OLDER STUFF:
Two NEW videos to show you:
Flow & Tech:

Union Square 2009:

---
'Ole stuff:
Just one itsy bitsy poi video will have to do for now:

- Only me having fun.

My whole body felt quite old school that night.

Enjoy =)

EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1261666477)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I dug it, great music. I'm dead tired, though, so I'll have to give it a rewatch with a more critical eye. Very nice energy, though. Thumbs up overall.

hug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I thought that was a good video wow

I'd like to say I thought it was a great video but... It was too damn dark to see what was going on.

I loved the music ( Celtophile here ) and the dancing that went with it at the beginning of the clip, the overall energy was great but by the time i got to the two minute mark I found myself starting to squint. By three minutes, I was starting to feel disappointed but I stuck it out to the end and simply watched the first two minutes over, and over and over.

I loving that Yuta influenced style.

I particularly liked that spiral wrap done down low. and those changes between the regular "performance planes" and the 90 degree plane bends into " planes edge on to the camera " were quite effective, thanks for that. wow

ETA...I really appreciated the variations in poi head speed.

Overall, I feel that if you re shot that video ( at the JFF ? ) you'd end up with a film that'll go down in poi history as a classic.

Cheers.
EDITED_BY: Stout (1220020451)

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI dug it, great music. I'm dead tired, though, so I'll have to give it a rewatch with a more critical eye. Very nice energy, though. Thumbs up overall.

Please do, and come back and beat me up with some awesome constructive criticism =)

Originally Posted By: StoutI thought that was a good video wow

I'd like to say I thought it was a great video but... It was too damn dark to see what was going on.

I loved the music ( Celtophile here ) and the dancing that went with it at the beginning of the clip, the overall energy was great but by the time i got to the two minute mark I found myself starting to squint. By three minutes, I was starting to feel disappointed but I stuck it out to the end and simply watched the first two minutes over, and over and over.

I loving that Yuta influenced style.

I particularly liked that spiral wrap done down low. and those changes between the regular "performance planes" and the 90 degree plane bends into " planes edge on to the camera " were quite effective, thanks for that. wow

ETA...I really appreciated the variations in poi head speed.

Overall, I feel that if you re shot that video ( at the JFF ? ) you'd end up with a film that'll go down in poi history as a classic.

Cheers.

Thank you =) Your words make me a proud spinner. I also feel that the two first minutes is what really makes it shine.

Yeah, Yuta, friend and sensei, he's a major inspiration to us all I think.

Tried to change speed according to music. Nice to see that it's appriciated.

It's funny tho how, when i focus on one thing, i forget the other. Like I would like the video to be more varied in places. There is so much more I can do and should have done.

I havn't decided on the music piece for JFF yet, but I hope I will find something entertaining =)

Cheers to you as well my friend.

---

Also here is the long story why and everything is wrong with the video:

It was raining outside, only a little bit, you can't see it. The battery was dead so I had to drag a 25 meter cable outside, everyone who was supposed to help me film was busy so I had to make 6 burns until I got a good video shot from a good angle without the poi appearing far outside, so that's why I avoid jumping around with lots of energy like mad the entire song.. I became afraid of going outside and having to redo it again...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I think Stouts already covered most of the gripes I'd have... location could be a bit nicer, technique is clean...

I mean, the only thing that would have joyed me more would be lending more of your body to the movement at times, giving a bit of a lean into something, moving your head or arms on more of a curve... but then snapping very much back to the firm upright posture that looks great as well, just variation there... but thats just being as picky as I really can be just to churn out some constructive criticism.

I think I'd have to work pretty hard to squeeze out much more than that, I enjoyed it, plane changes were indeed nice.

hug

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Thank you, it's the small details, like the leaning stuff you mention and other things that shall definitely be worked on. ( actually in this particular video I'd say there is less lean and more funny jumping around ). But that's a matter of taste. =)

Heck yeah, I got permission to use this music from Jeff and Mychael Danna, the people who made it, for JFF. o_O

Awesome!

moonmoonstranger
3 posts

Posted:
a good video,great music.

Life is full of ups and downs.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, I agree, but thats what I meant by "at times" you could slip in and out, contrasting them against one another... even if its just a lull in energy followed by a lean in into a leap and back into a nice rigid posture with the funny jumping...

Wow... this post seems to make no sense... do you actually understand what I'm gibbering about?

hug

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonOh yeah, I agree, but thats what I meant by "at times" you could slip in and out, contrasting them against one another... even if its just a lull in energy followed by a lean in into a leap and back into a nice rigid posture with the funny jumping...

Wow... this post seems to make no sense... do you actually understand what I'm gibbering about?

