fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
Im currently constructing a pair of fire swords, their being made from aluminum pole but what i'd like advice on is the wick should i wrap wick around the pole or should i make a sleeve that slides over it, I would like any info on the benefits of each type

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
For a thin sword as it sounds you are making I'd go with a sleave - just make sure its secure at the top and bottom.

For a wider sabre style we have used wide strips wrapped around and it worked really well, I'm pretty sure this won't work as well around a narrow pole though.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
the pole isnt really all that narrow it has a 1.5" diameter

what is the burn time like on using a sleeve? and how durable are they?

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I haven't made them with sleeves myself - I've used sleeves on juggling balls though and they have a surprising burn time, around 3 minutes is easily possible. I've also found them to be quite durable, I haven't got a hole anywhere yet despite many drops.

To increase burn time you could always double/triple layer the sleeving?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
ive never even thought of rope wick before, I have 120 meters of 2" wide wick that i was going to use. one of my concerens of using a sleeve is how well it will react to my fire breathing with it

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
Gotta be honest chef, i'm not a fan of fire breathing as you know, but fire breathing with a fire sword just sounds like you're asking for trouble. The reason i say this is because its not like you are using a torch which can be taken away from the fuel source quickly and has a small wick. It just sounds like there's more risk of accident.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.