Forums > Social Chat > quotes from books, movies, songs etc that describe you

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Couldn't find a better way to put the title, if someone can think of one I'll happily change it!

So I've been reading Haruki Murakami's "Norwegian Wood" on the weekend, and nearly all of the characters he describes have things about them that remind me of myself, often in a "oh dear, that could've been me!" way. But there's one that really stands out about what I'm like, it came as a bit of a shock to finally have someone put a feeling into words that I never could!

So I was wondering if any of you have ever had an "oh my God! That line was written about me!" moment when reading/watching a movie/listening to a song, or if there's anything you can just really relate to well and in makes you feel all warm and fuzzy or gives you goosebumps?

My 2 are:

"There's always some part of him somewhere that's wide awake and detached. He just has that hunger that won't go away. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about." (from the book; swap the "he"s for "she"s obviously)

and for some weird reason from Third Eye Blind's "semi-charmed life": "and the four right chords can make me cry" - pretty much sums up how music can touch you smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
from black books

"your just a beard with an idiot hanging off it"

biggrin

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Mine is (was?) from the song 'ask for answers' by Placebo. When Brian molko sings 'Always falling to the floor... softer than it was before' always gives me goosebumps, think I felt just like that when the song first came out. I'm a bit of a happier person now though, but it still gives me shivers.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
definitely. It's from "Success", written by Martin Amis. Unfortunately, with the censored version (yes, this is a PG thread, regards to the Mods) some nuances of the quotation might be lost:

censored car, censored streetlamp, censored censored.

Or something like that. Well, those who read the book will know what I'm talking about.

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

There he goes -- one of God's own prototypes -- a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... and too rare to die.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
isnt it, i wanted be first to get it in, plus anyone that knows me can vouch its on point

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Doesn't describe me so much as how I occasionally feel.

"Life is an ineffable game of poker played in the dark with blank cards, in front of a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and smiles all the time."

Not the correct quote I'm sure, but as close as I can remember.

Or perhaps:
"The time warp is for sexually repressed accountants and under grad students who have too many posters of Big Blue, Betty Blue, Blues Brothers, and Blue Velvet on their Blue bloody walls!"

I was that sad student.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
have to agree with brigit on the "and the four right chords can make me cry" bit...

but more to the point, the dresden dolls, from half-jack:

"half accidental, half pain, full instrumental"
EDITED_BY: FoxInDocs (1156340867)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Most Early,, hell most John Cusack films or rather most of the characters he plays in said films tend to scream me on the most part,, I always did identify with him strongly. But heres the quote of his that screams me,, and yes I'm a NiK

Lady in car: What are you gonna name it?
Alison: What?
Lady in car: The baby.
Alison: Well, if it's a girl, Cynthia, and if it's a boy, Elliot.
Lady in car: Those are lovely names.
Gib: Elliot? You're gonna name the kid Elliot? No, you can't name the kid Elliot. Elliot is a fat kid with glasses who eats paste. You're not gonna name the kid Elliot. You gotta give him a real name. Give him a name! Like Nick.
Alison: Nick?
Gib: Yeah, Nick! Nick's the kinda guy you can trust. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kinda guy you drink beers with. The kinda guy that doesn't care if you puke in his car. Nick!

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
@ravehead: yay, gotta love Dylan Moran (and Bill Bailey!!)

@Arthur Brown: YAY, Spaced!! I was that kid, too, though my walls weren't blue smile

@everyone: good choices biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
"Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willna be fooled again!"

OK, if you cut out the bits about the Feegles its more accurate... but you get the gist.
EDITED_BY: wonderloey (1156399488)

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
"William Wallace is seven feet tall, shoots fireballs from his eyes and lightening bolts from his arse!"

- Braveheart, starring mel gibson...

the dude that said that is me down to a T... tongue

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
"But I poop from there."

Ass Ventura Crack Detective.