Forums > Help! > Seeking instructor or video...

Login/Join to Participate

SapphireChickennewbie
13 posts

Posted:
I have a 10 year old daughter that has been spinning for 4 years. She burned for the 1st time 2 months ago. She picks stuff up so easy she can watch someone and pick it up in a matter of minutes. I was hoping to find some good videos or DVD’s. I saw a couple on the site, but wasn’t sure what was good and what isn’t.

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
scales of poi is a very good instructional video

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
poi or staff?either way there is loads of free stuff on here that will help,you can also try local juggling clubs or conventions(just google searcg for details of your nearest)
i wouldnt recomend spending much money cos there is so much free stuff easily available
encouraging her to create her own style and tricks would also be something i would strongly recomend,

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Your 10 year old daughter spins fire? eek

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
this isnt nessecarily a bad thing,although i would strongly advise you research health and safety issues around this very carefully,
always dress her in natural fibres,never let her burn with any hairspray on,always have a bucket or two(preferably)of water with a small dash of fairy liquid,always have a powder extingusher and a fire blanket both cheap and easy to buy from most diy shops,
bear in mind wind direction
any flammable substances nearby
,drunken people etc that could ruin something that is supposed to be fun
also think about fume inhalation from burning wicks........................

SapphireChickennewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Oh yes my 10 year old is a wonderful performer. She spins poi. I have had Gypsies try to buy her and a lot of really good spinners say that she is better and more focused than a lot of adults. I am just afraid that if she doesn’t continue to challenge herself she will get bored.

We are always safe. She has what she calls her Spin jeans, and she prefers to spin barefoot as she feels in control. She also wears her hair braided back, wet and with a bandana on. We always have reliaible spotters( I only allow other spinners to spot her) and we check each link and the straps befor every spin.

We have a few really good spinners that have taught her a lot including how to react if she gets scared of hurt. She had one accident and never paniced. She dropped her head put her arms straight out in front of her and waited for the spotter, that immediately took her que and jumped up and took care of everything.

Only 1 question…. What’s Fairy Liquid?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Its basically washing up liquid for all you non-fairy liquid consuming countries.

ubblol

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
You mean... people havent heard of fairy liquid?? eek

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
If you`re worried about your daughter getting bored through not feeling challenged, I recommend learning other things as well as poi.

I`m exactly the same. then I found contact juggling, and am taking great pleasure in pushing myself constantly to break the boundaries of what I can do. contact juggling is the way forward in my opinion. I`m constantly learning new things about what my body can do, as well as picking up new moves and Ideas from every person I see with a ball, Newbie and pro alike.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I would encorage her to find / invent her own movements and tricks, hopefully she'll learn to be creative and to be self motivated and it's hugely more rewarding to make something up yourself and learn it, than it is to learn something that somebody else can do. (Even if somebody else can already do the movement, but you don't know it.)

Having friends that spin is also a good way to keep chalenging yourself to learn new tricks to show them and to learn their new tricks. (it's either that, or taking her to spinning meets...)

Good dvd's / videos well yeah scales of poi is very good. Hard to tell if it would interest a young person. Try videos like:

https://www.playpoi.com/global/videos/dervishly_yers.wmv

https://poicommunity.poke1.jp/net/video/yuta.wmv

https://people.brandeis.edu/~bradg/Favorite%20Poi%20Vids/dinosaurs%20ate%20our%20circles.wmv

or any of ros and oli's videos:

[Old link]

then

https://bluecat.tepookatoys.com/upload/blackandbluefull.wmv

https://bluecat.tepookatoys.com/upload/ss1%201.0.avi

and more at that link url.

https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ChrisRovo

also ry has some nice spinning videos... maybe he'll pop in and post them.

there's probably others, but really I'm not all that into watching poi videos.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Liquifies_Through_Contact

I`m constantly learning new things about what my body can do

Finally hit puberty then ed wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Asena

Finally hit puberty then ed wink

Yeah, just the other week, in fact...

I wouldn`t worry too much, though Dude... you`ll get there as well one day...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

SapphireChickennewbie
13 posts

Posted:
WOW! Thanks guys! This should be helpful… I have another question…. But I think I may start a new thread for that 

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
one point is not to push to hard,your daughters love for twirling could easily be spoiled if it becomes a chore,i believewgood performance comes from the heart and cannot be forced ,
where is next question?

SapphireChickennewbie
13 posts

Posted:
I TOTALLY GET THAT. MY MOM WAS A STAGE MOM AND PUSHED ME( I DID BALLET) AND I COULD OF GONE FAR BUT HER PUSHING MADE ME LOOSE INTREST. I DON’T TELL ER SHE HAS TO DO IT, BUT I ASK THAT IS SHE WANTS TO CONTINUE SHE HAS TO PRACTICE TO KEEP UP HER EDGE AND LEARN NEW THIGS. SHE IS THE ONE WHO WANTED ME TO LOOK FOR MORE STUFF FOR HER.

NEXT QUESTION…AGE DISCRIMINATION

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
wicked......that means you are a real cool mum
where are you from?
i hope one day i get to see your daughter burn
can we have a video please?
(lots of advise on here about how to make a good firevideo)

if she is keen(whats "her" name by the way?)to learn more stuff try encouraging her to move or dance while twirling that opens up much more space for creativity and therefor showmanship,
another tip is to try and build tricks into a routine to music,
if you have a beginning a middle and an end for example.
if you watch professionall jugglers they usually finish each section of their routine with a fancy stop/pose................................
this allows people to absorb the tricks think wow and clap(hopefully)
one nice poi finish is to throw both pois out onto the ground in front of you as you bend/kneel down and or bow..................