MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I gained about 25 lbs in residency. Wasn't happy about it at all.

Today I was getting out of the shower and... I have six-pack abs. They're not ready for the underwear ad just yet, but they're there. smile

And, far more importantly, today I busted out 2,000 straight yards on a 1:20/100y interval or faster at swim practice. That's as fast as I've ever trained. Even as a teenager.

A bit of rest and a bit of proper exercise has done me well. I'm excited to see the results in another month. Or two. I might be back in go-go dancing form.

Not that I would...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
well done mike.. youve been working hard smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ouch thats fast dude. was never really a long distance swimmer myself. Im more of a 100 fly and a martini afterward type of guy.

alas havent been in the pool for 3 months now - soooo much hard earned shoulder muscle has been lost. The effort required to get back even to where i was is pretty daunting.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dentrassi
alas havent been in the pool for 3 months now - soooo much hard earned shoulder muscle has been lost. The effort required to get back even to where i was is pretty daunting.

Gotta make it a mandatory part of your day. Show up, make it through the first two weeks. And make it a mandatory part of every single day. Especially if there's a swim team around. And I'm sure there is. www.igla.org can help you out as a start.

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ha! my squad trains 300 metres from where i live so have no excuse... alas - working late hours and too many extra hobbies/interests make it hard to commit to squad.

at present 500cc of throbbing kawasaki between my legs is much more fun smile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dentrassiha! my squad trains 300 metres from where i live so have no excuse... alas - working late hours and too many extra hobbies/interests make it hard to commit to squad.

When it's practice time, you leave work. You go swim. And if you still have work to do, then you go back to work after.

Quote: at present 500cc of throbbing kawasaki between my legs is much more fun smile

I'm just going to leave that comment hanging out there for someone else to use. There are SO many different lewd/snide comments I could make and I just can't pick one. angel

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
So far I joined Dentrassi, but will need to find the right balance - and side Doc.

Swimming might be one of the best options available (as long as you are able to put your head under water) - just swimming in the ocean is not nearly as much fun as in a sweetwater lake.

You're completely right: it should be a mandatory part of my day and it's all about setting priorities- simple... Funny how I chose a corrupted mind over a healthy (if not plain sexy) body. Guess by refocussing on my body, I will also find a way to get my head screwed back on the right way.

OMG I really need to get out of Europe and back to my self...

:phew: Flight to Bangkok booked for Monday bounce2
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1221577088)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomFunny how I chose a corrupted mind over a healthy (if not plain sexy) body. Guess by refocussing on my body, I will also find a way to get my head screwed back on the right way.

I, for one, live very much in the physical world. I love my humanity. I love the taste of good food and drink, the sound of music that lifts your soul, the touch of a lover, the sight of a gorgeous landscape, the smell of hot asphalt when it gets wet. I love feeling my body take to a workout like a bird to the air (I almost used "fish to water.")

My mind functions best when my body functions best. I learned that during residency because during residency, neither my mind nor my body worked terribly well after the first few months.

-Mike

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
^^^ hehe love your style Doc!

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You love your humanity??? Pardon me being confused but in German translation that sounds vaguely boastful wink

But maybe if I'm going over it once more and reflect, I get the real sense... smile I also enjoy this "human setting" and to enjoy life with all senses... Which is why I want to add sweat and physical exhaustion to the spectrum again.

Originally Posted By: DocI learned that during residency because during residency, neither my mind nor my body worked terribly well after the first few months.

residencey as in couch potatoe or as in... confused2

My mind is not working well today it seems.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhh
gotta get out... 24hrs to go....

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Swimming is such fantastic exercise. I used to swim very competitively from the age of 10 - 15... I had good stamina and a fluid, strong style especially in butterfly.

I'd love to go back to swimming, but my excuses are as follows:

1. washing & drying my hair every day is a drag. Yes, I wear a cap but still the water seeps in and the smell of chlorine is horrid.

2. I get an acute sinus reaction to the chemicals they use, particularly bromide which, from what I recall of my glory days, is what they primarily use in indoor pools.

Which is the lesser of two evils? Taking antihistamines all the time or being less fit and healthy than I desire? Of course I do other exercise, but for me, swimming is the most natural and efficient....

See Doc - I didn't come in here just to perve on your sixer! smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The sixer is gone again. Two weeks in spain and four days in London didn't help it at all. Time to put it back together again... frown

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FlashWhich is the lesser of two evils?

Facing the great white in the big blue...

Now that I started Kickboxing (Muay Thai) I know a good way too wink

Doc: 6 pack lost in tapas? hug Isn't it just SOOO hard to keep up a daily routine when traveling? I find so...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom
residencey as in couch potatoe or as in... confused2

Medical residency. That whole 80 hours/week thing.

-Mike

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Eww! Harsh - but over now smile

Big up for swimming - I try to go 3 times a week but it's usually more like twice these days. i go at 6.30am when the pool opens and they're always my most productive days - though it's flipping hard to adjust to the dark mornings recently!

Swimming was the one thing that got me back in action after i broke my collar bone and it's the only thing that resolved the nerve problems that remained (good job too, the consultant said she didn't understand the results of the tests so they'd start by investigating in my neck eek )

I'm not a strong swimmer but that's the beauty of it - you don't need to be top class to get both enjoyment and benefit from it.

Mind you, a pool is no match for the sea - I miss living 50yds from it and taking a dip at all and any hours, even at this time of year in the UK.

Shall we look forward to some nice pics of you soon Doc? wink

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

railspinnerjourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
swimming really is an amazing work out. I always found pools to be hard to spend much time in, I think my eyes are extra sensitive to chlorine because I almost lose my vision swimming, also I just find it's boreing, a big rectangular box with lanes painted on the bottom.. Im not much for gym equipment or pools, I like being physically active but I can't just sit their and do laps in a giant bathtub or lift around some silly equipment.

I spent a lot of this summer trekking through the bush and swimming in streams and lakes. I found I can swim all day in a lake or a stream and get an amazing workout and it doesn't seem like a chore. I found just over the summer, I put on a lot of chest shoulder and back muscle from swimming that I never had before.

Maybe someday I can form the motivation to make a daily effort to find a swimming pool and do a bunch of laps, since most parts of the country it's hard to find safe/clean swimming holes outdoors.

The less people know the more they believe

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
So, Since this thread is somewhat on a topic of fitness...

I see all these great pros about swimming but.... Out of all things physical than I can do (or almost do... unicycle), I can't swim worth a damn.

That being said, what's a good work out? I mean really, I just want to get rid of some body fat, but I don't really want to lose weight. I'm currently about 5 foot 8 inches and weight 135 pounds. Somewhere since teenagerhood I think I lost some muscle somewhere, that's the only thing I can thing of. That combined with working at fast food and gaining 30 pounds then quitting and losing it... Yea.

*shrug* I do eat healthy, I'm not anything close to a vegetarian or anything... Not yet anyway.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've given Molly my car (most days) and jog 3 miles to the train station on my way home from work.

I'm certainly not sure how long this will last, but it's kinda fun now.

In unrelated news, I don't think my body changes much whether I work out/am active or am not.

So I guess you're lucky Doc. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]