Forums > Social Chat > Why I love Latino culture

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So once upon a time, the Puerto Ricans decided that there needed to be a big party. And they said "Let's have a big party in the middle of Spanish Harlem and call it Puerto Rican Pride Day."

And word got out in the Puerto Rican community and they all said "Oh good! Because any excuse for a party is a great excuse for a party. And besides, we're Puerto Rican and proud to be it, so great!"

And the Mexicans got wind of it and said "That's fantastic, because any excuse for a party is a great excuse for a party! Let's go and show our unity!" And then the Cubans and Dominicans found out about it and decided to show up because any excuse for a party is a great excuse for a party...and then the Ecuadorians and the Colombians and even some rare birds like some Argentines and even one Spanish family that startled me so much by their presence that I had to stop them and ask them what the hell they were doing there and they all showed up just because...

...any excuse for a party is...well you get the idea.

And that's why when I walked out of my front door today the street was blocked off, jammed with people (including a VERY large amount of gorgeous Puerto Rican men, especially the ones manning the Army National Guard recruiting station), puerto rican bunting and flags, and just about every other ethnicity wandering around, buying things, playing with their kids, dancing, having fun and packing the local businesses (the little lady in my local bakery was ecstatic!).

We English-speaking people need to take a lesson from these folks. ubbrollsmile

¡Que viva Puerto Rico! biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmmmmmmm "any excuse for a party is a good excuse for a party".....................maybe this is why i try to get out of the town centers and into the countryside to have some fun;)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
You know its funny because I was hanging out with a (wonderful, sweet, and geeky) puerto rican guy last night, and somewhere along the line we came to the "I don't usually go for latin guys" line. And his jaw about hit the floor because apprently I'm only the second person in his life that has ever, well, noticed? I don't see how anyone could miss it!

But thats just me. And totally tangential. And I thought it was tomorrow, maybe its a two day party? Either way it sounds like a blast, and we could stand to learn a lot of lessons from the latinos in our lives, not just that one.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Other things I've learned from Latinos:
1) Coffee is best enjoyed really sweet.
2) Life is too short to waste on bad food.
3) Stop getting hung up on big ideas and just relax. There's enough room for everyone.
4) There is no such thing as a bad excuse to have a party.
5) Family and friends are more important than work.
6) Treat women and your elders with respect and courtesy.
7) There's a way around most problems.
8) Be self-reliant and strong.
9) And proud.
10) And are you sure you aren't hungry? Here, eat more! biggrin

-Mike

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
bounce I want to party with the Puerto Ricans! bounce2

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
11) You can drink caffeine all day and be really really calm, relaxed, and slow.

(I havn't found this true of american latinos, but man, in uruguy I swear...)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh and 12. "Why rush?"

-Mike

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
12 has been a philosophy that I uphold as much as possible.

biggrin

*goes back to bed*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
ditto

I follow many of those virtues, 12 being the strongest biggrin

*doesnt go back to bed, instead goes to play out in the sun*

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
12 is something I could stand to learn. Its not just latinos in america who realize it though, the south is another place where you can learn the virtue's of not living life in the "hurry up and wait" philosophy.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
(including a VERY large amount of gorgeous Puerto Rican men, especially the ones manning the Army National Guard recruiting station)

Non-Https Image Link

Surly thats the only reason smile

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, the Army National Guard was kind enough to provide a recruiting station complete with Puerto Rican Army National Guardsmen.

Who was I to complain?

-Mike

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
My brazilian mother doesn't meet most of your points:

1) prefers coffee black with little sugar.
2) She cooks better than the English, but her variety at the moment is limited and repetitive. She also uses TOO much salt.
3) She's paranoid, can be very erratic, and has a hot latino temper.
4) Doesn't seem that keen when my siblings and I want to arrange parties.
7) She's the most confusing, irrational person I've ever met, and seems to create more problems than she solves.
8) I'm the mother in our relationship (have been since I was 16). She relies on everyone but herself.
10) she eats so little that it worries me.

frown

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
brazilian is a horse of a different color

This is going to sound very racist...

First PR I hung with was a pimp who was trying to serve the LKs and the Cobras.

