gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I have a problem mad when I take photo's of fire breathing and poi all you see is a white flsh or blur that looks terrible.I see photo's on www.Incendium.org and here and the photo's (epecially of breathing look great). I have tried digital normal and vieo cameras.some times they are ok but the breathing if never ok. HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT confused i want cool cool photos aswell Helppeace out garbo tongue:

be excellent to each other: safe:

tcwmember
6 posts

Posted:
no flashflash screws up the pic

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've done a little fire-dance shooting with both digital and film cameras (not fire-breathing, though). Here are some things I've found:If your camera permits "slow" flash, use that. This uses a long exposure, as with no flash, and at the end of the exposure the flash is triggered. This way, you get the sweep of the blaze, but the frozen image of the person.With film cameras, use the fastest film you can, especially if you choose not to use the flash. ASA 1000 or better. With digicams, use the fastest setting and push it (on mine, that's ASA 400 -3 EV).Manual focusing or prefocusing is critical to catching just the right moment.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
The best pictures we've ever achieved of fire breathing were taken using a piece of trash, $30 camera and 400 film. For fire breathing, we've found that the shorter the exposure the better. We've found that longer exposures with fire breathing picutres gives the fire cloud a washed out sort of look, while shorter exposures give a more textured flame.On the other hand, pictures of spinning and twirling should be taken with longer exposures (somewhere around one or two seconds) to catch those lovely fire trails we all love so much. Too long an exposure however can make a picture look messy. It all basically comes down to experimentation.We always use 400 film, we tried 800 a few times but the pictures came out a little too "grainy" for our liking. We always use manual focus.I hope this helps you out.Ðraevon**based on opinion and personal experience**

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
iv been trying to take some photos of me and my mates firedancing to stick on here for ages... got a few shots left on this film and im not going to get it devaloped untill if got some fire on it and then im going to stick em on here!! and about time too. one of these days im going to get a film or two round up my firebuddys and go down to the gardans and lots and lots of pic biggrin so its good to find a thread about what kind of seting to use on my camera (sa fancy one a brought of ma dad) ill play around for a bit and hopfully ill have something to show for it in the end. thats thing with night photography and fire. you just got to play with diffrant setting around untill you get some good. longing shutter speeds, and bigger abituers etc. cant wait biggrin

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
wow that was a reeeealy old thread!! never mind rolleyes

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: tcw

no flash

flash screws up the pic

I do not!

(yes, this is an ancient thread!)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.