Actually It does to me. I know basically what your talking about. Hell why don't I just mix it all together and make a rigid posture why leaning and jumping around ? Haha!

Seriously dude, someday you'll have to tell me exactly what your on about, but until then I assume I have to vary my movement pattern more. =)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
By leaning I tend to mean "following your poi"

The easiest example is doing a 5bt off to your side (Waistwrap, not btb waistwrap?) and as it comes from behind you to in front, lean forward as though you've got to pull the poi out from behind your back with the weight of your body... its a little dip...

You can do it to a lesser extent with a buzzsaw fountain or similar. Its a very different style from what you've got going and you're a whole lot better than I am, so I feel strange offering advice, but IMHO it'd probably help you out if you were more variant in your body movement so that it contrasts and makes the dancing aspect more apparent.

That should hopefully make more sense.

hug

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Updating with this here video:

Flow & Tech.

I will make a better conversion of the same video for better youtube quality later.

Cheers.

Also, might as well get this up there, Union Square 2009:

EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1245336417)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hey Peter, those are a couple of great clips you've put up. Too bad about YouTube butchering the quality of the flow and tech one, it was kind of annoying to watch what would have been a fine piece of film making all messed up. Have you considered using Viemo, or Daily Motion ?

Wow !!!! on the performance one. Now that seriously covering a stage. Good to see that patented?? lol, stall on the back move again.

Still loving your style.

David

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Haha, thanks for the continued support =) Keepin me spinnin & alive =)
Yeah, I have been told I do use the whole stage =).

my first draft of the show was supposed to be a bit ballet inspired with some moves, however I changed very late because I couldn't come up with some of the things I wanted to do.

Finally, the stall on the back I have variations that I want to get out there, but they are much more difficult to work out. Another thing I had to cut out from performance due to short time to practice it.

Spinning love
Mireneye

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Really nice flow you got going there, Peter smile

On the Union square one, it's very sad that much of the effect got lost in the lighting conditions (always the problem with performance in public urban places - too much light) and the choice of music (too fast).

The one in the park I wonder about how the vid turned out... never seen YouTube behaving like that... what's the raw file you uploaded? because the resolution seems quite good. is it an .mov?

Never experienced that with .wmv or .avi's (so far)...

Overall I like it smile

Keep shining

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
deadly stuff man! theres loads of new shapes there for me to mess around with...and thats just the flow and tech vid ive watched.
keep up the good work grin

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomReally nice flow you got going there, Peter smile

On the Union square one, it's very sad that much of the effect got lost in the lighting conditions (always the problem with performance in public urban places - too much light) and the choice of music (too fast).

The one in the park I wonder about how the vid turned out... never seen YouTube behaving like that... what's the raw file you uploaded? because the resolution seems quite good. is it an .mov?

Never experienced that with .wmv or .avi's (so far)...

Overall I like it smile

Keep shining

Thank you so much for your kind words =). While I also think the music is very fast, I do, very much enjoy challenging myself as to what kind of music, speed, tempo & rhythm that I can play with. And yeah, to bad about the lighting smirk

I would guess I actually uploaded an AVI, however I honestly have no idea at this moment. The problem is mostly trying to compose a very heavy HD format (AVCHD) on my computer(which is a laptop). I'm not sure why it happens but whenever there was vertical movement it would slow down the conversion and it was very difficult to work with.

Youtube only helped butcher it a tiny bit, the rest I fear is my laptop.

Originally Posted By: 81LLdeadly stuff man! theres loads of new shapes there for me to mess around with...and thats just the flow and tech vid ive watched.
keep up the good work grin

I do try to keep myself up to date and preferably beyond, haha, however I seriously lack in some departments, like tangles & throws and such. Please do watch more of the youtube video collection, I imagine there are lots there you may enjoy =)

Spin well 81LL! And than you =)

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
No flow, just very overdue ideas I've wanted to get online for a long time (well most of them, some new).

I have finally archived a solid work-flow for videos so I have some surprises coming up =)

Cheers!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That could have been a nice video...if I could have seen what was going on. I tried lighting you up by shining a large, powerful flashlight on my monitor but all that did was turn you into a ball of light that appeared to be spinning.

I dunno, maybe I need a new monitor, but it was state of the art when I bought it in 1984 and I'm kind of attached to the monochrome green.

But from what I could see...lookin' good my friend

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I think so O_o

Some new videos for you all,

4 tecchy videos presented by Höstdemon:

Fire by David at Firedrums 2009:

Some weird juggling stuff:

And finally, an object manipulation party in Sweden:

Merry Xmas!!!