Second PR I hung with suddenly went psycho tried to kill me, himself, broke into my parents house, lost the barrier between reality and fantasy, hit me, isolated me, and raped me, later went on to beat and rape a girl so bad, I think she died. The fact that he is LK didn't help either.

Milwaukee has a relatively quiet existence with our gangs, gd hangs with folks to get stuff done, but no one messes with the PRs cause they just kill people, are vicious.

On the otherhand, my grandmother made the best food and they all were so giving. Coffee so sweet to rot out your teeth. Basically on the list, my grandparents did it (mex/aztec and spanish tejano)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
Brazilian is a horse of a different colour?

Sorry, I got lost in that description, with all your abbreviations. But from what I could understand, it sounds terrible, and I'm deeply sorry. Though you can't hold two men (or more), accountable for the rest of the ethnicity.

3,556 posts

Posted:
pr-puerto ricans-i know you know that

lk-latin kings

gd-gansta disciples?

well, it is not just those two men. Those two are just a couple of vivid examples that I have

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
Still, even though it's gangs, that doesn't represent the rest of the ethnicity. They're a product of their environment.

Also, I'm interested in understanding what you meant about Brazilians being a horse of a different colour. I wasn't raised with all these sayings (proverbs?), so I don't understand half of them.
EDITED_BY: daize (1150226046)

3,556 posts

Posted:
Idioms:
a horse of another/a different color
Another matter entirely; something else.
could be considered a wizard of oz reference
brazilians are brazilians...they have a culture that is theirs alone. I forgot but are they more portuguese?

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: daize

My brazilian mother doesn't meet most of your points:

1) prefers coffee black with little sugar.
2) She cooks better than the English, but her variety at the moment is limited and repetitive. She also uses TOO much salt.
3) She's paranoid, can be very erratic, and has a hot latino temper.
4) Doesn't seem that keen when my siblings and I want to arrange parties.
7) She's the most confusing, irrational person I've ever met, and seems to create more problems than she solves.
8) I'm the mother in our relationship (have been since I was 16). She relies on everyone but herself.
10) she eats so little that it worries me.

frown

Brazilians aren't Latino. Well, they are, but not Hispanohablante.

And not all Latinos are really examples of this. It's just the cultural values in general. Well, the coffee varies from place to place.

-Mike

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
So do all other latinos other than Portuguese and Brazilians speak spanish?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
We have a gang issue here. It tends to be mostly the Caribbean Latino 2nd-generation and further immigrants doing it. Cuban, PR, and Dominican. Having said that, the majority are fine. Dress like hoods, but they're harmless.

Not as many Mexicans in on it. Now, I didn't know that there were LK in Milwaukee.

-Mike

3,556 posts

Posted:
oooh yeah
they aren't so bad
I think the PRs are newer and feel like they need to make everyone know they are there and important
just like playground bullies
most people don't think it's that bad, but when you find yourself plopped in the middle of it, you realize how big it is

Faith

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

This is going to sound very racist...

Anytime you judge several million people on the actions of a few it's going to sound racist... because it is.

Judging all Puerto Ricans on the basis of Latin Kings would be like me judging all Christians on my experiences with you.

Wait... aren't Puerto Rican's Catholic? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
we have violent puerto ricans where i work.

I play soccer with an awesome geeky puerto rican.

i met a shy silly artistic puerto rican in primary school.

i don't usually ask about people's ethnicity so i can't give you more examples, but its not all about ethnicity, its all about where you are. i mean, brooklyns got some crazy stuff goin' on, but not all parts, and that would be a completly pointless way to judge, say, people of the same race/religion who live in kansas, etc.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I was a cheerleader for Puerto Rico once...

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

3,556 posts

Posted:
cool...
I am just saying that I have not had any good experiences with this culture, it sucks, but I avoid them, and when I don't my purse is stolen, my ex gets beat up, they it my car to get to me, try to cut a friend, ripped friend off and up, threatened my life
I know there are good ones out there-they just don't run in my circle and that is my fault and all that other crap

I don't know that PR gang is a division of LK, my gang family tree is still a little fuzzy...I think they are a derivitive of GD or completely on their own...no one messes with them around here

Faith