Page:
Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone! Haven't been on HOP in a while, how is everyone??? Was just curious if anyone had any ideas for three staff contact? couldn't find a thread on HOP anywhere bout it? soz if there is. When i say three staff contact i mean a move based on all three staffs performing a "contact" move. In other words, 3 single staffs doing a contact move each, in succession if necessary to create one big PHAT move? any ideas? got some on the cards at the mo that I am working on, just wanted to see if anyone else is trying the same sort of thing. If that's you, where r u? AND MOVE TO BRISTOL! until we meet again y'all x ubbloco

Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
o and i want the moves to try and keep all three staffs to one plane plz!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
How about a Lucero with dual fishtails? tongue

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I think there's capacity within a continuous normal steve (or continuous half-steve as it's also known) for three sticks, though I think that it's one of those tricks that's easy to think of and almost impossible to execute! ubbloco

Also, in the realm of the impossible (no, REALLY impossible) is:

(the two hands can be swapped over)
Two sticks in right hand, on in left.
Angel roll from right hand
As angel roll reaches elbow of left arm, release a vertical steve from the left hand.
As vertical steve reaches right elbow, release angel roll from right hand.
Continue

eekeekeek

I'd like to see someone do the first few steps with two sticks, to be honest, I'd pay to see that!

Of course, the next step would be to do that with the non-angelling/steveing stick in dual fishies which would, of course, allow one to stop mid angel/steve and get into Dave's lucero ubblol

I think the above go on the 'tricks I'd like to be able to do in 10 years' list providing that they're actually theoretically possible!

p.s. (feeling inspired by this thread... how about dual fishtails... on a third staff!? think about it wink )

T

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
nah, unfortunately i think even a two staff steve 'shower' isn't possible. Cos of the way you have to raise and lower your arms to do the steve, the first steve blocks the second from working. Plus as soon as you want to pass the staff from hand to another above your head, raising your arms block both halfs of the steve.

Thou that's only really the case if you have to raise your arms. You could train it so that you don't. Thou it would be best to use short staffs so you don't hit yourself in the face. But then your doing a very hard steve with short staffs, which isn't going to be particularly easy.

A way I think would be possible for 3 or more staffs, though also very hard, would be to do a minimal steve shower. You wouldn't have to particularly move your arms a lot, cos the staff will never get trapped by them, obviously thou, you would have to do the entire thing mostly blind, since you will be looking down most of the time.

Plus I think sandy made it clear that a two staff full steve shower is possible, if difficult.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
Nice thanx meg! yeh couldn't get the beginning of the steve to work in it, looks a bit lopsided at first but it evens out a bit once you've practice, , hmmm have to have a think how to explain this... right, ummm ok to start with obv all staffs spinning in one direction, one on neck one in each hand, Keep to a horizontal plane. Right hand puts the staff into a neck roll as the staff on your neck does the end of an exteneded steve to your right arm putting you basically into your starting position, and once the staff that is now on your neck does a 360 on the back of your neck there comes a point where you can place the left staff onto your neck at a parrellel to the neck staff coming off, (the staff coming off needs to be grabbed by your left hand) and another 360 on neck place right staff, 360 on neck place left staff etc etc... , u can mix up which side you do it with and works much the same way you would contact hats in a vertical plane, your head has to come up to: 1. - see where the staff on the parrellel comin in is on both sides.& 2. - to keep control of the stick on your neck. Does that make any sense? think i'll have to go draw some pics, god i need a video camera argh¬!!! lol, any luck anywayz??

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

A way I think would be possible for 3 or more staffs, though also very hard, would be to do a minimal steve shower.

wouldnt the staffs take each other out?

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
Ah irinus sounds a lot like what u were describing! a continuous half steve it can be mixed up a bit tho, for the left hand i tend to take the staff of a neck roll into a 180 hwere the centre point is now level with the end of the shoulder ( in horizontal btw) and then isolate it into a 360 onto my neck again....? is there a vid of a "lucero" online anywhere?
nice crazy ideas! liking them, im off to play! ubbloco

Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Irinus

Also, in the realm of the impossible (no, REALLY impossible) is:

(the two hands can be swapped over)
Two sticks in right hand, on in left.
Angel roll from right hand
As angel roll reaches elbow of left arm, release a vertical steve from the left hand.
As vertical steve reaches right elbow, release angel roll from right hand.
Continue

eekeekeek

T

That sounds crazy!

(btw do i know you irinus?)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
how about conveyor? instead of a turn at the end you could pop staff over the head halo style could be a bit crowded though but I'm pretty sure that can be done with 2 I tried a bit last summer.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
There are luceros in this video from inspinerate (halo - turn - halo - turn):
https://inspinerate.com/video/tutorials/april%2007/cont%20neck%20wrap%20lucero%20jesus.mov
... and I think Neon does them in the Australian part of the the collaborative contact vid.

