Forums > Social Discussion > Mooncups - something all girls should have

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I'm really suprised this hasn't been metioned before on this site, if it has I'm sorry, couldn't find anything despite extensive searching. And yes, this is a very random thread to post after not being on this site for ages, but there you go.

Ok, perhaps this is a bit of a taboo subject for some, if so, look away now. For those of you who haven't heard of a mooncup, you can find all the information on this website here : mooncup homepage It's basically a silicoln cup, which you insert a bit like a tampon to collect all your period, but it has many advantages over normal sanitary protection.

It's green - you don't need to use many, if any pads anymore (or tampons) so it's much better for the enviroment, your not flushing them down the toilet or filling landfill sites.

It's cheap, for around £20 you can have up to ten years of protection, saving yourself around £360 if you use one for 10years.

It's better for you - no risk of toxic shock syndrome, no dryness/soreness from tampons and towels, no chaffing.

There are many more advantages, such as not having to carry bulky san pro around and you don't have to try to smuggle it ' discretely' into the toilet. No more shoving tampons up your sleeves or taking your handbag into the toilet! No more noisy wrappers.

It has to be said that it takes a little bit of getting used to, but after a few goes you get used to putting it in and taking it out, and you have to cut the stem to get the length right. Once you have, however, you can barely feel it.

The 'ick' factor. I was particulary worried that it might be a bit, well, disgusting, but suprisingly its no worse than tampons and towels. I think this is the thing that puts most people off, but you don't even have to look at the blood when you empty the cup and clean it if you don't want to.

I'd just like to point out i have absolutly no connection to the mooncup company except I happened to buy one of their products and think it was amazingly good and wanted to tell everyone about it. I think you can get simular products known as keepers.

The best thing about it is you can try it for three months (for some it can take this long to get used to it) and if you really have problems that can't be solved by the helpful team, then you can get your money back. But believe me, you won't want to give it up.

So why isn't something that makes sense in every way, not least for the enviroment, more widely known about and used? I guess partly that the huge corporations that make millions pounds a year selling sanitary products, don't want to advertise (such as in schools- the tampon lady) something that will make their products nearly redundant.

If you want more information, then try googling, here are some links I found useful:

The official website again review another review

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I'm just a Voyeur of this thread, which makes me think that I'm a bit weird.ubbloco

It's because I don't think I have much expertise on the subject. So nothing to say.bounce2

But thanks to everyone for making me laugh, and for bringing up this taboo subject in suct a groovy way
clap hug eek

Better to be a voyeur than a lurker, lurker makes me sound like I'm hiding in the bushes wearing a trenchcoat.

Drew
(Frequent user of disabled Lavs, But then For a couple of years i was a designer of disabled equipment, so, I was always checking out the fittings and facilities for professional reasons. biggrin )

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
So not for random amateur anatomical scribblings or phone numbers then...?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
better a lurker with a trenchcoat than a voyeur with nothing but a bondage mask, Drew, but I'll not tell you about that one here because of the PG-ness and all that!

And Holly, sorry if it seems we're just having a laugh! It was great to bring up the subject and it's given lots of people new ideas I think, it's just us "not for me" people being a bit silly hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Is it wrong that I've just been on google to find out more about this product considering that (hopefully) I will never use one?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
Not at all....

it's worse googling it with your mother to find out what it is about.....

that was pretty scary....

umm

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Mithi Asked me to post "The menstrual Tango"
https://www.jamieanderson.com/mp3s/tango.mp3
by Jamie Anderson

https://www.jamieanderson.com

OFFICIAL MODERATORS NOTICE: "IN THIS THREAD, THERE WILL BE NO MORE MENSTRUATION JOKES, PERIOD."

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
But if everyone used mooncups, what would the menstrual militia fire out of their blow guns?

https://www.tamponcrafts.com/

biggrin

*I'm fairly confident that that sentance has never before been used in the history of mankind.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Mithi... you rock smile

Getting to the other side smile

swingdemonstranger
17 posts

Posted:
Glad you enjoyed the tango - really struck a chord when my sister first put me onto it ...

And speaking of CRAFTS and also RECYCLING, have a look here:

"Menstrual care packages"
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=98335

or

"DIY cloth pads tutorial"
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18462

As for mooncups, I came across them last year in my local East End of London organic goodies shop. I too was put off by the price (something like £25). But considering how much I end up paying on other products, in the long run this might be something worth looking into. If/when I get one, watch this space for feedback ...

OMG, I'm talking menstruation (or as Drew calls them "egg-hatching") products with poi-spinning strangers redface

Missus Glåss

Can't juggle won't juggle .....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
That's ok lady... we're no stranger than the next internet freak ubbloco

See you in Bristol?

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Dunno about these. I kind of figure stuff that wants to come out of you should be allowed to as fast as possible. Horses for courses and all that.

Now, if they could get rid of the 2 pounds of sore, inflated booby weight I'm carrying right now I'd be in there like a shot.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
And the crankiness. And the tears. I'd like them to go too.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
 Written by: misscorinthian

[Shame you can't use it for post natal bleeding though, looks like I shall be walking round with a pad the size of a pillow in my pants for a few weeks then frown

Did u just have a baby then? We have to meet! Pm me. (and you don't need the pillowsized pads for more than a week.)

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, ladies, most everyone who I've put on birth control comes back and reports "My period is just a minor annoyance now, rather than the week from hell that comes every month!"

