avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
HELP!!!

life just isn't the same, the end of my staff has snapped off and i don't know what to do......

it was my beast aswell, 6 wicks, FAAATTT aswell about 3cm across, and is about 5ft tall...it is a monster on fire

so what happened.....completely stupid, was spinning outside in London with the complete lack of parks, i was doing some contact round the neck and it caught the washing line!!! next thing i know is a massive weight difference and the end of my staff on the floor!!! absolutely gutted....

when i took of the wick realised it was a clean break on the 1st screw on the closest wick, and there was an insert inside the staff (guess to support the massive weight of the wicks) so thinking of a combination of glue & welding could sort it out......

please any suggestions?? im meant to be spinning at a friends wedding in a month

HELP

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Photos? I am having trouble visualising where the break is.

I doubt I will be the only one.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
right got some pics which will answer some questions...

but can't attach them for some reason, its asking for a http:\\ address!! just want em off the computer dammit
EDITED_BY: avalanche (1220440110)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Get a photobucket account and upload them there!

hug

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
anyone have any idea how to do it??

alternatively i'll try to explain it a little better.....

the impact was on the inside of the closest wick to me, the weight of the wicks forced all the weight onto the nearest screw, which is where the break is...

on closer inspection the staff has some hard tubing on the inside (not sure what the material is?) from the end of the staff to a 3rd of the way down, basically just past the where the wicks end. At the moment its like the wicks are detachable, and i can put it back together and the break is clean = weldable

.......this really isn't going well.......

aston can i send you an email? with the pictures, maybe you are more tech savvy than me

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
just remembered i have a flickr account!! idiot

whats the diagnosis doc?

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I would just replace the staff - keep the wicks. Its never going to be the same again now, and the metal tubing can be found cheaply at DIY stores - its the wick that makes staves expensive.

Theres articles all over the place on how to make your own staff so take a look at those, and good luck!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
cheers will words i didn't want to hear
ive been looking for a new one
its just difficult to let go.....ive done a fair amount of travelling with it frown

that and im skint at the mo...

just out of interest can anyone out there see the pics?? for future reference

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
you could always sand down the ends, drill some new holes and use it as a smaller staff...:)

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Ya..it's hooped.

I have pretty much the same staff, only mine's 4 1/2 feet and the wicking is a little heavy for the aluminium tubing. I've never broken it ( strange, considering I've missed the catch to more than a few high throws, but I only do those when I'm spinning on grass ) but I have bent it.

Rewicking a new piece of tubing is your only option if you want to keep the same length. and you may find that the short pieces of dowelling you have in the ends of your staff just add unnecessary weight. I used to think they were necessary in order to give the screws something to "bite" into, but I abandoned that type of construction in order to save weight.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah I could see em all.

And if you decide to make it a smaller staff be careful that you don't have any wicks too close to you when lit!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
do you reckon i should add the insert to to staff?
and does anyone know what to make it out of??

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
No, you should be fine without it. I've actually got more wicking on my staff ( 4 rows on each end ) and except for the previously mentioned bending I haven't had any problems.

One thing you may want to consider is making yourself a "practice' staff that's the same length and weight as your fire staff. That way you won't unnecessarily stress your fire toy by spinning it unlit.

Your staff looks to be made out of 3/4" aluminium tubing, which shouldn't be too hard to find.

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
its time to move on....

cheers for your help i think your right, think it will be more of a liability, specially on fire...

anyone know any good places to buy nice staffs? (uk based) i went to firetoys but the wicks seemed abit on the small side

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
good decision.
your health is worth more than any staff in the world.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always