Thanks Meg for 'doing the math.' I agree that the minimal steve would be the more likely way to do the shower but I didn't know the name of the trick to say it before redface I guess it would be cool if someone (like your good self) could make up three sticks connected at one end and separated by 120 degrees to see if the rolling is possible if the sticks are stuck together! I guess the fact that they'd have to be able to rotate around their long axis would make this a bit more difficult...

Oh, and I don't think we've ever met Dave though I'll be trying my hardest to make it to a Bristol convention this year smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ninja_Dave

o and i want the moves to try and keep all three staffs to one plane plz!

ubblol preferably wink

I can't think of any, but then again - what the §%& do I know...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Irinus

Thanks Meg for 'doing the math.' I agree that the minimal steve would be the more likely way to do the shower but I didn't know the name of the trick to say it before redface I guess it would be cool if someone (like your good self) could make up three sticks connected at one end and separated by 120 degrees to see if the rolling is possible if the sticks are stuck together! I guess the fact that they'd have to be able to rotate around their long axis would make this a bit more difficult...

ZOMG! Just saw Trilobite by Jay Gilligan and I have to say, the three staff thing you describe and that he uses is an IMMENSE prop. I might have to make one...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Possible to have a solid middle piece where all staffs connect to and possible to have the staffs rotating along their axis... If you check (Bender's?) "Spinferno" you find a regular three-section staff... the interesting part for what you have in mind is at the chain-ends of the staff (ball bearings). If three of these are welded together (at an 120 angle each) you will be able to fit 3 staff in them.

Some similar firetoys have been around a couple of years ago (lost the link), where ppl were welding three 30cm staff to a ring, inside the ring has been a ball bearing and you could spin the whole thing around your finger - appears to be a bit of a "fake-toy", but still nice to look at and not so easy to work with.

As to "three staff contact move" I will consult the local Guru and ask what he comes up with...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
PS: Meg - you got the whole DVD? On the teaser there is nothing remotely like that...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah I have the whole DVD, but must say, only like two good parts on it. The rest is pretty dire, unless you love ugly technical club juggling more than I do.

The thing jay uses is like a nunchuck, except it has three 'ends' and each of them is maybe 1.4m long... Awesome possibilities...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... like the one on Spinferno? Most likely we're not talking about the same Jay, but I agree: awesome possibilities smile *stops hijacking*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no, it's not a three section. All the ends are attached to the same place. Like a o ring with three short chains coming off it, each attached to a long pole. Nothing like a three section.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
bring some protection lol

Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
yo yo homeboy

AnotherCircleBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
So, how is it going ?

Some new things ?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Got some triple staff on staff contact last night, biggrin with a couple of throws and catches all from staff to staff, 1 staff contact and 1 in each hand. and old chazz was a hairs breath from a matrix with a staff in each hand ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
Wha gwan Dave? It's been a while!

I don't do multi-staff - I don't even do doubles - but I had an idea which seems to make sense. I dunno maybe it's lame, it's not particularly tech but I think it would look well good, and is quite down with your style of tings:

Basically transverse plane elbow locks and spins on both arms with neck lock and spin in the middle. I was initially thinking they'd all start parallel but actually the neck lock would be at a wider angle wouldn't it? Maybe not... Anyway start off vaguely parallel, quarter turn the staffs to lock on the other side (so the neck one would go in the opposite direction to the others, right?) to finish all parallel again. Keeping the elbow ones parallel, do an elbow spin and neck spin at the same time (opposite direction). This should mean that if you get the timing right the staff shouldn't collide.

That might not work at all. Sitting here all staffless, trying to work out whether they'd collide or not, or whether you could do it with them all spinning parallel in the same direction, but I don't think so unless you had impossibly short staffs.

I think one's enough for me.

biggrin

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
atomic crossed propellers are so Much fun biggrin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
You mean steve throws where it comes up the arm then into the air for either 1/2, full or more rotations, giving enough time for the other steve to switch arms. the only problem is the 2 staffs meet at the elbows opposite and you have to be careful the ends don't hit.

Now what woould be freakin awsome would be doubles continuoys minimal steves, it would isolate 2 wicks in the cradle of your arms whilst 2 rotated around the outside (imagine brackets are arms and lines are staves)

---(-=-)---

they "should" just follow each other round, but the physics just doen't quite work right because of god damn third dimension frown

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I like being 3d, it means I can poop.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
:erm: I've reached the stage where I can't tell if your being vulgar OR winding me up with some inevietable awful name for a new move or combo ubblol Your posts should really be typed after you've clicked the "de-jock" tab on your browser wink

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Sooo...... I've got 360 halos going on, or luceros, with a staff in each hand, but every time I start to spin the staffs in my hands the 360 halo/ lucero steves down my arm. Any help?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
practise more?

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Hope your DVD is more informative than that:P
Moondrake says hi, he likes the benny hill video.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey will either of you have DVD copies on your person while in Oz? that would be grande

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: