Forums > Help! > Offroading Wreck Help?

Login/Join to Participate

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I know, I know, this is really off topic, but I've seen some pretty off topic stuff in HELP! Moderators, I ask only that, if this is in an innapropriate space to please move it somewhere more suitable.

So, last night, I went on a rather bumpy ride along with a friend of mine to go rescue three guys out in these mud pits on an offroad trail. We pulled them out with the Power Wagon, but, now, there's a bigger problem.

The Wagon is stuck. Really stuck.

The actual frame of the truck is sitting on this massive log which was submerged in a seemingly innocuous puddle. We've tried wenching, but there aren't any good anchor points. Anyone have any good advice or a truck they might think they could get the Wagon out with, I'm sure it'd be much appreciated by those trying to get it out right now.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I don't have a truck, and if I did I'm in the wrong country but 2 years ago my friend and I got our land rover stuck so the whole back axel was about 4 inches in the ground and the tow bar was stuck in too.

We got a tractor in the end, but before we did that we dug it out a bit. What we did:

used a ratchet and cord going under the axel up to the frame of the landy so that when we jacked it up the wheel would raise with the farme.

used spades to dig under the landy deep enough to get a jack under.

Jacked it up and boarded the way. Try to get some waffles like these:

Non-Https Image Link

It goes without saying that you should use your 4x4 drive and turn on your diff lock if you can. The last thing you want is your diff kicking in as that will just digg you deeper in.

Remember: Don't try to get out before you've dug LOADS. Lowering the pressure in the tires might help as well, but only do this if you can pump them up again on site. Go out backwards if you can and go very SLOW. Revs high.

erm, you might know all that, but it might be a help!

hug

Good luck. We got stick on someone elses land at 11 at night, in the rain with loads of bugs biting us all the time. We almost got killed by a dog and then we had armed police called on us.

It was still fun though! biggrin ubbloco

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

422 posts

Posted:
Alas, where the Wagon dug in on land, we might get her out that way, but she's actually lifted off the wheels in a pond-like puddle with all the weight resting on the frame on top of the log. There's not really anything beneath the wheels to get purchase on, hence why we kept trying to wench or drag the beast off the log and out. And, rather sadly, although we can't see down in the murky water, it seems like both axles are off the ground.

.... I wish I had MSPaint so I could draw a diagram for you to show what's going on with the Wagon, and maybe we could get a better idea of how to get her out.

See, I feel bad, because I'm not really much help with any of this. Last night was my first time off roading, even just riding along, so I couldn't really know many good ways to haul trucks out of strange predicaments. But the Power Wagon is just such an awesome vehicle that I can see just giving up on it. I mean, it needs a lot of work, but it's just so cool. It'd be like having a cruddy condition old Mustang dug in at Daytona beach. I couldn't give up on that one either.

.... I just don't know.

If I can, I'll download a trial version of photoshop or something to see if I can draw a piccy for you or scan a sketch.

422 posts

Posted:
To offer a bit more of an idea of what is going on....

This is the same make and year ('62 Power Wagon Ambulance) that is lodged in this precarious predicament.

I'm trying to find a map of the trail systems, but I can't. frown

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

.... I wish I had MSPaint so I could draw a diagram for you

Have you ever met someone called Dunc?

I think you'd get on.

Is it something like this:

Non-Https Image Link

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
have a look here for my landy stuck smile

It's almost the same as yours! biggrin

422 posts

Posted:
The front two tires are actually completely clear of the log, and it runs beneath the entire width of the Wagon. The Wagon has also tilted slightly to the left (*towards an embankment)

So, from front to back on both sides, you can somewhat see in the murk:
deep water- tires - massive friggin' log - tires - more deep water

422 posts

Posted:
W00T!

I have just recieved word that the Power Wagon is currently moving! I'm not sure how, and I'm not sure I really care how.

Thanks, though, Sym! Now I know who to ask if we ever hit this again!

.... I'm probably going to check out the damage when the Wagon actually makes it back to the show (*sounds like they've got the wrecker out there, so I don't know exactly it she's moving of her own volition)

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
well done for gettin it out,

for future refernce you should try using a kinetic rope, not many people know about them and they sort out loads of problems. well worth investing in them

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
How did you get it off? I hope it wasn't dragged off as you could have damaged the diff.

Well done though!

lilith_in_londonSILVER Member
149 posts

Posted:
may i ask... what's a kinetic rope? am well curious about these mystical things!

c'est pas nous qui sommes à la rue, c'est la rue kétanou!

1st official camden town (uk) meet 21st october! see the events bit

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
google it ubbangel

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Written by: Kathain_Bowen

.... I wish I had MSPaint so I could draw a diagram for you

Have you ever met someone called Dunc?

I think you'd get on.

Bwahahaaa, yeah baby! MS Paint all the way, the only thing better is wordart! biggrin

Written by:

What's kinnetic rope

Basically, a big strong elastic band smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

422 posts

Posted:
It sounds like a combination of the winch, some shovels, and a chainsaw managed to free the beast. Suffice it to say, I do believe the trail has been greated altered by this whole endeavor.

The Wagon doesn't look in that bad of shape, but no one really wanted to start looking more closely last night. It drove out of the woods, but they towed it to the shop (there is a minor issue with the street legality of the Wagon). We already knew the first trip over the big massive log had practically gutted the muffler and almost ripped the side ladder off.

Full the full, terrible story.... click here.

I must warn you, I don't offroad. So, I claim no responsibility for the trees the boys took down. I also couldn't stop them from playing with lighters and parts cleaner, so I did my best under the circumstances to safety tech for them without the boys knowing so they didn't think I was condoning the activity.