don't use Windows Movie Maker 2 at all.

It won't let you export to anything other than WMV or use anything else to edit them.

Anything by Adobe or Apple is worth PAYING for! As in, with money...

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym (Previously Toyer90)

I would say don't use Windows Movie Maker 2 at all.

It won't let you export to anything other than WMV or use anything else to edit them.

Anything by Adobe or Apple is worth PAYING for! As in, with money...

yes it does... your just exporting wrongly!

if you wish to then take a video that you have made in WMM 1 or 2... make your file as DV the largest setting as you can and it will return as a saved video in AVI format, if you make movie using save file as 512mb broadband... then its going to be WMV file.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Oh right, I was wrong then.

I still wouldn't use it, but seeing as the recommendations seems to be that or stealing somthing, go for WMM!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
why wouldnt you use it?.. i'd prefer not to out put to WMV but to make videos... how much simpler could it be? drag/drop/cut/edit/make, butthen again same goes for premiere or director you just have so many more options as standard with them, i have some unicycling videos made in WMM that i worship with my heart, you can make good stuff with free software, not allways some thing with a $400 price tag will do what you want.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't use it because I use Finalcut Pro on my Powerbook - thats the only reason. I like the was it works over WMM. Don't get me wrong, Free softwre vs. £400 is good, but not if you don't like the way it works / have something better anyway.

I should have said "I still wouldn't use it now I know it can export AVI because I like to use something else"

smile

Luminous SoulsGOLD Member
36 posts

Posted:
i like avid express smile

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
cool... ia ma gonna try wmv now... hmm its 2am.. i could be up for a few hours again... better get another baileys going...

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
it seems like my vids are all quick time movies and i canna put them on windows movie player... doh... probably doing something simple wrong.... any help welcome smile

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
what program are you using kev?.. you can import quicktime files in premiere and then batch process them to other formats. you can use premiere to create any format you like.

process for this would be:

open file in premiere | Drag clip to time line | "edit if needed" | Save project | Click on project in the menu bar and go down to utilities and select "batch process" | Browse to your saved project | select here your configuration for output [remember that audio doesnt have to be large!, that is where people make huge files that are unnesasarily large] you will have a list of codecs installed in video settings ie: divX5.1 or use WMV what ever your preference. | Save your settings so that you can use them again! | Then hit create files.... the best thing about this is that to save much time you can play around and create different settings and save them... add the same project again or any others that you have made and havnt processed yet and run them all at once, say if your off to work you can leave the files running so they will be done when you get home!.

hope that helps in some way to any one.

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
Okay so here's my two cents...

I do a lot of extreme photography and videos on a semi-professional basis, and through a lot of experimentation I've found that one of the best programs I've come across is "Pinnacle 9."

I'll be the first to admit that there are a few problems and things that make it less than ideal but for ease of editing, uploading, downloading etc. it's one of my favourite programmes to edit with.

It's a good balance between a quality finish and simplicity. The final product you become capable of making is absolutely incredible!! bounce

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ok so heres my opinion, pinnacle is shite!!!! full stop, once you have captured any kind of footage in pinnacle it is rendered usless!!!!.... it does not save media that you can export to other programs!... why?? cos its poo.
pinnacle warez are all the same... big ass files, taking up the whole of your HDD for no real reason too. they come with transitions etc, that you then have to pay for!... nothing for free with pinacle.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I have 'Presto! VideoWorks 4.5' which is poo. Ok..well its not poo i just can't figure out how to use it properly yet.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I've used a few programs and i can say the all round best for standard editing is Adobe Premiere, 6.5 is pretty good, if your very nice i could send you a copy, PM me, all legally of course smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
Written by: pk ....:™

ok so heres my opinion, pinnacle is shite!!!! full stop, once you have captured any kind of footage in pinnacle it is rendered usless!!!!.... it does not save media that you can export to other programs!...

Points taken, to be honest though I've never had to export any files so I wouldn't know any better.

But I guess that highlights that there are a whole number of programmes you can use, it just depends on what you'll be using ir for and what works best for you biggrin biggrin

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gri-gri

But I guess that highlights that there are a whole number of programmes you can use, it just depends on what you'll be using ir for and what works best for you biggrin biggrin

sorry dude, reads like i was ranting at you!, i wasnt, my appologies.. i was ranting at pinnacle and the lengthy uninstallment you have to go through manually removing registry keys and folders from all over your hdd that pinnacle softwares hide.
It is always good to have a program that you can use in relation with another, another peice of ware that is guilty of this is windows own WMV format.. you can not play aroun with them once exported in that codec, which is where a good knowledge of other programs is usefull and what you can do with each of them.

Maybe i will do another video in a few weeks time, i will do some filming in Pisa and Roma next week, i really wanna do another unicycling video but i'm saving that for another occassion.

I'll see what i can produce from Flash | WMM2 | Premiere | Photoshop all rolled into one new video... no promises though...

gri-gri, do you have any videos of yourself?, you like like you have some mad skills!.. you SA guys are crazy.. well all the ones i have met were... but gentle souls at heart.

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
biggrin don't worry, I didn't think it was ranting at all!! Luckily the thinnest part of my skin is 18 inches ubblol

As for vids, I've got a few crazy (aka STOOPID) things on tape. Such as the Aerosol burn featured on my avatar (Don't try it! One of the stoopidest things I've ever done, I'm lucky I didn't kill myself...again...)

But I'm pretty excited, I'm doing a New Years Eve performance, and I'm gonna do some contact juggling with a kevlar monkey fist... Hopefully that should be good!!!

(Oh and I've got quite a bit of extreme footage, skydiving, bungee etc)

What kind of vids do you do? You seem to be pretty knowledgabl in the field...

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
adobe premiere is awesome if u know how to use all the effects, probably does everything u need it to do

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
oh as for making trails in that it depends how good the frame rate is on ur camera then use something like ghosting effects

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
[edit] use Sony Vegas wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245675596)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FlambalOlekstranger
14 posts

Posted:
Hi everybody :-)

I´m using MAGIX Video deluxe 15 Plus. I really love this programm, I´s easy to use and has all you need on a semi professional level. It comes with 99 layers ( don´t know the right word - where you can arrange parallel video and audio ) - I don´t need that much, but am using more an more - up to 8 in my last video.

sunshine :-)

Enjoy :-) Flambal Olek Feuershow