Forums > Social Discussion > does it matter what moves are called?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
well, I did a search so apologies if this has been posted before...
something that seems to be coming out of the poigeek thread:

does it really matter what moves are called, especially when you're just starting out?

So long as you learn a 'move' you're improving your co-ordination: should it matter that whether you learn 'the mexican wave', not 'alternating butterfly shoulder reels?'

granted when you get to the intermediate/advanced stage, its sooo much more helpful to think of things in broken down terms, but personally I think its hard enough at the beginning to just learn the move without worrying what the name means

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Sorry, Durbs, missed that one! And I was sure I'd read all new posts... redface
By all means go and improve on the poidia, it'll definitely be useful.
Still I think - your argument about modern vs traditional poi nonwithstanding - that as long as I use new, modern names for basic moves, it would be hypocritical for me to be upset at someone giving something a descriptive name like the archer's weave smile
But then I'm not a techy spinner either.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Birgit

By all means go and improve on the poidia, it'll definitely be useful

glad we have your permission ubblol

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hey, you even have my permission to be friendly to people who make it clear that just because they think it's not a problem if some teachers use their own naming system that doesn't mean they consider the attempts to unify things a bad plan/restrictive/arrogant.

Wouldn't that be nice? To be able to contribute to a discussion without every word being put on the golden scales, taken out of the context and subsequently taken the mickey out of?

That's the extent of my generosity. Now you're free to make use of it smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:

Wouldn't that be nice? To be able to contribute to a discussion without every word being put on the golden scales, taken out of the context and subsequently taken the mickey out of?

By the way, I met this Maori girl when I was travelling, and she had poi with her and was doing a butterfly and a buzzsaw. She called it something weird though - I asked her to get her nomenclature sorted and that it was to be called butterfly and buzzsaw, not some foreign nonsense she must've come up with to make it sound special...

works both ways ubblol

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
hey... come on guys.. play nice grouphug

anyway, back on topic again...

names of moves: important for internet discussions, not so important for real life discussions when you can actually show what you're talking about.

potential solution to the problem of internet confusion and ways of disseminating the knowledge other than through meeting other people: the poidias and instructional videos

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :LazyAngel

potential solution to the problem of internet confusion and ways of disseminating the knowledge other than through meeting other people: the poidias and instructional videos

and these should def be linked, embedded vid for each move?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
well... I reckon diagrams could get the point across for a lot of moves... alternatively spherculism's poibot could work, but ideally it would be a video of someone doing the move cleanly

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
poibot could be kinda cool, but much rather nice clear vid, even better if done like this

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I do think there should be a unified language (for those of us who want such a thing), but I'm not too bothered about the terms actually meaning anything. It can help a bit, but once you know the move & the term it's fairly irrelevant.

Continuing the comparison to music, there are lots of terms (crotchets & quavers anyone) that don't really mean anything to do with what they are, it's just the name of it.

This also means it doesn't matter what your native language is, as durbs pointed out in music you use foreign words all the time, once you know what they mean (ie what you have to do when you see it) you can use it functionally.

Page: