Forums > Videos > Making Promo Videos...

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Edited OP:

(Semi-)professional firespinners want to have (semi-)professional promotion videos ...

wink

Maybe you could help me, give me some ideas on "how to make my own promo"... I mean, hey after all we're in the same boat and nobody got big bucks to burn... Maybe there is something to learn for everybody?

Anyway - if there is another thread with a similar content, feel free to ignore, lock and dump shrug

This is what I got so far (first time video editing).

One thing to remember (first of all) - for the sake of your own sanity: Don't use WindowsMovieMaker for your editing, or - if you have not alternative available (as me at this point) SAVE your work after EVERY step you take.

Thanks for your input hug2

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1214785667)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
heya tom,

well done. considering the fact that these were your very first videos I have to say that you did a great job!

Yet there are several things that I dislike about your promos. But I can't blame you for anything for I made the exact same "mistakes" at the beginning biggrin

First of all I'd strongly recommend you to use as few video effects as possible. They look cheap and do nothing but cover the fact that there is a lack of content or a lack of editing skill. Plus they will make your PC render for a real long time wink

Second: if you really want to use written language change the font and the color of it. "Your desire to be unique is unoriginal" is one of my favourite quotes and it holds true for so many self-made films: people try to differ from each other and end up making films that look very similar one to another. It is better to use a decent font with white colour and fade it in/out than to use the effect you used with fading and stuff. The best way to learn making films is by trying to imitate films you like. Don't force yourself to be unique!

Third: Editing. There are many factors that are of great importance for a good promo video but in my opinion the striking one is the editing. No offense but watching your videos isn't really as pleasing as it could be. Here's how to do it next time:
Get yourself two buddies with two cameras. One of them is going for a long shot, the other one for a medium shot. This gives you many options for nice and decent editing for you don't have to use what you _can_ use but you use what you _want_ to use.

I would like to say once more that you really did a fabulous job for your "first time"! There's great potential in you but you have to keep on pushing and trying

Max

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hey Max - thanks for the input hug

Haven't been aware that mine look like many others - just edited to aesthetic/practical POV's...
I like the font, the colors, the style... ubblol oh man, I'm just not unique 'enough'...(*) too much Bollywood I suppose wink

2 cameras... luxury, Dude...

Besides I often tried but never succeeded to be behind AND in front of the camera at the same time... wink

And thankx for the compliment - I will push and shove, it's really just been vid #2 and #3 that I ever edited...

Sidenote --- WMM is a mad2 pain in the neck

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Well i'll give you my 2p;

I completley agree about the video effects, they scream "i've just discovered this!" and fits into what i call the photoshop effect (first thing you do when you get photoshop? play with the filters). The shattering tiles are rather cheesy too.

Why have 2 videos? I thought the ropes one was a little flat in that there was only really 1 shot and the sword one was too long, combine them to make it more interesting. Also a good rule for promos is not to make them any longer than about 1.30, 2 minutes max. You want to leave people wanting more, not wondering when this is going to finish (sorry but i didnt make it all the way to the end of the swords one).
Keep it fast paced and dynamic, the brain takes in a picture in 7 frames (at 25 frames per second) so you can switch images pretty fast without confusing people. When i made the Chimaera promo i tried to keep the shot length to an absolute maximum of about 4-5 seconds to keep it interesting.

IMO the only text that should appear on screen is contact info and name of group, name of prop at a push. Saying things like "massive flame' is fairly redundant, we can see that from the video. Oh and thanking people for watching makes you sound like a random hippie putting a video on the net. This is your promo, be more professional and just put up your contact info (in a nice plain font that is easy to read, personally i like Helvetica, and that isnt scrolling, thats like soooo 1990's wink)

As Max said, good effort for a first attempt but could do with a little work. If you make another ill be happy to give you my oppinion of that too.

"Don't do it naked!"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Thanks that critique is more devastating than Max's... Politeness is only skin deep - honesty goes straight to the bone wink

Yupp, shalt abandon smileys and merely use plain text... ;o)

Will be back with another attempt - btw they are mainly dun for the Indian market ;o)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
TeHeee - so there we are...

Chimaera Promo Video - we're talking about countless, high quality, amazing shots, edited with... Adobe Premier... if may assume? umm

Amazing work hug

May I ask how much footage you had to start with? How long it took to edit this promo?

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Sandy

When i made the Chimaera promo

eek eh? huh? did I miss something... spank

Last year's Chimaera promo was shot with Pansonic HVX200 as DVCPROHD 720p50 at 100mb/s.For lighting we used an ianiro redhead and an Arri kit with 1x650w 2x350w all with straw gels and diffusion run off a generator with 4x70w lights used to illuminate scenery run off a car battery. Edited with FInal Cut Pro, Colour Corrections done betwen FCP and Avid Media Composer, we shot about an hour of rushes over two days.

