Forums > Videos > The Next Poi Show [freestyle]

Login/Join to Participate

ZealotSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Hello! Im Zealot, I am formerly of freestyle forum and now of DoMorePoi, and Ive also (it seems) now snaked over to here. So here's my latest vid for any of you to watch:

The Next Poi Show

320x240 https://youtube.com/watch?v=FfzJZTstqzY

720x480 https://zealot.beebalmfarm.com/poi/july9_full.wmv [89.0 MB]

Ok, so here's some footage from the 9th, all compiled into an (i know, freaking long) 8 min video. If you can stand to watch it all, look for the slow downs, they're all 5 beats ^-^

Let me know what you think!

Oh, and the full quality is uploaded and on my server. its 89 megabytes, but its in 720x480 res and pretty sexy if I may say so myself.

_Zealot

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
interesting. like the hybrid weave at 2.05 - 2.30, bet that takes ages to learn

great vid

ZealotSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
The 5bt hybrid? Yeah, it took a while. The left leading version was much harder for me to learn though, half of it just didnt want to click.

Im currently working on the reverse, but it's a little weird for me lol.

Id love any other comments and all prospects to improve!

_Zealot

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Pendulum could do with some cleaning up... And at the start I can't quite work it out, but is that a flower in opposites? If it is... when the poi are passing one another bring them up through a buzzsaw plane, it'll make it look a lot cleaner.

Try some stuff without poi... moving them together time same direction, together time opposites, split time same direction, split time opposites and turning with each one of those, it should help out your longarm a bit.

hug

ZealotSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
You mean like the geometric fire video? Because if so, all I have been practicing is long arm/anti spin combos and variations in the form of circles, triangles, and yes, squares. As for without poi... NEVAR!!!!

Im not sure which bit you mean by at the start, could you give me seconds? But in any case, Ive been working on my horizontal symmetry flowers and bringing them smoother into a buzzsaw. My flowers in general need more work, but I also need a large mirror to help practice them lol.

Oh, and pendulums.... Yeah, they could use some smoothing, Ive been working with them in some combinations and I know theyre not as sharp as they could be.

Thanks for watching!

_Zealot

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
There was something near the start that you were doing and it looked like a split time opposites flower, but it looked in the video like the poi were passing outside your arms rather than up in a buzzsaw plane. Its about 35 seconds in.

hug

ZealotSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
lol, that is a hybrid of my own creation and I like it just fine, tyvm. But I can do those flowers you speak of and keep them running through buzzsaw, too. that just isnt what I was trying to do biggrin

_Zealot

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Mind breaking it down for me, then? I can't seem to quite see whats going on there. ^_^

hug

ZealotSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Certainly. In essence, each hand is following a triangle antispin pattern. If you're spinning clockwise (eg to the right), then the steps goes like this:

1: Left and Right make outside petals (left to left, right to right)
2: Right makes top petal, left bottom
3: Right makes bottom petal, left top.

The move in the video is a bit different from this because in step 3, instead of the right hand antispining to the bottom, it long arms which gives the left hand more room to go farther right on it's top and bottom beats, and vice versa for right.

I hope that makes sense biggrin

_Zealot