Forums > Social Discussion > How to get round "opinion" arguments.

Login/Join to Participate

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
 Written by: David Whiteland - book of pages

Here is a method for the settlement of dispute between two parties:

1) A&B agree to resolve the dispute. (this is not a trivial step. It requires that a dispute exists and that it's settlement is indeed wanted.)

2) A argues B's case, questioned by b until B is convinced that A can represent B's side.

3) Step 2 is repeated with the roles reversed.

4) Then and only then do A&B demonstrate the false reasoning and unreasonable values they had to adopt in order to uphold the others argument...

When I remember, I always find it very helpful advice. Damn fine book/graphic novel too.

hug

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Interesting theory, but sorry, I think it's a theory only.
EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1166442298)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh Idealism... I remember it with fond nostalgia... rolleyes

If only the more stub... I mean 'Strong Willed' were willing to take this route...

I shall check that out graphic novel out...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Like I said "when I remember" ubblol

Rouge Dragon- Other than human nature do you see any other problems with the method.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Nope, Human nature is pretty much an all-encompassing factor...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chrono333

Rouge Dragon- Other than human nature do you see any other problems with the method.

Um, I see that as being a pretty big hurdle, actually ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
sometimes logic does win out. Richard Feynman has a good anecdote on that.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

monkey_brainsnewbie
8 posts

Posted:
there is no logic in the world

there are only so many days left in this wrold. live each day to the limit. lets all get high!!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'm sure there is smile

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
if there was no logic in the world the whole place would brake down into madness sheep would eat cars. people would suddenly accelerate to the speed of light for no particular reason. people would find there potted plants changed inexplicably into minature zebras. the music of cliff richard would be concidered ground brakeing and edgy. kittens would give birth to snakes, which would in tern begin writeing shakespearian sonets on the back of a flying blue whale and you could simultaniously be 6 compleatly diffrent people at the same time. as entertaining as the world would be (appart from the fact we would all be lissting to cliff richard almost constantly) i dont think its the world we live in smile
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1166447342)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Thanks for ruining the illusion Rob frown

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: robnunchucks

you could simultaniously be 6 compleatly diffrent people at the same time

Would 6 even be real? I'm sure 1+1=2 is defined by logic, so dos that mean that all maths and numbers wouldn't work?

confused

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
im sorry your welcome to still beleave there is no logic in the world if it makes you happy wink but it might cause you problems next time you plow your car though a hedge in a life or death atempt to escape a deadly car eating sheep biggrin

and 6 would be real as well and not been real it would also be equivlent to 6 and to every other number as well as well as not been equal to anything it would also be equal to a monkey devided by a set of bagpipes smile

actualy a world with no logic sounds kinda fun biggrin
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1166447610)

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:

im sorry your welcome to still beleave there is no logic in the world if it makes you happy wink but it might cause you problems next time you plow your car though a hedge in a life or death atempt to escape a deadly car eating sheep biggrin

and 6 would be real as well and not been real it would also be equivlent to 6 and to every other number as well as well as not been equal to anything it would also be equal to a monkey devided by a set of bagpipes smile

actualy a world with no logic sounds kinda fun biggrin

Maybe it's the afterlife eek

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:

it would also be equal to a monkey divided by a set of bagpipes

ubblol AWESOME!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
if the afterlife contained no logic it would both be the afterlife and not be the afterlife simultaiously wink

infact it would be anything you want it to be while at the same time been everything you didn't want it to be as well as everything else and nothing else. in short it would be exacly like a realy realy bad acid trip in which nothing made sence in the slightist and you were totaly confused and bewildred but you understood every facet of the universe in absolute detail.

anyways im geting carryed away with these things there far to fun to think up but i'll stop now i promise biggrin

as for the original post its by no meens a perfect system but its a good one. i beleave most people refer to it as playing devils advocate.
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1166449940)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
This system looks like a variation to the six hats model that Mr. Glass mentioned over on the "good morning, I'd like to have an arguement" thread. I could see it working well in a group situation, but between a couple of individuals,, yep stub...strong willdness could be a real stumbling block.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I was talking to some Jehovah’s Witnesses the other day.

They think that the 2nd coming of Christ happened invisibly in 1914.

I don't think I would ever believe that, no matter how much I understood what they were saying, and I doubt they would ever see my point of view.

I think something more or less the same happens in any debate about a subject that the people involved talk though well.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
debate is imposable unless both sides first state what would falsify there beleafs. only once this is out of the way can each side go about trying to meet the conditions the other has set. also there is the posibily that both sides will falsify each others position meening nether are right.

however with alot of belef particualy religous ones. People will respond that nothing can falsify there beleaf. for example even if you managed to take them back in time some how to meet jesus him self and he told them in no uncertain terms that they had it all wrong. they still wouldn't change there minds. with people like that i agree totaly debate is pointless excersize.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Sorry to be off topic, but rob, can you get firefox 2.0? It has a spell checker built in. And it would be nice if you could use correct english punctuation and grammar.

It makes it easier to read for the people reading your posts.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
What would falsify your belief in scientific methodology Rob?

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Good question!

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
mcp lol fair enough how do you use the spell checker in ff2?

ahhh a very very good question there i had to think about that one biggrin

my beleaf in the scienfic methodology would be falisfyed if we found it imposable to make acurate reliable repeatable predictions with it. so for example say whenever we did testing we got compleatly diffrent results each time and for some reason it became imposable to reliably get the same results in the same experiment no matter how carfuly we did it, results of course includes the probiblity distrbutions for stuff like quantum mechanincs etc. suppose it suddenly became imposable to predict the outcome of any event. or even the probiblity distribution of any event.

so if suddenly 2+2 stop been 4 and suddenly 2+2=15 or 2+2=a small philipeno girl. something along those lines then i'ed have to accept that the fundimental principles of science logic had been compromised and the sciencifc method was useless.

so i guess if someone could show that world didn't behave in a logical predictable way. or if the world suddenly stoped behaveing in a logical way. or if someone could show that the universe just randomly did what ever the hell it felt in a totaly unordered and unpredictable way.

still its a very good question i'll have to give it some more thought try and come up with a more consice definition.

Concise Defination my beleaf in the scientific method would be falisifyed, if it became or someone proved that it was imposable to acurately and repeatably predict the results (results includes probiblity distributions) of any experiment.
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1166549585)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it should work automatically, underlying incorrect words with red squiggles. Just like word. right clicking will bring up a menu with correct word options.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
seems to be on but its not working??
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1166549666)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
get an extension that'll do the same then