Locations were recce'd and shooting went to a strict schedule of pre-arranged camera and performer setups in order to get things done. Cast and crew was 12 performers, 6 crew (director/camera, camera assistant, make up artist, lighting technician, generator technician, runner) with some performers helping out with tech stuff (mainly lighting) and running directions around to cast n crew.

At times it was like trying to herd cats but it turned out alright in the end...

My promo making guidelines...

1) Use lights. Without them the dynamic range between fire and performer is too great for even a decent camera and you either get overexposed fire or cant see the performer. Generally using straw or orange gels along with some diffusion helps soften the light and blend it's colour with the light from the fire. Shining bright white lights at figures who ought to be lit by a warm firey glow looks odd (although this can be tweaked in colour correction).

2) Use a professional camera. Little handycams are poor for filming fire as the lens tends to be rubbish and the sensors are too small to capture much in low light.

These two points are the most important. If your image is crap then it doesn't matter how good an editor you are or what NLE you use, the film wont be good. On the other hand if you import great footage into imovie/wmm you can still make a great movie.

You don't have to buy cameras you can rent them for a weekend when you have everything organised for your shoot. If you're talking about making a promotional film to sell a professional product then shooting on your mates £400 camera without lights just isn't good enough. The cost of hiring kit is less than what you'll make in one gig (over in the UK anyway), though if you need operators then you'll have to pay more.

3) Use decent editing software with colour correction. Colour correction can make a lot of difference to your finished film. Those shots that were a little dark can be made to look fine (note a little dark, not pitch black... you need information there to work with). Equally the frame accurate trim tools you get with Avid/FCP/Premiere give you a lot more control over your edit.

Good luck

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh... lovely Dream smile

Nice to see you... hope things are healing quickly hug

xx

Getting to the other side smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
fantastic advice, dream!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Tom - take a look through [Old link] which is all promo videos - see what you think works and what doesn't.

There's already a small thread [Old link] which you could try adding to... Always try a search before posting a new thread remember wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Durb'd rolleyes promotional would have been the term...

However: Dream - thank you very much for insights and advice hug your promo clearly shows dedication, concept, equipment, preparation and post production... a brilliant promo IMO. Healing quickly? Yes, please...

Written by : Durbs

Remember the range of events people will have a fire performer at... Your video should appeal to as many differnt people as possible.

Or, less subtly - few people will want a guy to turn up at their event and spin fire without a top on. Some might, but not many. If this is the only thing you want to do (or more generally, if a person/group want to target a specific market) that's cool - but ideally you want to appeal to as broad a section as possible.

This statement I am split over...

Would you still keep this up if you produce a FEW promos? I believe that it's more important to edit videos that appeal to specific audiences and give them links to the one, YOU feel is appropriate.

As for example a rave will be looking for a different performance than - for say - a wedding. Also then editing of the promo will need to be in a different fashion (i.e. rave = fast pace, wedding = romantic).

And if you edit your video for agents/ agencies, certainly you want to have your full range of skills displayed in a short time...

So this is my third attempt:

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1214785713)

ThaiTomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
......traveling in Asia is knowing Oud... juggle juggle

uupssss !!!!!!!!!!! sorry for that one

l&p TT
EDITED_BY: ThaiTom (1214867459)

ThaiTomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
....traveling in Asia is knowing Oud..... :juggle

https://de.youtube.com/watch?v=9rwv81aKIgk

TT wink
EDITED_BY: ThaiTom (1216921710)

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by :dream

Written by :Sandy

When i made the Chimaera promo

eek eh? huh? did I miss something... spank

Sorry Sy, i was talking about the edit. Didnt mean to imply that i was the only person involved, everyone worked really hard that weekend, especially you. hug

"Don't do it naked!"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dom - trust me, if I would have more footage at hand, I would try to use it. Gotta get back to Munich and have some more decent one made - the old one is buried somewhere in the pyramids' tomb...

How would anyone think of using Adobe After Effects to spice up promos?.... Something like...

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8o8zDy6EM

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Like that... No... Like this...

fire flower

hug Clare... mending well thanks...

hug Sandy... I was just being grumpy cos I couldn't be at Glasto...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
wooooooooooooooow - sweet work of this guy! Thanks for sharing smile

another beauty right here

Not been to Glastonbury? How about EJC?

DavidJNolanPrecision instrument of speed and aromatics
240 posts

Posted:
Just some simple tips:

* Think about the font and colour of your text - at times it is hard to read

* DO NOT BREAK UP EMAIL ADDRESSES OR URLS!!!!

- this is an absolute no-no. It makes your email address difficult to read and consequently people may type it in wrong. Nothing is worse than a potential big gig being lost because the client wasn't able to understand what your email address was supposed to be.

Not a spinner!