Forums > Advanced Staff moves > advanced staff juggling ... let´s go mad !!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I think its time to restart the staff juggling thread in the advanced forum.

Since quite a few ideas were mentioned in the old thread that don`t seem to really fit in a beginners section.

I would really appreciate if people would post there ideas.
But do me a favor and make a distinction between claiming
to really have a move and random ideas.
it will help reduce misunderstandings
wink
And it will give us a better over view where people are.

To get you started :
I was playing around with a lot of 531522 variations

one is (i think) quite interesting
you know the one throw were you throw a staff as a waist cross and catch it with the other hand on the opposite side of the waist
use it as the 3
it is fun biggrin

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

NikoFLOWnewbie
27 posts

Posted:
Thanks Tim

I see what you mean about the differences in our styles. Lenght on the staffs effecst a lot to how it looks. we personally don't wanna use staffs below 1 meter lenght. We actually call staffs only over 1 meter "objects" and everything below batons or sticks :)but we don't really know the real definition for staffs. We like your work too and and it's only a good thing that there is different "forms" of staff juggling. Allthought there should be more staff jugglers.

We do gigs with fireshow group FLAMMA https://en.flamma.fi/
.english version of the site is not updated very often

we are from finland and our new routine should be ready for next EJC.. hopefully!!

We have been juggling staffs since 2005 and before that we juggled mostly diabolos

LOL..your last question. I don't really have opinion about barry white.

EDITED_BY: NikoFLOW (1269164773)

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Lol, seeing as how me and Antti are both staff jugglers and also love our soul music i thought you might as well ;-)
In my opinion the man was a musical genius often treated as nothing more than a joke......still back to the juggling.

I know lots of people has different thoughts on what makes a staff a staff, for me I don't really care about the name its just semantics. There is a similar argument about what is or isnt "juggling" and again I think the argument is mostly semantics (arguments about definition of words)

Some people insist that juggling with staffs over one metre is harder than with staffs/sticks under one metre but I disagree.

The reasons for this are that smaller staffs spin a lot more and this makes them harder to control, also shorter fire staffs get much hotter and you have to be much more accurate with your catching to not either drop or burn you hands.
Larger staffs on the other hand need more room to fit in a pattern which is obviously harder, also the weight can be an issue. So my opinion is that both have advantages and disadvantages which equal themselves out.

However the whole argument about length of staffs and levels of difficulty is flawed in my opinion, I am a performing fire juggler and whilst I do care about the thoughts of other jugglers, the reason I train is put on the best show I can for people who are generous enough to pay me money to do what I love.
I have never met an audience memeber yet who wanted me to use either shorter or longer staffs.

So the only real reasons I think for picking the length of staff are the aesthetics of the prop, the style of the prop in the air and the practical aspects related to technique (no one is going to juggle 3m staffs).
For me and my style short fast flying staffs are great, but for you guys the longer slower staffs suit you great, Im also guessing it will be a lot easier to sync your 2 person choreo with slower spins??

Anyway that's just me having a rant, when I watch other staff jugglers all I really care about is how good they are, how clean they are, and equally important for me is are they doing something different from other staff jugglers.

I totally agree, I also wish that there were more active passionate staff jugglers.
Guys like you and the other regular posters on this thread are a blessing to me, you will inspire me to be better and to set higher goals.

You guys will also inspire me to make more videos and put a bit more effort into making them. I am terrible at editing but Im determined to try and put music into my next video. I am going to train hard on the foot juggling for the next few weeks and the try and get some decent tricks on film for you guys.

Lets hope other people also post videos and we can keep this momentum going!!!
EDITED_BY: tim_marston (1269280345)
EDIT_REASON: terrible spelling

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
nice promo fire video :-)

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
3m staff juggling!! ha ha comical. we should try it on 2 metre stilts, or a high wire smile

the last trick i described is a dud, god knows what i was on about, the trick is totally different to what i described.

i'll try to do a vid soon, honest.

no bjc for me unfortunately, got a funeral on the 6th frown

good to see a slight resurgance in activity on here, where's the other old schoolers? bluecat, entheogen, seb, antii and so on? too busy working maybes?

NikoFLOWnewbie
27 posts

Posted:
You are right -> easier to sync 2 person choreo with slower spins. sychronised coreos are what we mostly try to do. Audience loves those smile On the stage we rather do easier tricks syncronised than best tricks we can do unsychronised.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Wise words dude,

It takes confidence to not perform at the edge of your capabilities, to many jugglers try to do their hardest tricks on stage and this means they either drop to much or don't look clean enough.

I also agree that crowds like synced choreos, if you are going to have more than one performer on stage you must be very tight with the choreo. The synced sections in your video are great smile

For me I will always perform as a solo artist so my approach has to be different.

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Niko, your last video is really impressive, and very inspiring.
Keep it up!
Passings.. I wish I had someone to work on them with.

Tim
I've tried to add spin to those backcrosses. Not the whole cascade, but to single ones while running normal cascade.
After a catch, arm goes back and makes spin already in a wall plain behind the back. Another hand also goes back and spins it. Had problems with staffs hitting each other with arm in normal position.

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Tim,
Here you go , 3 parts.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Cheers K
Its great that Seb has finally stopped wearing skirts and gone for trousers like a real man!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
ok sorry if this has been posted already but wouldnt it be alot like batton twirling and throwing and stuff so couldnt you use that if you know it?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Midkiff, I dont want to be rude dude but if your gonna post at least put a little effort in!

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
I did perform a bit of triple staff at the end of performance in Kiev Fire Fest. Here's the video.

NikoFLOWnewbie
27 posts

Posted:
Well done Konstantin!

Who is coming to EJC?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
aaaah.

after a year off due to injury, I got a good juggle in yesterday.

back to the grindstone, and looking forward to some new tricks soon smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Rob !! hug ubblove

ninja

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
New stuff from "Sania"

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
wow Konstantin ... awesome show smile

JohnnyFettuciniBRONZE Member
Mr Pasta
44 posts

Posted:
Wohow! It´s great to see that ye old staff juggling forum is still around! smile Hope all is well with you all!

Maybe it is time for that project Ima and I talked about awhile back now.. the "[Juggling] Staff Only part 2"! I know Tim & myself likes it but what about all of you?

Cheers! Your pasta in need! /Johnny Fettucini

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
okay some mad idea - that may be possible.
Do it not because it looks great, but do it because it would be possible.

The idea I have got in my head is, that you would do normal staff juggling but throw and catch the staffs out or in a fishtail.

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Johnny, I'd love to take part in if the project.

WarriOr, It would look like slap juggling I guess. And maybe a bit harder then 3 devil sticks

NikoFLOWnewbie
27 posts

Posted:
Our show @ EJC 2010

Mr Pasta
44 posts

Posted:
Great! I will be doing the editing of the video this time around and any ideas and thoughts you might have just spit it out! smile

What we would have to do is of course raise the bar alittle bit in terms of entertainment and also raise the level of staff juggling involved!

There is no need to rush it but it would be great (and it will also help the video get done) to set the end date for video submissions at the end of september! What do you think?

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Niko, combination with trickers looks great. And the whole show is really good.

Johnny, end of september is nice. Just before you have to go practice inside with sometimes not enough space for high throws

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
NikoFLOW> great show smile
wish I had seen it live in Finland !

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Hey guys
Nice work on the videos and the shows, its great to see people staff juggling smile
I am happy to put some footage in for the video but the end of September isn't enough time for me, to be honest I dont think I will have enough time until January of next year.
From now until Christmas I will be very busy doing gigs and training for them so I wont have to time o get my tricks clean and then film them.
Maybe you guys should go ahead without me and I will make a video on my own early next year.?

Mr Pasta
44 posts

Posted:
Hey Tim!

How about you film some of your stuff from your gigs? Would that work? smile

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Hey Johnny.

My show only has the tricks in that you guys have all seen already.......

All my new tricks are not ready to perform yet.
The only new tricks I have on video so far are these ones....

Sorry dude, I know it's not much use but I tend to move very slowly when learninig new tricks.

Mr Pasta
44 posts

Posted:
@Tim

Those are some sweet moves man smile I think they will do fine.
It all depends on what you feel about us using that in the vid really?

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
I'm super keen!
been working on some stuff for this grin
how should I get footage to you?

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
thanks johnny smile
im very happy for you to use this, i will try and get a bit more rough footage together but no promises

Page: ......