Forums > Social Chat > military wants me back! haha

Login/Join to Participate

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
crazy thing happened today, the marines called my house offering me a chance to come back for a year. i would move to north carolina and be there for one year and make my regular salary plus about 1000 dollars extra a month. so this would be about 40 thousand dollars for the years woth of work. and i think it is quite a bit cheaper to live in north carolina. crazy as i am about to start school and am actually thinking about doing it. hmm, that would mean i would be able to visit all the poi people on the east coast which would be fun. but i dont know. any thoughts?

i can either stay here and struggle through my LVN school for the next year trying to make car payment and rent from unemployment and the GI bill. or go away for a year and save up a little money, pay off my car and be ready for school in a year. whats a year in life anyways. but i would have to go back to the BS of military life. change my hair back to its regular color (its blue right now) buy uniforms again and conform back to a marine. funny how life works sometimes...

anyone got a light?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
The twists and turns of life...

What's the guarantee that you'll stay in North Carolina for long. In the UK at least most people I know with military grade vices attached to their balls are now being called up for duty somewhere a bit more on the hot and sandy side! And once you've signed can they extend for longer?

If you're willing to go back to military life and a year ain't going to affect school too much I'd be tempted to get a bit more money together. However I'd do it in a bit more of a pacifist fashion

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Dude, stay attached to the first civ div and get outta the country hehe lest you be drafted!

Serius bud the money aint worth it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
coming from ray (who happens to be still stuck where he is) I would not rush to any snap decisions. You have your freedom, and if it gets hot and sandy you might just be thinking you would have been better off slaving away in so cal than getting shot at or nuked at or anthraxed at....etc, etc.

we are likely about to go kill some and be killed some, and nobody knows what saddam might unleash over there if we attack. I seem to remember you being happy to be out in time (they can keep you once you go back in right?) and didn't they just put a freeze on people leaving?

How much money is your freedom, or your life worth?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
for that matter, ever since my ASVAB the military hasn't stopped bugging me to join. But I am to wild and crazy to fit in, and I know it. If I got drafted that would be a different story, but I am not going to voluntarily give up my freedom. I'll fight for the USA if it comes to it, but I'm not going to join under my own free will.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just an idea of thinking about it. By delaying your schooling for a year you're going to have to delay your graduation and therefore your serious income after graduation by another year. The 40K isn't that much when you think about losing a year of post college income. Actually, over a 10 year period, you'd probably be loosing income by delaying your entry into the workforce and promotions associated with, no?

Just playin' the numbers game. It's hard to turn down cash at a young age but think of what you're delaying down the road.

Good luck either way.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Pozee. NYC, Santana, and Dom all have good points.

You join back up, even for a year, and what's to say they are going to let you out?

What's to say they don't ship you off to Iraq to get yourself a nice case of Gulf War Syndrome? We still haven't figured out what caused it, but I've seen a few cases at the VA and it ain't pretty.

Go back to school. This is a bad time to be in the Military. Just ask Ray.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
pozee - please listen to your heart - not your wallet. hehehee: I'm qualified to say that now!

We want you in one big sexy piece - not in a million little burned bits.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think what everybody is trying to say is "we love you" (each in our own special way) and we don't want you to be put in harms way just so you can get some quick cash. But, if that is what you want to do, then we will support your choice.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
*Still yet to meet the infamous "pozee" he hears so much about*

I think Flash put it best about following your heart.

[ 16. February 2003, 20:47: Message edited by: poiaholic22 ]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
one consideration:

If they call back military personel who've been let out in the last year, you'll go back anyway, and w/o the benefits.

Everything everyone else says is true, and honestly i think it'd be better to stay free of the b.s. If you can get any kind of a garuntee you'll stay in N.C. tho, it might be worth it to do that instead of being pulled back into the military and likely into action teh hard way.

My friend's fiancee is at Pendelton now,(USMC) and they're waiting in fear for when he leaves. A good friend's ex is in afgahnistan, and that's creepy too, he's a paratrooper, we know some air force in af. too. I dunno pozee. I would run like hell to another country. But if ur gonna stay, look at both sides of teh gamble.

peace & love, kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Hiya Pozee... I think you have to decide if you want to try out a new living place for a year while having the same structure that you've had these last few years of military rules and lifestyle. If you can see yourself in that life again - plus an extra grand a month, and if that seems good, go for it. If, however, you are stoked at being able to start school and let your hair grow long and live free of the military, that's what you should do. Good luck in your decisions, and if there's any chance that they might send you away from N.C., I'd say no! take care and call me.. I'd love to spin soon!

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Don't join the army for money pozee, just pimp yourself off to all the chicks on HoP, I mean they are all only drooling over your pictures

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Quick run to Canada. Come up and hang with us Canucks

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
decided to stay and go to school. thanks all, oh and if anyone wants to proposition me feel free...

uh yeah anyways, good point kyri but i think that since i am enrolled in school they cant pull me out.

oh and now my hair is purple...

anyone got a light?

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
good, pozee, good. Blue was to close to my turquoise.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*propositions pozee

heheee - I called shot-gun! sorry ladies.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
grrrr baby...

anyone got a light?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yay purple

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
yeah!!! i was hoping that would be your decision!!! I hope you're enjoying school. Give me a ring when you're in town!

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
I just read a couple post on the thread then went straight for the reply clicker. Don't go back to the military. Not unless you're looking for a last resort. My ETS date is in a month and they just stop-lossed me. I bet they'll do the same to you once they have you. Besides the money what else do you have to look forword to in the military? Did you have a nice job? I would hope you're not going to delay school to be a grunt.

That's a lot of money for the military to be giving to one person. If you decide to do it you might want to study your contract hard to see if there are any loop holes. If they do pay you an extra grand a month a lot of it will be taxed. So it might not be as much money as it seemed. Although, if you do go over to fight then you won't be taxed...hmmmmm. No! I started going in the wrong direction for a second.

Twelve grand is a big bonus for just a year. So just keep in mind, if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

The only people who count are the people who care.

PoiKingmember
23 posts

Posted:
i suppose i should have kept reading. My post isn't very important now.

The only people who count are the people who care.