Forums > Social Discussion > Atheism and agnosticism: A discussion.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The other thread has been hijacked enough so I have created this new one!

[Old link] is the old thread.. it went off topic about halfway through (page 4ish depending on what your settings are like)

The basic discussions so far have been around the questions of...

Is it possible to rule out the existence of a higher power?

as well as a few tangents... I will edit this with more main points if need be.

Here is my latest response!

I don't have time to respond to the full thread right now, but I will respond to Mr. Joes question of

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe What I'm asking basically is why you feel it's important that the possibility of a god is kept open, when to me it seems fundamentally useless or even destructive. What makes it positive for you?

Originally Posted By: simtabecause any right minded atheist would never be 100% about the non-existence of god because that belief makes you as ignorant as religious people.

Precisely!

Evidence is in the fact that I exist... remembering that evidence and proof are completely different things. I am here, therefore something created me, regardless of its nature it was either divine or non divine.

I don't want to close my mind off to any avenue of thought, to do so would be bland.

To make the point again, I am not religious... but I refuse to believe there is no god just as much as I refuse to believe there IS one simply because of a lack of proof to prove either case.

It makes it a lot more fun when I decide to have a ponder... I get to think up wild theories as to our own creation and the potential nature of the being that may have created us.

After reading the rest of the discussion...

On the point of miracles

HE'S HERE!

But on a more serious note...

Originally Posted By: Myncihere are atheists who believe there is no God but hold there is a possibility does this make them agnostic

This is a logical impossibility. If you believe there is no god you can't hold the possibility open, if the possibility is open you believe there probably is no god.

To sum up my overall point I will quote one of the great thinkers of our time...

Originally Posted By: hamamelisWhat evidence is there for a divine creator, that could not be equally well explained by science?

And to rephrase it... What evidence there is for a purely scientific view of creation could also be used for divine creation.

"Physics created everything we know" can be retorted with "Oh yeah? God created physics!"

Oh and...

Originally Posted By: NathanielBut I can't let this lie, battles of definition are important, definition is imperative to communication, and without effective communication, how can we accurately hold such discussions?

I feel like definition can be attained without squabbling over the definitions of just a few words, you can outline a concept without getting a grab on the particular word.

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1237507791)

hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
atheism is a counterculture, without theist religion atheism couldnt exist. understanding this i think its silly to identify yourself by what you dont believe rather than what you do believe.

instead of thinking, 'you know those guys are wrong, i'm going to tell everyone!' i think the atheists focus should be 'hey, we can use a belief in equality and ethics to advance our society! no god needed.'.

as stone has said i think if Atheism continues to focus on telling other religions they are wrong, then really they are no better than the religion they're fighting.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
There is love without god. smile

hug

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Atheism isn't so much a counter culture, I think without religion we'd all be atheists, so is religion not the counter culture? Fighting to make people believe a different way and unfortunately taking the lead...
it takes religion to have the opposite, therefore Atheism would be a privative like cold or dark and seen in much the same way by believers.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

jojodijojostranger
13 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonOriginally Posted By: jojodijojoAs for destructive beliefs, pretty much any belief can be made destructive, even an unerring belief in cake.

The cake is a lie.

I think most of those conversations are quite useful for questioning ones own beliefs, we can throw questions at ourselves and usually end up having a better/slightly different idea, even if we dont come one centimetre closer to someone elses understanding of things.

Yeah, the trick is to know when to pull the plug on the conversation.

I definitely agree that it's good to question just about anything. But the funny thing is that it's the questioning itself that's good for you- it's good to be challenged by other people and to sometimes admit you're wrong to learn something interesting. But sometimes people end up disappearing in a quagmire of semantics fighting to the death, and link it to the survival of their own ego. XD

For the great religion of Cakism, I guess you'd have to consult an arcane and hallowed oracle such as this

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

hug

jojodijojostranger
13 posts

Posted:
laugh3

You're like the Nietzsche of sponge pudding.

EDITED_BY: jojodijojo (1238525451)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I knew I was in the minority

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Portal. Yay!

Personally, I think questioning of pretty much everything is good for you.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: kyle82i am becoming an atheist! lol. nope just didnt have spritual life now. atheism is close to satanism. Atheism ignores the presence of God. Denies it. People wanted an easier life that's why probably they built this theory of atheism. Justify creation first before u can do that!
toshiba computer, psp games

obvious troll is obvious.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestik
obvious troll is obvious.

Notification ftw wink

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikatheism is a counterculture, without theist religion atheism couldnt exist. understanding this i think its silly to identify yourself by what you dont believe rather than what you do believe.

I agree. To me, my identity as an atheist is simply that I don't believe in an organized religion. End of story.

I'll tell you why if you ask, but to me, atheism is something you discover on your own by using your brain. It's not something you preach. As soon as you do that it becomes...a religion.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: