Forums > Social Discussion > 2012 solar superstorm - doomsday predicition by NASA

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well, many might have heard of "2012 the end of the Mayan calendar" and that the world is coming to an end due to that...

personally i cannot see any connection between the end of a calendar and the end of the world, which conveniently coincides with new years eve, or solstice or whatever - according to some "New Agies"...

however, now NASA scientists have come up with a new(ish) thing that might be of interest and fuel the craze and paranoia (mind yoUS - stockpile fast and high):

article on NASA website

I mean "a new govenment study - check it out, the surface of the sun, a .... of plasma..." (sigh)

reminds me of "what the *&%$ is ooozing out of our grounds?"

raising the question: "what" - really WHAT "do they put into our water supplies?"

Originally Posted By: NASA(...)Once in a while--exactly when scientists still cannot predict--an event occurs on the surface of the Sun that releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of a solar flare or a coronal mass ejection, an explosive burst of very hot, electrified gases with a mass that can surpass that of Mount Everest.(...)

"The question I get asked most often is, 'Could a perfect space storm happen again, and when?'" added Tsurutani. "I tell people it could, and it could very well be even more intense than what transpired in 1859. As for when, we simply do not know," he said.(...)

so it might happen in 2012 - it might happen tomorrow - it might happen NEVER IN OUR LIFETIME... we don't know and personally i find it futile to predict doomsday....

however the true meaning of this message is (to me)

live NOW, strive to be happy, don't waste your time on bad vibes, review unpleasant friend/relationships and foremost:

only because it's on TV or in the news it's not automatically fact... some people would do *anything* for airtime on Foxnews

hug

have a joyous day...

peace

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245206630)
EDIT_REASON: what do they put into our water supplies?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

gilimnewbie
37 posts

Posted:
December 23rd, 2012 is the end of the 4th or the 5th age in the Mayan calendar ... can't remember which.

What that means is that the current sun god of the Mayan pantheon will step down and a new sun god will rule over the next cycle. Tezcatlipoca is a sun god from a previous age, now lives outside the light as a stalking god of darkness.

According to legend, the end of an age is a violent affair, worlds in upheaval and mass death.

Things to keep in mind:

There are three remaining Mayan texts, the other 10000 odd were systematically destroyed by a particularly zealous christian priest, with help from conquistadors etc. What the end of the cycle actually meant to them is therefore speculation.

The Mayan time keeping technology was more accurate than western methods up until we invented atomic clocks 50 odd years ago. From this we can presume that their calendar is very important to them, but that they were not particularly apocalyptic about it, since the end of the calendar wasn't listed as 'sometime in the next 5 years unless you vote me as high priest at the next election'.

The Mayan's did dissolve as a society, it was likely due to famine and disease cause by actions they undertook, just as we are more likely to be brought down by our own actions.

my thoughts
-sam

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
thanks sam, always thought that the calendar itself was not written past that date itself... for whatever reason... maybe they went for a beer and never had the chance to come back to it...

amongst theories about the Mayan society dissolving is one that describes a great draught that lasted longer than the sacrifices - where in the end, in an uproar of the peasants, the priest cast itself got sacrificed.

isn't the mayan time keeping technology more accurate than the gregorian due it's orientation to the moon cycle of 28 days/ month with one "day out of time" a year for adjustment?

However, many speculations about what is going to happen in 2012... looking forward to it.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I wonder if that guy has a new book out or he needs a boost to his radio show listeners!

I think predicting the sun will do something big years into the future is would be a pretty stupid thing to do, if only people had long enough memories to remind you of your claims once they'd not come to pass. Instead you get to feel famous for five minutes.

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Has anyone read Manda Scott's "The Crystal Skull"?

She wrote the Boudicca series of books which were excellent and this new one (released last year) is based around the End Days/Mayan Calendar thing!! Very well written too! It joins the Arthur C Clarke Crystal Skulls to the 2012 stuff quite nicely! smile

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Upsetting scaremongering.

Yes - it is possible that a huge flare will happen to be in alignment with earth (or America as that is apparently the only part of the planet that viewers of Fox acknowledge exists). It is possible at any time of high solar activity that such an event could occur. It hasn't for over 100 years though.

Yes - it would cause enormous damage to the electrical grid and sattelite communications. We do need to take this into account and plan for such an event. Should we (as Kaku thinks) be losing sleep over it though?

Where are the figures? What is the actual risk in the immediate future?

Tabloid journalism backed up by a name that many people will have heard of is a dangerous combination.

Between this and the recent "Mars could crash into the Earth" (https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8093962.stm) story people could easily believe that the solar system is primed to collapse at any moment.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm afraid we'll have a lot more of this in the next 3 years...

Haven't been reading the book, sorry Bear... is it really "end of days" already?

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
It's got that end of days theme to it!! smile Well worth a read!! Manda Scott is a pretty good writer imho!! The Boudica series she wrote was great! smile

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Get ready for a dystopian wasteland!!!! WHOOOO HOOOO!!!

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I've been reading "The last beach" of Nevil Shute... seems every generation or period has their own doomies ;o)

get wasted for wastelands...

but really there is something good in it...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I hope this doesn't give Roland Emmerich any more ideas for crappy disaster films.

Oh wait....

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Bear1970It joins the Arthur C Clarke Crystal Skulls to the 2012 stuff quite nicely! smile

Which is reassuring: the skulls, often described as profound mysteries with magical powers, are fake. I believe there was analysis of them and it was found they were machined no more than 200 years ago. Therefore linking the two in a work of fiction safely makes 2012 made up mumbo jumbo as well. Case closed wink

I'm going to sleep easy like it's 1999!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
^^^lol smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
the good thing is that it acts as a remainder:

Here is the place and now is the time smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Slightly on topic: New 2012 Prediction

FireTomStargazer