Forums > Social Chat > OLD HOP HEADS V.S NEW HOP HEADS

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
this is where the old heads come to laugh about the move/moves they had trouble with as a newbie. just thought the subject was perfect remember the FIRE VS glowsticks threads. LMAO... anyway, I remember bashing the shyt out of my shins and my head with a BTB weave. I remember only being able to do the butterfly for a few beats, I remember thinking WHAT DO YOU MEAN IM ONLY DOING A 4 BEAT WINDMILL, WHY IS IT ONLY 4 BEATS WHEN IM DOING THE EXSACT SAME THING I DO WHEN I DO A 5 BEAT WEAVE. lol ahhh the memories. Im constantly refering people to this site, perfect for poi. well anyway its been nice remembering the past...anyone else got anyhting to add?

-Myst

All you new heads got it easy, i remember when a BTB 5 beat was unheard of, now that most of us can do it, all the old heads learn it alot quicker without the mind barrior.

now advice for a newbie section:

dont try to learn all the technical moves before you learn the basics, cause lets face it, you aint getting any respect if all you can do is a 5 beat weave and you cant even imagine doing a simple butterfly. thats all i gotta say

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh - found the link:
https://groups.msn.com/PoiStaffandallthingsfirey/homeofpoimugshotgallery.msnw

All well and good, you'll need a hotmail account or MSN passport but that's it - well, apart from a photo of yourself.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
bump. Feeling tres nostalgic.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
FYI - the link to Cass's pics doesn't seem relevant any more. Only has (what seems to me to be) pics of a gay couple travelling in Italy.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Why are you feeling nostalgic?

You approaching a birfday or sunfink?

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I remember when they introduced the rule that you had to be registered to post and the only person to complain about it was the guy that had trolled the boards enough to cause it biggrin

HAven't heard from him in ages. I still have his email addy. Maybe i should drop him a line....

Meh

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Haha, time to break out the walking canes and ear hair trimmers for the old skool HoPers. biggrin

Just kidding, I only wish I knew about poi back then. All those years I wasted.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
what a lovely thread! as an almost newbie - i can't believe how many have registered since i did a few months back! - but a definite oldie I totally sympathise with you mtbeer.

But then the buzz i got from just picking up poi for the first time, liking it, learning more, first burn biggrin, being part of the amazing HoP community both virtual and in the flesh is just a kick-start for the rest of my life.

I'm glad I came to it late cos I'd probably have moved on by now if I was younger and reading this thread gives me hope that the BTB weave isn't beyond me if these guys struggled with it not so very long ago. And you old skoolers are so right - get the basics right first - I still find it easier to do a 5beat than a butterfly!

loadsa love to the post-teens hug grouphug

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
really nice reading this thread. i've poked around in the old poi moves threads too and it's hard to believe there was a time not that long ago when people wondered if btb or 5 bt weaves were possible! That just blows my mind. That's one of the things I'm loving about the spinning world, this sense that we're all creating something new together...

spin on beautiful peeps...

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
what's a weave? (bump)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
It's like being on an archaelogical dig, reading this old thread! Wow, Fossils! ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
we newbies have discovered new tricks also. we now have poiggling (bows to devkev) and many other fancy jobbies. fresh blood fresh ideas (and fresh burns and bruises) Wow. old or what.

well done bender this is a great thread to dig up a great way to bring old and new together grouphug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Wow, I saw this and I was like... myst... man i havn't seen that kid in ages, three years now i think... whenever dom came to america....

Crazy times.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

we newbies have discovered new tricks also. we now have poiggling (bows to devkev)

but devkev is oldskool to the bone confused

*makes a cliched passing reference to a detours quote about inventing sh!t and runs off*

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
AT play I heard DEVKEV being referred to as "the responsible sensible looking one who can do everything" ubblol

I'm neither old skool or nu skool.....I must be in middle skool or something! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
group hug everyone grouphug (I remember when there was no group hug smiley and you had to just do this one lots of times hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

... great thread.. well bumped.. but oldskool newbies soapbox blah blah blah. Viva Home of Poi and its old and new members alike.

clap ubblove love you all angel2 devil

and I love the MSN groups mug shots - some of us look SO YOUNG (bovril, me.. and little fluffy napalm fairy.. the picture of innocence) ubblol

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I know Devkev is old skool. but I learned to poiggle before I knew Hop existed. i was just bowing down to him as he's bl00dy good at it. but I think i have stuff he doesn't ...yet. just pointing out class when I see it. and stating newbies don't just learn. they can have a fresh outlook on the whole scene because they havn't found stuff that can't be done...so they try!!

I also have a sloppy Stafapoiggle (poiggling with a staff - see gallery) which i have never seen done...needs work but recon there are lots of disciplines which can be done at the same time without it getting too messy wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
combination tricks do indeed rock smile
sounds to me like you need a rolabola or a unicycle mynci biggrin

kev is like the francis brunn of poi - he just needs a pair of tighter trousers and he's there wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Once a newbie, always a nebwbie *grin*

I remeber when i was shocked to see we were hitting 3000 members... it's nearing five now isn't it?

ubblol theres 23083 total members now smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
*wonders vaguly how many posting members there are hmmmm*

im off to try and do some foot poi

i will be doing foutains by play2

back

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Devkev is fairly nu skool. When i first met him a few years ago at glastonbury he didn't even really know what HoP was. He only joined last year sometime.

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dave in Texas poiggled years ago. He is also the one, as far as I know, who was the first to get a pair of power skips when they were new and poi on those too.

I wonder what happened to him.

So, two years ago I was called Mother Nature in this thread. Makes me wonder who I am now! ubblol

And holy crap...how fast HoP grew if there were only 5 thousand regged in 2003! eek

I'm kinda impressed to see how many old skoolers are still bumping about. This did make me giggle.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
well everyones old skool compared to me. only been juggling a year. and that only about once a week

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
am i classed as old or new lol!

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
im definatly new skool and proud of it smile

more to learn that way tongue

back

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
too true, theres always something new.

*remembers when learning the weave was impossible*

think im middle aged (3years is quite a long time), but newbie here!! wink

You'll find me on the dance floor

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I'd say I'm an old skool spinner while being HoP new skool.

Been spinning weaves for 6 years, and now I've got into poi again I'm happy spinning circles biggrin

I've got a new group hug smiley

Non-Https Image Link

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I sometimes feel older than i am on this place, I know ive only been here since august but everytime i meet ppl, they seem to be like hey YOUR pyrowill, its a bit odd, and likewise they find it odd i cant 5 beat weave, like they expected me to be really at poi or something ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

I sometimes feel older than i am on this place, I know ive only been here since august but everytime i meet ppl, they seem to be like hey YOUR pyrowill, its a bit odd, and likewise they find it odd i cant 5 beat weave, like they expected me to be really at poi or something ubblol

LOL....*nods head in agreement*

I've had some scary moments meeting people from here actually. Not because they were nasty but because they were too enthusiastic that I'm me. It was surreal.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
but pele you are a goddess among Hoppers biggrin

back

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
To be honest, ive nevr considered myself a skooler shrug

Im me, and I spin.... badly. Thats it biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Page: