Page:
mellowtomBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
ive been playing with the staff and double staff for about 3 months and I just started on poi yesterday. I must say poi hurts a lot more then staff! ive got brusies everywhere, ive been hit in the face 1,000,000 times, and winded myself by an unfortunate hit in between the legs redface - still i can see an addiction forming!!
Has anybody got any funny/ painful injurys stories to share? It might inspire me to perserve and learn this bloody 3 beat weave backwards
Peace,
Tom

zombieloveSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Oh goodness, I've set my bandana on fire a couple of times(i was drunk), I hit myself in the head hard enough to cut my forehead a couple of weeks ago. I also have torn my ACL in my left knee( resulting in surgery) I was in the middle of a backbend while spinning and lost my balance and bent funny to keep from setting myself on fire!

Kiznanewbie
11 posts

Posted:
I've been hit by them but it doesn't hurt if you get to dominate the move.

LockSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Compared to glowsticks, Poi really don't hurt nearly as much. Though when glowsticks I have this unique ability to guide them straight into my temples. Almost knocked myself out once doing it. Might of actually succeed it was dark outside. All I know is I hit the ground.

Poi Just like going for the back of my head. :P

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i managed to bust my lip and give myself a black eye with glow sticks..... the day before having to go for a family meal and explaining exactly why i looked like i'd been fighting!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Doing BTB stuff can be dangerous seeing as it's behind you so you can't see the nut shot coming.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Kusanaginewbie
23 posts

Posted:
I had to explain to my SO how exactly I came to have two identical bruises, one top of each ass cheek. I was just starting poi at the time, so my explanation of "overhead butterfly" didn't mean squat to him... *g* It was funny though and it taught me a lesson: start with CIRCLES *bg*

Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and it hold the universe together.

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
~An elegantly bound book in a language you can't read~
43 posts

Posted:
I had my ear pierced industrially and hit myself square on the piercing site (mind you it was infected to begin with) and had to run inside the house just to scream haha. Damn that hurt. I've also busted out 4 lightbulbs in my bedroom...now we have none left so we use the lamp LOL.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” -Alice

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I can vouch for the hitting between the legs thing: have done it several times now and am SO glad I am not a guy.

I've only been doing this a week but already have a HUGE bruise on the right side of my leg I continue to hit. At this point it's either getting callused or I'm hitting it less as it doesn't hurt as much. I've bonked myself several times in the eye with ogg and sock poi, hit myself in the temple more times than I can count trying to learn high reels (I foresee many more temple shots because I just can't seem to get that move) - while changing clothes a few days ago I was amazed by how many bruises I have on my legs that had to have come from the poi.

So yeah. Pain is the way of the game, it seems. wink

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I have been practicing under legs moves recently with my covereed fire monkey fists. Yesterday i landed one on my ankle which hurt a hell of a lot

no pain no gain

CJDemonSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
After 3 days of poi and I already got hurt in the nutter. Darn the monkeyfists! Happy it didn't go fast since it bumped onto my leg a bit first, making it not hurt as much. Why did I order monkeyfists? >_< POI HURT. But the pleasure if swinging is greater than the unpleasure of hitting the nutter.. Meh.

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Wow, I'm amazed that you guys practice with monkey fists. Nothing but sock poi for me until I get it down. I might like to have children one day after all.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Yeah: I practice with socks despite having no nuts to hit.

There are times when softer is better. biggrin

Bondystranger
12 posts

Posted:
Im not usin anythin harder than a tennis ball 4 now(i want kids at some point lol) and even they can hurt if they catch wrong.

CJDemonSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
 Written by :NathanielEverist

Wow, I'm amazed that you guys practice with monkey fists. Nothing but sock poi for me until I get it down. I might like to have children one day after all.

The more you hurt yourself, the less the chance is you're going to make the same mistake again. hug

And 4 days of swinging now and I realise they can give blisters on the insides of your fingers too. On both of my indexfingers on the exact same spot a blister.. *sigh* better stop spinning till they're gone.

Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
My back still hurts from when I hit it with the soft fluffy practice poi. I managed to hit a vertebrae, which probably wasn't clever (I was doing the alternate butterfly, and my left hand is known for not behaving)

At least it wasn't anything harder than that really.

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I've got a constant bruise-site on my right outer thigh that starts to get better, then gets bonked with my cathedrals and oops, there it goes swelling again.

As lucky as I am not to have nutters it still hurts to get whacked by the kevlar balls. Still, it's nice with those finger-handles so I perservere wink

CJDemonSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm gonna order some fluffy fluffy fluffy poi. Monkeyfists HURT.

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
 Written by :CJDemon

The more you hurt yourself, the less the chance is you're going to make the same mistake again. hug

Written by :CJDemon

Ok, I'm gonna order some fluffy fluffy fluffy poi. Monkeyfists HURT.

lol, while some may argue that hurting yourself means you're less likely to make the same mistake again, it's just not worth it, and the tentativeness that may ensue for a painful whack may hinder your movement and the courage necessary for learning some moves.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Like? I have not hit myself badly, but hitting myself has never stopped me from getting a move right....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:

lol, while some may argue that hurting yourself means you're less likely to make the same mistake again, it's just not worth it, and the tentativeness that may ensue for a painful whack may hinder your movement and the courage necessary for learning some moves.

ditto
Bruising sometimes makes you not want to try new stuff so it's nice to have soft poi to swing around that won't make you go down if they hit you wrong. I still have my sock poi hanging around although now I've got a pair of old oggz in them to give added weight (but they're fairly soft in comparison to the kevlar).

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
I've whacked myself lots but not usually anything too painful. I bruise fairly easily but they don't typically hurt. When I started to work on buzzsaws and hyperloops I hit my forearms so often that I looked like some sort of freakishly ill leopard for a few weeks. I still don't have hyperloops down by the way and my buzzsaws are somewhat sloppy.

netrixnewbie
1 post

Posted:
ive been learning for a week, and only yesterday did i really hurt myself. hit myself in the nuts doing a one handed butterfly, then trying it again i hit myself it the head and its left a nice little mark and a lump. frown glad the fire poi's wernt lit

Sarah_PBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I clocked myself upside the head with my cathedrals rather painfully yesterday while trying to get high reels. The move, both the low and high, has been kicking my butt and now with a goose egg on my noggin I'm a little hesitant to try the higher until I get much better at the lower...

CJDemonSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:

Well.. up to a certain level of pain it works.. ubblove The monkeyfists didn't seem to be as painful in the beginning.. but then I tried a few harder moves.. and hit myself all the time. Me st00pid. hug Can't wait till I get the fluffy poi. ubblol

Bondystranger
12 posts

Posted:
For some reason ive not hit myself anywhere other than my nuts(unless i dont notice in other places lol)
They just seemto attract the poi. lmao

Kiriamenewbie
1 post

Posted:
I just started glow poi 2 nights ago. Yeah I definitely hit my self in the face twice. And I kept hitting the same spot on my thigh, no bruise though. Luckily I didn't hit myself hard enough for the pain to last more than a minute. The main pain was in my arms because I'm not used to using my arms in the ways poi requires. Oh and yesterday I was quite glad I wasn't a man because I would have been in A LOT of pain.

"I wear make-up and dress this way because I think it makes me look better. I am not doing it to get people to stare at me. If I wanted to do that I could just put a pot on my head, wear a wedding dress and run screaming down the street."

InspirebyFirestranger
24 posts

Posted:
i haven't really spun glow sticks, but i jumped straight into fire poi with the block cathedral wicks. i've been spinning for awhile and i get banged up! i've got bruises all over my legs and tend to wack myself upside the head. but practice does make perfection.

QuestionzYnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
I have only been learnig Poi for a 2 days and have managed to hit my nuts a few times and i lost count of the hits in the head.
Poi=Pain yes it does but I am addicted and the pain is so worth it.The feeling I got when i nailed forward weave was great,still can't get the reverse weave but I'll keep practicing(and suffer a few more knocks to the head) and feel so great when i get it down,then ill move onto something else and begin the pain of learning once again.
Theres a fine line between pleasure and pain, sometimes there is no line at all.

"Dancing is not simply moving to the music,it is becoming one with the music and letting the music move you"
Peace.Love.Unity.Respect.

kasaiUsaginewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I have singed my hair, I have beaned my self in the head more times than i can count once deap smake in the middle of my forehead. I have bruises on my legs I have yet o burn my self to badly though...

Song_Breezenewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I have whacked myself in the knees and the back of the head a few times. And managed to get someone else in the shoulder.

Page: