Forums > Help! > price for fire breathing

Login/Join to Participate

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
i know this may have been discusse before, but im searching and i havent found what im looking for.
basically ive been called to do a fire breathing for a tv show (its gonna be recorded, no live tv to get burnt on wink ), and ive been asked how much i charge. thats the problem, I HAVE NOOO FRIGGIN IDEA!!
any ideas as quick as possible, please?
(theyre waiting for my call, if i dont get any answers im going to say about 120euro, do you think its ok?)
thx very much

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Bearing in mind it's for TV, and you cannot get insurance for yourself (to cover your own injuries) on fire breathing, I think your selling yourself short.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'd say double it at least.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'd say dont bother! .. its not worth your life.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Considering what the're asking for and that all professional requirements for a fire arts show still apply, risk assessments and public liability insurrance etc, fire safety and compliance with any and all local legislation regarding performing arts with fire and I'm assuming this comercial product (show) rather than a charity production, I would be charging in the order of around £400.00 plus any and all expences incurred.

Just to clarify, the production team would getting a set piece, for which they would be expected to get the filming right for, this would cover approximately between 5 and 10 minutes of 'performance'

mark

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
100 billion Dollars (American) would see a secured signature from me.

120 euro.. 400 quid... rolleyes your life, your risk. hug

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
But for the people who do it anyway, it is fair to ask what price is good. I wouldn't do it for any amount of money, but some people are happy knowing the risks and doing it anyway.

For those people, there is no harm in trying to get the price right and not charging too little so as to de-value the art.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
How many takes and how many times will you be expected to do it?

The price should be determined on that, not on the thought that it is a taped tv show, but more on how many times you are expected to put your life on the line.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
make the math:

potential medical bills + cost for cuffin * your remaining life expectancy (without fire breathing) / by the IQ of the person who asks you (insert number below 0) * the number of people watching the show = minimum wage for fire breathers on TV

hug

hope that helps biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

dude thats one sweet equation biggrin

ubblol

£1000 - for 5 mins ubbrollsmile

id also say to the TV dude - firebreathing is crap - check this out:

*does huge staff burnoff*

Bigger - phatter, hotter and ill do it fo half the price wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

Bigger - phatter, hotter and ill do it fo half the price wink

Story of your life isn't it? tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
only youd know wink

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
when asked I quote minimum of £500 to show up then charge £50 per breathe after an agreed number for the original price.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
today was the recording, it went all well, im all right and nobody got hurt smile
ok, so i screwed up with the price... im not happy about it, but well, i guess it was their luck rolleyes
at least i made clear that it was the last time im going to do it for that price...
i had to breath two times, two takes... they liked it, so it was ok smile
i dunno if there is a difference between countries, but when i see your prices i have to think about one thing: do you get bookings at those prices? i know there are a lot of dangers involved, but i think i wouldnt get that for a full body burn here (i sometimes work as a stuntman). i know its different, in one you "just" rolleyes have the fire on your back and run around risking just some burns and in the other you risk chemical burns in the lungs, which aren't funny at all... dunno, i guess im in the wrong country for that confused
and now to top off, anybody from spain know anything about prices here? who knows, they could've been ripping me off without me even knowing frown (maybe its what happens when you trust the people who get you the jobs... redface)

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
oh, and thanks for the answers biggrin

i like this script -> fire breathing

P.S.: dunno if the script works EVERY time wink

Edited for the PS
EDITED_BY: SaBBaS (1170344108)

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
how much do you guys charge for other performances?
ie poi, staff etc. if there is a link i couldn't find it hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
we charge about £300 day rate (workshop and fire show) depends what people want but rarely less than £100 per person

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.