Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
I'm a fire spinner and I'm moving to australia in about two months.
Is it legal to practice with an unlit staff in a public park or something?

Can I spin a bo staff in public? Is that legal?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yes.

as long as you wear pants.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
bojitsu weapons in public? i'd ask the relevant shire for regulations governing that - try not to rely on internet forums for legal or regulatory advice...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
...and hip thrust... suggestively, and repeatedly...

I've never been aware of the legalities of spinning staff, lit or otherwise; I know that it seems to be, at the very least, "decriminalised", as every police officer I've seen while spinning (including fire - they used to drive by our weekly gathering spot all the time) has acknowledged our presence and moved on.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

6,978 posts

Posted:
hey pogo69,
the discretion of individual police officers is practical and welcome acknowledgment of how little trouble we fire folk can be but does should never be confused with anything being totally legal.
If i don't get booked by a police officer when i jaywalk right in front of them, that discretion does not necessarily mean that it is legal to jaywalk - it's simply that that officer was not in the mood to enforce that law.

As practitioners of an art form that involves fuel and fire, we'll always have the responsibility to not give the authorities a reason not to more tightly enforce laws against naked flames pants in public.
b

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
Counties such as Australia seem to be terrified of weapons, So that's why I ask.
I know Aussies who have gotten in trouble with the law for having boots with built in sheaths, even if there was no knife.

I just don't want some lame officers to cuff me up for "using a weapon in public".

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I would say just go do it... but if approached by a police officer, simply be friendly and apologise if you're told its not legal, then you shouldnt be booky book booked. But I'm not one to give legal advise of course. grin

hug

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
Thanks, everyone that responded though.

6,978 posts

Posted:
COME TO MELB. we don't smell*

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Speak for yourself, bender, I have a great sense of smell!

hug

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
the vast majority of police officers in Australia are fairly level headed about justice, not just law. however if you deliberately scare some kids with your bo staff, and their mum rings up the cop who you then mouth off to, well you shouldnt be surprised with they kick your butt. If on the other hand you are quite reasonable, and practise in places where there is very little chance someone might feel unsafe or threatened by you, and its obvious you are pracisting martial arts not just going psycho (eg practise forms in public, and practise aggressive yelling and random shadow sparring in private) then I'm confident you will be ok.

I'm not a lawyer, but this is what I would do and have seen others do with no worries.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Which part of Australia are you moving to?

I can only speak for the state of Victoria, but I have reviewed the prohibited weapons list and staves do not come under the prohibted weapons act, so you won't be booked for being seen with them in public. However, as Pyrolific said if you intimidate others with it then there may be grounds for punishment.

We have had authorities drive past the Melbourne gatherings on Sundays and we share a nod and a friendly wave with them. On occasion they have chatted with us and watched us practice.

But breathe easy smile Just be safe, approachable and use discretion if a public area you decide to twirl in is going to draw unsavoury attention or possibly aggravate people around you smile

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'd be very surprised if you'd get in trouble for practicing with a staff anywhere in the world (but New York City Central Park - and even there), as long as you have no cutting edge on any side of it and don't pose an immediate threat to anyone.

A Bo staff pretty much looks like an ordinary firestaff (at least what I've seen on the net)...

You can't take it in your carry on, but it's nowhere on the prohibited items list - if you want to be sure - like: sure then you should just walk into the next police station and actively speak to the officer in charge - same applies if you happen to spott a cop in the park while practicing.

I found that cops respond well to an open approach and getting treated like ordinary human beings - just with a little more respect, because they are doing what they do...

Even if you would practice "hardcore" (Kia-i included) - most people do figure what you're doing there and are rather curious. Most (to my guess) will regard it as a curiosity and entertainment... This is only from my personal experience - no legal advice.

weavesmiley

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Lextalionisstranger
12 posts

Posted:
I'll be moving to Sydney.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: benderhey pogo69,

If i don't get booked by a police officer when i jaywalk right in front of them, that discretion does not necessarily mean that it is legal to jaywalk - it's simply that that officer was not in the mood to enforce that law.

i've been threatened with a ticket twice for jay walking. i guess its cause both times i just looked left and right, crossed, and they were standing on the other side waiting for the lights laugh3

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I do have the greatest respect for Jaywalkers hug not ready to have my life determined by a traffic light when self-responsibility gets me to the other side safe and sound...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
thats a nice way to put it tom smile

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/summar...22&nohits=y

hope this helps!

I have nunchuka and as long as you have them for "business" or legitimate reasons (i.e. fire troupe) then it's fine.

And staffs aren't on prohibited weapon lists.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
There's no reason why not, though beware of the fire ban thing - it means TOTAL fire ban (including your garden and any private place). If you have black wicks they might ask a few questions about the possibility of you lighting them, so have a staff with fresh wicks for practise (I have one, but it's 'cause I'm too crap to light it)

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
We are nervous of guns, not fire staffs.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
yup yup, guns fire, fire doesnt gun :loco:

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
One thing I did to make my staff look less like a weapon was to paint it in bright colours...that way it looks more like a circus toy or dance prop and it stopped those martial arts guys stopping, judging my style, then announcing "I kick your ass"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomI do have the greatest respect for Jaywalkers hug not ready to have my life determined by a traffic light when self-responsibility gets me to the other side safe and sound...

hear hear Tom clap

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: LextalionisI'll be moving to Sydney.

wooo yeah! recruit!
be my friend!

Sydney spin scene [and alliteration] RIGHT HERE BABY smile
WEVE GOT THE MOVES..

owwwwwh yeeeeah NEW PUN!

'FREE HUGGIES!!'