proJEXISstranger
3 posts

Posted:
hello out there!!! im REALLY new to spinning and ive recently fell in love with the rope dart. i was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to make a practice one so i can get better at it. i know literally nothing about how long it should be or what works best for makeing one. can you help a newbie out????

let not the sins of our past burden us through our futures...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Monkeyfist knot in long, soft rope can work well enough.

MisguidedOracle had a really good, relatively cheap home made rope dart, I was going to make one but I forgot how it was made exactly.

hug

proJEXISstranger
3 posts

Posted:
sweet, thanks a lot. how long of a rope would be good to start with?
EDITED_BY: proJEXIS (1240712010)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I personally couldnt tell you, I'm sure if you do a search you could come up with the info, but if I was going to do it I'd say the longer the better so you can let it really fly out on the strikes, you can make it shorter easily, but you can't make it longer.

Make sure you factor in amount of rope the knot will take up when you're buying the rope.

hug

proJEXISstranger
3 posts

Posted:
alright awesome, thanks again you really helped me out =D

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
CLICK ME

The HoP Store has a great rope dart... Great price... I have one and its great =D

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

*Geo*SILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
Hey proJEXIS!
I like my rope dart to be long enough that when you stretch your arms out to the side holding the rope in your hands, the head (or dart) just touches the ground.

As for making one, you should use cotton or hemp rope as it minimises any rope burn. Tho, until the rope is well worn in, I would advise using a glove on your right hand (or left if you are left handed). I use 8mm cotton rope which you can pick up from a hardware store. And don't forget to tie a loop in the end of the rope for your left hand so that you don't accidentially let the whole thing fly off at a million miles an hour.

For the actual dart, everyone has their preference. I know some people who string 3 tennis balls together. I've always used a monkeyfist knot using 1/2inch rope around a 45mm wooden core so that my practice dart is the same as my fire dart. however it is pretty heavy and can do some damage. Anything with a bit of weight will work tho. Try a few different things out tho and see what you like.

hope that helps a bit. let me know if you want any more info on playing with rope darts smile

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Weight is good to have at the end of the rope; it helps carry the momentum and allows you to go slower (important in the beginning).

I like the 12 feet of the HoP rope dart. The one I practiced with was somewhere around 8 feet and I found that unsatisfying. Some times the 12 feet feels like a little more than I need, so experiment. It isn't like staff or poi where you could be physically limited from some moves depending on length, it just changes the amount of excess you hold and how far you can shoot it.

Keep in mind it WILL hit you, so you might want to make sure weight isn't too hard.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MRC It isn't like staff or poi where you could be physically limited from some moves depending on length

I don't do rope dart but wouldn't it be true to say that a lack of length can be limiting in that it may well make your movements more jerky on some strikes, since you have to pull it back in earlier, might also make movements more rushed? ^_^

hug

hug

*Geo*SILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
yeah, you definitely don't want a short rope. but just like poi, the length you have it is personal preference. mine would be around 12 feet (3.7 metres for non-north americans) long but a taller person would probably want something longer while a shorter person may want a shorter rope so they don't have so much slack.