Just a bit of food for thought...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Perhaps, but altering your natural chemical balance feels not-quite-right...

Admittedly, I'm slightly biased after realising, only when I came off them, how much effect my pill had had on my moods for two years.

smile

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc

You know, ladies, most everyone who I've put on birth control comes back and reports "My period is just a minor annoyance now, rather than the week from hell that comes every month!"

Oh ho, quite the opposite in this department.
I bled for a month after having my first depo injection. I was weak, tired, and had a appitite of an elephant.
And the first 2 weeks after I get it, I'm this godzilla like beast who is mean and nasty frown
Now I don't get any periods, which is kinda awesome, but I can't help but think what its doing to my body.

And I'm so young too, I just hope I havn't done any permanent damage to myself.
Word is it takes 1-2 years for everything to go back to normal after your last injection rolleyes

Right now I'd be thankful for a period, just so I can feel normal again ubblol

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
One thing girls don't realize, though, is that not every pill is right for every female. That's part of the reason there are so many options. If one makes you funky, there are plenty other out there that you can try, and you're bound to find one that doesn't make you cranky, b*itchy, or give you terrible mood swings.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, something to remember.

One of the most dangerous drugs to use in the world with an alarmingly high rate of serious reactions and side-effects is...

ASPIRIN.

With rare exception, the vast majority of prescription drugs are far safer than aspirin. Hormonal contraception has been in use for decades and there is no evidence that it is dangerous unless you are a smoker or have another underlying condition. Even then the risks are still very low.

"But what about my friend who...?" well the thing is that people can draw anecdotal connections between anything. I had a patient in medical school who said that Prozac made her gain 50 pounds. Well, Prozac doesn't do that. Turns out she had a pituitary tumor which gave her the Cushing's Disease. Nothing to do with Prozac. She SWEARS it was the Prozac. It wasn't, but she'll never believe it.

In decades, contraception has come a long way. There are pills, patches, rings, and depo-provera. Somewhere there's an option that will work for most any woman without side-effects. And if you are a menstruating woman who is not interested in having a baby, then you should be having a talk with your doctor.

I just see too many unplanned pregnancies in my job. Entirely too many. frown
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1158355789)

-Mike

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Maybe some of us don't want to take artificial hormones whatever form they come in. I thought this thread was about alternative devices to use instead of disposable tampons and pads, not a thread telling us we should all try the contraceptive pill.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Just a bit of food for thought...

Ok, I have thought about it.

My thought is that when I am on the pill my period becomes less regular, to the extent that I will often just double-check it is coming by taking a home pregnancy test.

For me, it ain't too bad. My housemate, however, really just doesn't quite feel like herself when she is on the pill. That doesn't sound all that bad, but think of it as a slightly disconcerting feeling that your mood is not totally under your control and that your body is just a little bit off-centre.

Hate to be rude, but Lightning, by just dismissing these concerns out of hand you are being very condescending. If this problem was listened to, and acknowledged, maybe some research could be done into why it occurs and then something could be done to change the pill. These symptoms prevent women from taking it, and that directly relates to your concerns.

On a side-note, women's emotional states are often tied very closely to their cycles (dependent on their chemical and physical make-up). And your emotions are actually a large part of who you are. Why would we expect that women wouldn't feel "different" when an influx of the very chemicals that drive their cycle is introduced into their systems?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Written by: Doc

Oh ho, quite the opposite in this department.
I bled for a month after having my first depo injection. I was weak, tired, and had a appitite of an elephant.
And the first 2 weeks after I get it, I'm this godzilla like beast who is mean and nasty frown
Now I don't get any periods, which is kinda awesome, but I can't help but think what its doing to my body.

And I'm so young too, I just hope I havn't done any permanent damage to myself.
Word is it takes 1-2 years for everything to go back to normal after your last injection rolleyes

On Depo I put on 3 stone in 9 months. My Dr kept telling me that it was merely the "increased appetite" causing it, but I was living a very active life and consuming 1000 calories a day and somehow *still* gaining weight, whilst feeling ill and very depressed, at one point the Dr offered me Prozac. I went through several months of hell with my Dr accusing me of lying about my diet (this was before weight gain was added to the list of side effects). When I came off depo and my own hormones came back I also had some interesting effects, including a massive bust expansion, from a C cup to a DD in 4 weeks, and no, that wasn't the weight gain, my weight was stable at the time and I have lost the 3 stone now, but not the bust!
The pill never did it for me either - I had side effects from standard pills, and bleeding with low dose pills. They also turn me into a zombie. I would rather have a couple of stroppy days and a couple of horny days a month than consistant blahness. I ended up getting a coil - which takes a little bit of persuading the Dr when you havn't had kids, but is an absolute godsend.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Kash it sounds like you've been through hell!
Personally I've been on the pill since I was 19, I've been on different types, Dianette, Ovranette and Yasmin to name a couple.
I began on them to help my skin, it was just a nice coincedence they prevented pregnancy too.
smile
I guess I'm lucky because I have a great GP who checks my blood pressure and keeps a close eye on my all the time. smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rozi

Hate to be rude, but Lightning, by just dismissing these concerns out of hand you are being very condescending.

Maybe this merits its own thread?

-Mike

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: Rozi

Hate to be rude, but Lightning, by just dismissing these concerns out of hand you are being very condescending.

Maybe this merits its own thread?

Definitely. You want to start it, or should I?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Page: